Dish OTA Antennae and Pixlization

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DeputyDawg, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    With Dish, I no longer have one of my local stations (contract dispute issue).

Prior to this Dish installed one of their OTA antennae's, which I have not had to use until recently.

Some days are good others are BAD. Today, despite being a clear sunny day, is a bad day with alot of pixelation.

The TV sits in front of a large window, so the OTA is on the window sill. Moving around sometimes helps.

Should I get an amplifier? If the signal strength coming in is weak then as i'm told an amp wont magically pull in a better signal.

I went to this URL: Antenna Signal Prediction I put in my address and it spit out some kind of map with colored lines going in all directions. Doesn't seem like I can post a screen shot of that.

That same page with the map has this verbiage (which I don't know what means) The station in question for me is color coded YELLOW.

This table lists the stations predicted to be received at this location. It is sorted according to the color-coded antenna type needed to receive each station. The direction to each station is according to Magnetic North. Click on a station’s call sign to discover its sub-channels and current schedule

There is a legend and YELLOW states:

Yellow - Small multi-directional

I am clueless what all this stuff means. Should I get a pre-am for the OTA or plain amp etc etc

Thanks

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the signal gets worse in good weather, there are two possibilities:
    • You're getting too much signal
    • You're getting interference from another station on or near the same channel
    Not until you figure out what the problem is.
    Try this site: RabbitEars.Info

If you get a forecast of a small multi-directional antenna working, then the likelihood is that the signal is too strong and you need to do something to tame it.

3. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks, here is the result of the RabittEars site info.. No clue how to interpret. Station in question is WSB

RabbitEars.Info

p.s. what does repack mean?

pps I could have sworn dish told me that WSB (even though their station is few miles away) that their signal was the furthest away. Will try to confirm

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Repack is a process where most stations changed their physical channel - packing closer together - to free up spectrum for wireless devices. All the moves should have been completed by July 2020. As part of the repack some stations are now sharing a transmitter.

5. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks.. I'm wondering... The OTA that Dish installed (RCA) is probably pretty cheap. Wondering if I should run out to Best Buy and get a decent one.

The one Dish has came with an adapter that connects into the DVR - which in turn allows me to see it in the guide and record things. It has an coax input which i'm sure most OTAs have

6. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    ** UPDATE **

Looking around I found several sites that you plug in your address and it tells you all the stations etc. For this channel it faces south. My OTA is facing West. I changed the position and it seems to be better.

Curious why it has always been in the West and never an issue.. Oh well

Will monitor this for a bit

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While the repack was declared complete, it wasn't really. Many stations have been operating on temporary equipment or at temporary locations.

There is also a movement afoot (though not yet in Atlanta) to install a new broadcast technology, NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0), that is causing some shuffling around of stations between frequencies in certain areas.

From the rabbitears report, you're very close to the towers so you need to be careful about using a powerful antenna. A small antenna would serve you better than something large. WSB in particular is only 3.6 miles away but in a different direction than the other stations. What is called for here is an "omnidirectional" antenna or perhaps turning your existing antenna a little more towards the South but since it is working, I wouldn't mess with it.

DeputyDawg likes this.
  8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    There is definately such a thing as too much signal with digital. But there is also too little signal. The trick is to find the sweet spot for your location and the stations you are trying to recieve. At 3.6 miles - you're way to close to consider an amplifier. As harsh said - if it's working - don't mess with it.

9. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    well it was working till the other day then just got unbearable to watch.
    Moving it to the other window seems to have helped..> Will keep an eye out
    BTW the antenna that Dish gave me (now that I looked behind the tv) has a coax into a small box which is the adapter that in turn goes into the Dish receiver. This adapter does appear to be powered (could be for the dish part and not antenna)

Gonna monitor this for now.

Thanks everyone

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The RCA is actually a pretty competent antenna and in your application, it absolutely shouldn't be powered. You may see better results (or not) if you take the "adapter" (power insjector) out of the system.

OTA antenna placement is always about location and direction.

11. DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg Cool Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks.. will consider it.
    BUT it could be needed for the integration into dish receiver
    For now it appears good, so not messing with it. Also has worked for many months so..