1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Pause disables ext HDD???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sremick, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1 of 15
    sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    After hearing that my position would be terminated in a few months, I took proactive steps to immediately reduce unnecessary expenses. I heard about Dish Pause, and was assured that I'd have access to recorded material on my DVR. Since I have a 722 along with a huge 1TB external hard drive (which contains 99% of the stuff I actually care about), it seemed reasonable and I was depending on being able to still access that huge library of recorded movies during this difficult period.

However, after they activated Dish Pause, I tried to access my external hard drive but the system said that it wasn't activated. I started another chat to complain. Their line? Basically: Oh, we're sorry we lied to you... all that stuff you recorded that we SAID you could still watch, you can't because we're stupid and have no way to keep the external hard drive enabled during Dish Pause, even though it's utterly unfair to the customer and contrary to what we tell you you can do. And despite it being logically and morally wrong, we're not going to fix this bug/incompetency in our system.

For real?

2. Aug 6, 2012 #2 of 15
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    so if when you called to do the pause and they said the ehd would be disabled too, would you have still done the pause to save the money?

3. Aug 6, 2012 #3 of 15
    sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    I might have moved stuff off the ext HDD to the internal (requiring me to delete a lot off the internal but oh well). Now I can't.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #4 of 15
    RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. There is another option besides DISH Pause that would allow you to receive some programming, as well as allow you to access your EHD content. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can go over some more account specific details with you. Thanks!

5. Aug 7, 2012 #5 of 15
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It is a little more expensive than PAUSE, you might try the WELCOME PACK at $14.99 it is the lowest price package and would keep your EHD active.

6. Aug 7, 2012 #6 of 15
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    It's not a bug, it's not morally wrong. You were told recorded material would be available from the DVR, and it is. You are asking for a service that requires you to actually get programming. You have to have an active account to use the EHD, since your account is inactive, the EHD does not get the signal to continue to authorize it.
    The $5 is not only holding your account, it's holding your ability to use the EHD at a later time. Had you dropped the service completely, you would not have been able to access the recordings ever again including if you get another account with Dish.
    Even the lowest package as Boba mentioned will get you access to the EHD plus some programming. If that's not possible, the programs will be there when you can go back to some programming.

You might try asking them if Dish still has the $7 no package fee. (I am not sure they still do) It allows you to keep the account active, and is meant to allow you to add programming not in a regular package, like the Superstations for instance, or the EPIX package without having a core package. But I'm wondering if you can pay the $7, not get any programming, but then be able to use the receiver to watch your EHD recordings.

7. Aug 7, 2012 #7 of 15
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    If you had disconnected the receiver(s) from the dish BEFORE you had the DISH PAUSE put on, you probably could STILL access the hard drive... ;) ;)

8. Aug 7, 2012 #8 of 15
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    That doesn't work.

9. Aug 7, 2012 #9 of 15
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    For MAYBE a week, till the auths expire on the SC. Not a good idea, none-the-less.

10. sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    Except there is nothing magical or special about the recorded material. The external hard drive isn't a "service"... it's something I paid a one-off fee to "enable" in perpetuity. The ext HDD is nothing more than added storage space for the DVR, giving you more space to store more recorded DVR programming. Plain and simple. Files played off the DVR's external HDD are still DVR files being played by and through the DVR. A user is able to freely shuffle files back and forth, to their heart's content, without restriction. Files on the external HDD are useless without an attached DVR... they are encrypted and cannot be played by anything else.

To disable whatever random material was on the external HDD while freely allowing what happens to be on the internal hard drive is totally arbitrary and unnecessary. I was told I'd be able to continue to watch material I recorded, and just would temporarily not be able to receive new programming. I was ok with that, but that is not the reality. Maybe it's a "restriction" within the abilities of their system, but then their system is illogical.

11. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    It's that kind of assumption that has you where you are now. It is not in perpetuity, if you drop Dish service you will never be able to watch that content again, even if you get another Dish account.

It also isn't random. Dish wants you to buy programming from them (the nerve) .to use that feature. And that's what it is, a feature of Dish for those who buy programming, not a right.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is treated as a service, enabled and disabled in the same way that channels can be enabled or disabled on the DVR. You subscribed to EHD service with a one time fee ... just like one can subscribe to "HD for Life" with a one time $99 fee (if they do not want to make the commitment to years of service and auto pay).

DISH Pause pauses all subscription elements ... including the EHD. I would not expect the EHD to be active "in perpetuity" ... only as long as one is an active DISH customer. DISH Pause puts being an active DISH customer on hold.

BTW: Is your receiver leased or owned?

13. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Agreed. They should disable the DVR playback as well. ;)

Honestly I can see either side as being fine, and the middle inconsistent option as being fine too. I'm sorry you or the CSR was confused during the call. Your original statement:

sounds accurate so I'm not sure who to blame. (ie the EHD is not really on the DVR.)

I guess you could clean out the DVR, then unpause, transfer, pause again, if it really matters that much?

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe there is a limit as to how often one can pause the account. Once per 12 months for a maximum of six months? (Unless it is a second account used for a vacation home.)

If the account is unpaused I believe it could not be paused again until the 12 months were up.

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I have seven EHD's full of stuff - lots of stuff - and I know that the whole system might not be available some year in the future. I also know that if I stop my Dish service that stuff is basically gone.

Not that I wouldn't complain loudly, but I know those recordings have a limited life only somewhat under my control. It's a handy feature nonetheless.