1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish or DTV ??? Need suggestions

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Tuckster, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckster

Tuckster New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I just found out I cannot get my local stations in HD with DTV so I need an OTA antenna and their box will not accept an OTA antenna so .... I'm considering Dish. I remember readind sometime ago that Dish HD PQ was not up to Cable or DTV. Anyone care to comment on DISH ????

Thanks for your help.

2. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    It's generally said that Dish PQ is better than Direct or cable. I can say that it's true for SD content. I haven't seen any difference in HD content. And yes, I have had both services in the same day on the same TV to compare.
    Direct receivers don't have a OTA port? I had the old HD Tivo box and it had a port. I didn't know their newer ones didn't.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    DishNetworks HD picture quality is quite good.

What type of display do you have?

Only if you have a high end 1080 i or p display will you be able to see much difference between a 1080X1920 picture and a 1080X1440 picture. In fact most HDTV's resolve at 1080X1280 interlaced or 720X1280 progressive.

Technically most of DishNetworks HD channels are 1080X1440, and it is rumored that the new DirecTV channels are 1080X1920i, so DirecTV's picture is finer, but 75% of all HDTV's can't see the difference, especially if your HDTV is 720p.

4. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    I've had both and I've yet to see reliable statistics that the Dish is better than Direct in PQ. Just saying so don't make it so. Put the two side by side and see how many people can reliably pick one or the other.

Go to one of the satellite TV companies that have both and compare. See for yourself and then decide.

Both companies have receivers and DVRs that offer OTA connections.

Dave

5. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yep agree. PQ is a very subjective thing and can even fluctuate between channels. So depending on a persons viewing habits, equipment, location, and their own perceptions PQ opinions are made.

Personally I would start with your expected viewing habits and then compare companies based on that. If both companies meet your viewing needs then I would start looking at equipment and prices to determine which one to go with.

From what I can tell from reading this boards is most people will be happy with the PQ delivered from either company.

As for the OTA issue. Appears the H21 does not have OTA but there is still one model of the H20 available that does offer an OTA connection. As for E* OTA, I find it works very well with my installation and is nicely integrated into the EPG.

One big plus on the E* side for OTA users is the ability to recorde three HD streams at one time. One OTA and two HD Sat.

6. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    coming from Charter i didn't notice a difference in HD quality...except on the VOOM channels for some reason...but I did notice better SD quality from E* on my regular tv...my not my dlp...sd sucks from both companies on my HDTV

7. Tuckster

Tuckster New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. I have a 720p PJ so it sounds like the PQ issue won't be a factor.
    I think I'll give D* (Dish) a call and see what they have to offer. Do you know if they require a 2 year committment also ??

8. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    Do 18 month commitment if you want all the perks like free in home service plan for 12 months, $50 credit on your first bill, free dish mover. Most retailers will force you into an 18 month just because they are financially responsible if you cancel, but if you go directly to dish you can bypass this issue.

9. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    OH! And Welcome to DBSTALK!!!!

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    E* = Dish (EchoStar)
    D* = DirecTV

And I forgot to give you a warm welcome.. my bad... :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

11. qsoundrich

qsoundrich Cool Member

Nov 7, 2007
    I don't agree that picture quality is totally subjective. I don't know if people are saying that because they know Dish isn't as good as the new D* HD channels or if they don't know the answer....

I haven't seen E* HD yet, so I'm pretty much going on faith that it should be almost as good as my Comcast (Fantastic HD picture, but not enough channels, plus rates keep going up.) I need to make a decision tomorrow on whether I go for D* or E*. The only real thing that D* is offering at this point that I want is Speed HD, but I realize it's not really HD yet, so I'm hopeful if I go with E* they will add it soon.

So can anyone give an objective view on the HD PQ between these services? I mostly watch ESPN and locals, and I'm interested in Voom and the Science-type channels. I've seen ESPN HD on D* in BB and CC and it looks like garbage.

