Dish network with no receiver?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rhbickham, Oct 21, 2019.

1. rhbickham

rhbickham New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I visited a friend in a nursing home today. He said they switched from cable to dish network and they could not get his Vizio flat screen to work. They had to use an old tube TV to get any stations. There is no receiver connected to the TV, just coax straight out of the wall. Is it possible to have Dish Network or Directv for the whole nursing home and not require receivers in each room? And if so what would I have to get to make his Vizio to work with this setup? Thanks for any help!!!

sparky27 likes this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes, distributed systems like this are fairly common in multiple dweller locations like nursing homes, hotels/motels, campgrounds, hospitals, etc. Cable is the most common service used for head end distribution systems of course, but the source can also be satellite service or even a master antenna setup that only carries OTA channels. The head end is equipped with receivers for each channel the system owner has selected to carry, and each channel is distributed to the users over the same wire, so no STB's are needed. The usual requirement when switching service sources at the users end is just to rescan the channels with the TV set to cable mode. That the older TV works suggests to me that the distribution system may be using the older analog NTSC format instead of the newer ATSC standard. A full rescan with the Vizio set to "Cable" may straighten out the problem.

tampa8, Michael P and sparky27 like this.
  3. rhbickham

rhbickham New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Thank You!! Next time I go see him I will give it a try.

tampa8, sparky27 and NYDutch like this.
  4. rhbickham

rhbickham New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Thanks NYDutch !!! Went to see him yesterday and got his Vizio to receive all his channels. He said we made his day!!!

tampa8 and NYDutch like this.