1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Price Increase Is Here (Not really, just bundled LiL with existing packages)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Dave, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1 of 34
    Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    It would appear that Dish has done a mid year price increase for there packages. Looks to be about 3% or $ 5 per package. Right now it is only being charged to new customers for this month. We will have to wait and see on our September bills to see if the regular customers bills go up. Check your current bill and then check Dish's website to see these changes in cost.

2. Aug 1, 2009 #2 of 34
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    But the packages now include local channels.
    They didn't before, did they?
    It looks like they just bundled the locals in and added the $5 locals charge into the package price.

3. Aug 1, 2009 #3 of 34
    Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Some don't want the locals. So will they deduct that cost, or are you stuck with it?

4. Aug 1, 2009 #4 of 34
    puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    DING DING DING!! we have a winner. On a side note, you can still subscribe without the locals, just changed the way the prices were listed to default to include locals.

5. Aug 1, 2009 #5 of 34
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    More of this is being discussed here.

6. Aug 1, 2009 #6 of 34
    ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    I wonder what percentage of subscribers don't want locals? I'd guess exceedingly low. It makes it look better when locals are "included" like they are with DirectTV, and not an "Extra Charge" like they keep bashing Dish for.

7. Aug 1, 2009 #7 of 34
    Ohioankev

Ohioankev Legend

Jan 19, 2006
    Better yet, how about the customers who don't have locals available and have to go through all american direct for distant networks. That means they would be paying the new price w/o locals + DNS fees. However, the new customers won't know this when they sign up for service. But arent' the DVR fees included in the new packages too ?

8. Aug 1, 2009 #8 of 34
    puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    If they don't sub to locals, then their price is $5.00 lower, just like always. The only thing that has changed is that on the website the price prominently listed is the price including locals.

9. Aug 1, 2009 #9 of 34
    BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Just good marketing. I learned early in my career that customers hate add-on pricing. Give them the high number first and then quickly point out they can pay less if they drop optional features.

10. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Absolutely, as someone who sells Dish you wouldn't believe how many times a day I had to explain why you had to "pay extra" to get locals. And it doesn't matter how many times you explain that you pay for your locals w/ Direct and cable it's just they have the price already bundled in instead of breaking it out on its own they still think somehow they're being charged "extra" for something they get "free" "everywhere else". So you better believe i'm glad they list their prices including locals now and yes if you don't want locals through your dish you can still drop them and save $5, but believe me it'll be a lot less tedious explaining that to what i'd guess would be around 5% of the customers who don't want locals than explaining to 95% of them why they are not really paying extra!

11. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    I don't get locals! only 10 miles from all local HD transmitters and they are in the same place. I just have a small antenna in my attic. Dish doesen't have our locals in HD yet so why should I pay $5 extra plus my VIP 722 allows the antenna hook up so I get another tuner to record from.

12. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    So don't, you will get a $5 discount.

13. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    I don't pay the $5. I was only responding that maybe a lot of people don't need to get and pay for them if they are close to antennas.

14. Stalky14

Stalky14 Legend

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm planning to get Dish again in the next week after a 3 year absence. I looked at the prices last week and then again today and was like WTF?! A $5 price increase?! It's good to know that it's just locals bundling. I was having second thoughts. I get a throbbing OTA signal and do not need their locals.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    In order to get program guide info for ATSC locals does Dish still require that you subscribe to the locals or do you get that now without the locals?

16. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    You do have to subscribe to locals through Dish to get the guide data for your locals.

17. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    One nice thing about getting the Dish Locals even with Great OTA, it gives you another tuner to record or watch(wth a 622 or 722). Football season is around the corner, the fall launch of new shows, sometimes having that 3rd tuner is very useful. Not to mention, just the guide info.

18. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Like Grumpy said, I'm very close and pickup HD OTA locals easily, but it's still VERY nice to also have them available from satellite. I go from being able to record one local channel at once to THREE. Big advantage, and well worth $5 even though I receive OTA perfectly.

This really comes into play during football season, or during prime network seasons, where there is almost always more than one prime-time network show on I want to be recording.

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You actually find ANYTHING on network TV worth recording? I can't even find anything worth watching at all.

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    We all have different tastes in what we like to watch. Right now, network TV is not the best place most of the time, but come the fall... Yeah, I know, some of the new shows will suck, but some will be very good.

For now, you can watch America's Got Talent and laugh at the twit judges and MC, laugh at some of the really bad acts, and thoroughly enjoy the really great talent on display... :)