1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish now testing local on the 8's

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sharklover, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    They have been testing and sometimes on channel 214 during local on the 8's the test symbol will come up and if you mash your select it takes you to your local weather.Hopefully it will finally be implemented in July.

2. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    been watching it today, has not happened on my 522 or my 721.

3. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Their now doing it before local on the 8's comes on.They may be just doing it on some receivers.Some people with 622's have seen it.

4. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Happened to catch this on my 622 yesterday and pressed 'select'. What you get is exactly what you get on ch. 100, not the 'real' local forecast from the Weather Channel. And when I tried to exit it hung the system. Finally tried punching in a different channel and that worked.

I can understand the exit problem since this is still in test phase. I'm not likely to use the feature though now that I've seen what's going to be available. The information is sparse compared to the 'real' local forecast and there apparently will be no weather warning information. Internet or local stations still remain the best source for weather.

5. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Weather alerts are suppose to be available, at least eventually. But certainly its less valuable then local stations.

6. eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    I am very glad to hear this. Now I will be getting the animated radar that I have been hoping for. I like the fact that the symbol comes up and you "mash" the select button. I believe that you infact do have to hit it fast. The chance might leave you quick, huh.

7. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Yes, now it is working on my 522, not 721. It comes up AFTER the locals on the 8's runs through, it did hang up my reciever also, had to channel up.

8. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I have the 301 and 510 and haven't seen it.

9. DJ Lon

DJ Lon Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same happens on my 522.

10. eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    I heard from another forum that it has been sighted on the 322. Hope that they keep up the good work.

11. 31Media

31Media Mentor

Jul 22, 2003
    One of the problem with local forecasts is the mechanism Weather Channel uses to display them. Depending on the cable operator, each area uses either a WeatherStar or IntelliStar system to display the local forecast. The only ways, at least that I can picture, that this couple be deployed for DBS users would be to either

1)Include some variant of the *Star software within the receivers themselves. This would probably be prohibitive due to both cost and hardware problems

2)Include a local version, mapped to that Market Area's main city (IE: Nashville, Philadelphia, Lincoln NE, etc), with the locals package. The software could then include the "local" forecast as it's being uplinked.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What they are doing is pushing the data to the receiver. You can see what in should look like by visiting channel 101 and choosing TWC Weather. It should work rather nicely and load while one is watching 214 TWC without audio/visual interruption.

The full screen alert system should also be put in place that can blank out the entire screen to report severe weather, much like it is done on cable. There should be a small weather icon that appears on every channel when an alert is available. Hopefully this is not the "EAS Tests" that have been reported but something cleaner that doesn't interrupt normal viewing/recording other than a small icon.

The bandwidth isn't there to uplink 210 versions of TWC --- even low bitrate versions for inserting during the 8's. They have to rely on the receiver to do the work.

13. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    So does anyone think that their just testing the one on 100 but when implemented it will be the one that cable gets?I hope so after they promised this.It's going to be a big letdown if they don't give us the cable version.The radar on 100 is too small.I can't tell how close the rain is to my area by looking at that radar.I want the one they have on cable that's just for your area and not several states.Some people have reported the've seen the slideshow but most say their using the one on 100 so I don't know what's going on.I'm thinking about emailing dish and ask them if they know anything about this.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I do not expect it to be any more than what you can see via channel 100 except when there is a severe weather warning. If we do get full screen radar / forecast I'll be pleasantly surprised.

For the most part, the Channel 100 version is enough ... it contains the current and forecast data for each customer (by zip code). Where it falls short is in the size of the radar map (to increase this will require more data on the feed ... and to have smaller regions will also require more data) and regional conditions. Room for improvement.

The larger the data set the longer it will take to feed to all receivers. I'm sure we can all armchair engineer this ... but the folks at E* are the ones that have to make this work. They know the challenges better than we can ever guess.

15. GDSinPA

GDSinPA Cool Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Would be good to have the local forecast (however limited) included on the weather channel, with a closer radar snapshot. I can see how it would be nearly impossible to be the same as cable though.

16. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    They seem to be popping up the weather channel banner on the upper right hand corner of the screen on channel 100.When you click on it it says this feature isn't yet available.This is how it was before the channel 100 weather app went live.Most people saw it 2 days after they saw that message so my thinking is that 601 receivers will have this rolled out in 2 days and the rest of us in a week.I hope I'm right.The message on the banner says interact with your local weather now.The message that it's not available is the error 31 message.

17. EVAC41

EVAC41 Legend

Jun 27, 2006
    When I went to channel 100 and selected TWC it read that data just fine got my current temp and everything. But now when I quit and went back to TV viewing. I have no sound now just video.. UMMM OK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.