12. drmckenzie

drmckenzie AllStar

Aug 28, 2007
    If it helps any, I just switched from Directv (SD only), to Dish (HD & SD). Most channels are still SD (and even a lot of HD channels are mostly SD), and I was sick of the over-compressed crap Directv dishes out. Everyone talks about resolution, but compression is the thing that really kills a picture. It doesn't matter how many pixels you have if they are all the same value!

Every week, I would have to go and remove half a dozen new channels from my Directv lineup. They didn't seem to care how much they crammed into the same bandwidth. No problem -- just crank up the compression and degrade the picture some more!

Anyway, on a side-by-side comparison between numerous Directv and Dish SD channels, Dish wins by a landslide. To me this shows some integrity, since Dish hasn't succumbed to the over-compression disease.

13. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    No problem disagreeing and my opinion had nothing to do with D* new HD channels.. I have not seen them... My opinion was based on the numerous threads (and I have read lot) discussing which one has better quality over the last year.

Also by subjective I mean from a end users point of view and personally I think it has a lot to do with a persons sensitivity to detail, equipment the persons is viewing the material, and how well the TV the person is viewing it is calibrated etc.. (Another poster mentioned this in better detail than I can). There is so many factors that go into the final quailty of the picture that is why I think whenever a PQ thread starts you here a wide variety of opinions of which is better.

Of course there are some people that have both services and therefore can do a A/B test, but even under the circumstance there are variables like individual input calibration that could effect a persons perception.

In the end.. I think most people would be very happy with PQ from either service and that is why I suggested looking at other variables to make one's decision.

As to an objective opinion.. Good luck.. I have not seen one I would consider objective since started hanging atDBSTalk. Best I think one can hope for is some good subjective opinions of people watching both offerings currently.

14. qsoundrich

qsoundrich Cool Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Hah thanks Ron. Seems like this site is a little better than that .us one when it comes to flame wars. Maybe I was irritated because I got stuck over there reading pages of threads where people are just being cheerleaders for one service over another. :rolleyes: so pointless.

I'll probably go with Dish because it sounds like their equipment is better. The HD offerings are almost a wash at this point, and it doesn't sound like I will be disappointed with the Dish HD picture quality. I'm also hoping I'll be able to pick up PBS OTA, but that's something I could only get on cable anyway.

15. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Yes its generally said on an E* board, just as the opposite is true on the direct forums:rolleyes: PQ is subjective, and you wont see that much difference. Just so you know D* has added alot of channels recently, with around 20 more added today. E* will eventually get them, but its anyones guess as to when. Not telling you to get one over the other, just for your info

D* HD boxes accept OTA unless you get the HR-21 or the H-21. If you want OTA get the HR-20 or H-20

16. mattopia

mattopia AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    It's been about 2 years since I've seen E*'s HD -- before they began rolling out mpeg4... but hopefully I'll be able to see it again in a few hours when the installer shows up! (Looking forward to Rave HD again, hopefully they have more content now...)

My input based on what I've seen over 2 years on HD is that nothing beats OTA broadcasts. Make sure you set up an OTA antenna regardless of which provider you go with -- if you can. With D* you're likely to not get OTA as I believe they are delivering mostly HR21's right now which do not have OTA support. You can, of course, just use your OTA tuner in your TV as well, with no DVR.

Either way, welcome!!

17. booger

booger Legend

Oct 31, 2005
    Why couldn't you setup an OTA? The city I live in is in a hole so to speak and trees block the direction of digital transmissions yet I still get 12 digital channels with a great picture.

18. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    when did you switch?

19. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Definitely agree here. OTA is still top dog in terms of PQ. But when I have done a A/B toggle on my 722 the difference between that and my Dish HD locals in my configuration gap has definitely closed over the last year.

20. qsoundrich

qsoundrich Cool Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Seems DTV added 5 more channels today, but none of them have any HD content yet, and what HD content they DO have will end up on MHD (for VH1 and MTV.)

Biography is a different story, as it will go HD at the end of the month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.