1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Overscan?

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by Sweisford, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Oct 1, 2017 #1 of 13
    Sweisford

Sweisford New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Hi all,

So we've had dish for several years now and the edges of the picture were always cut off. I assumed this was because we had SD boxes with HD TV's, but we just upgraded to HD boxes and the problem is still there. I believe HD channels are fine but since dish only offers like 12 HD channels that doesn't help me much. I've tried every 'format' setting using the * button the remote and that does nothing for the overscan, just changes the size of the picture but edges are still cut off even in 'Normal'. My Insignia only has 2 format options for some reason, 'Wide' and 'Normal' and neither really fixes the problem, although 'Normal' might be marginally less-worse. I found the overscan option on the TV and turning it off helped a decent amount but not completely. My Sony KDS has the same problem, and I can't even find the overscan option for that one, so I'm assuming its just Dish. Other than the * Format button, which I've tried, is there any other way to adjust the picture? Is there an overscan option hidden in the Dish settings?

Thanks for your help!

2. Oct 1, 2017 #2 of 13
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    What do you have for equipment? You posted in the 211 forum is that what you have? DISH has much more than 12 HD channels, how are you connected to the TV HDMI cables?

3. Oct 1, 2017 #3 of 13
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you only see 12 HD channels - you must be using an old style Dish500 on 119 and 110 only. So, a proper HD dish is the first place to start. And that will depend on what local market you are in .

For the "overscan" problem, what receivers are you using ? You can adjust the horizontal and vertical settings for the picture, but the menu option to adjust depends on what receiver models you're using.

4. Oct 2, 2017 #4 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Do dig into settings on your TVs; some of them have Native format (if not you're SOL), eg pixel [from stream] to pixel [of your TV panel]

5. Sweisford

Sweisford New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Sorry, it was a busy week. 12 was a bit of an exaggeration on the HD channels, I just counted 50 total, many of which are movies/PPV. We have a pretty basic package I believe, but that shouldn't affect the picture. The box in my room says VIP222K on the front and is connected to my HDTV with and HDMI cable. I've tried pretty much every setting on the TV and every setting that I can find no the DISH. It shouldn't be this hard.

6. Sweisford

Sweisford New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    I just looked it up, says its a Dish 500 and select satellite 110 or 119. I asked the tech when he came out to change the boxes if we needed a new dish but he said 'No' and that they only have 2 satellites, one of which was blocked by trees on our property so he left the dish as is. Are there settings I can play with to fix this? or will only a new dish/satellite fix it?

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I TOLD you it was a Dish 500 !!

Ok - WHAT LOCALS ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO RECEIVE ? (or what is your location)

That will tell us whether you need an Eastern (61.5, 72.7, opt 77) arc or a Western Arc Dish (110, 119, 129) . Your tech is not current at the least, so you may want to call Dish and tell them you need your HD dish setup correctly (and to send someone else) .

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Most of the HD on your arc (110-119-129) is on 129. Without a new dish you will be missing HD channels that you are paying for.

9. Sweisford

Sweisford New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Southeast PA, ZIP 19465 if that helps, so I guess I have to call DISH and have them send someone out? TBH, the person I spoke to on the phone when scheduling the upgrade said they would have to adjust the dish so I was a little surprised when the tech said he wouldn't. Damnit.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Is that Philadelphia ?

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    After doing some digging, based on your Zip code - You receive the Philadelphia PA locals. If you are stuck on western Arc (110,119,129) - for HD you will not get HD locals from satellite. For that, you need a new dish pointing at eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, opt 77). The eastern Arc Dish is pointing SOUTHEAST, not Southwest like the western arc / Dish500.

I don't know who you was talking to, but someone was not paying attention to what you need.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    And in regard to overscan settings - I also have a VIP222K, and I also see no way to adjust overscan / screen size (besides 16x9 , 4x3 #1, 4x3 #2). I use HDMI output and my TV (an LG 32 inch LCD) is set for a 16x9 picture . my screen is filled adequately ( no need for any adjustments) . My settings on the screen is on 16x9. I'll put it on component (1080i output) and see if anything changes.

13. Sweisford

Sweisford New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Thanks! I'll give them a call and hopefully they send someone else out to fix it. Seems ridiculous to be paying for channels I'm not getting. Hopefully that fixes the issue. Thanks again!