DISH PVR or DirecTivo

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by van_gogh, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. van_gogh

van_gogh Mentor

Apr 8, 2004
    I only have experience with DISH PVR, but TiVo's looking pretty appealing right now. Which do you prefer, DISH PVR or DirecTivo, and why?

2. Inaba

Inaba Legend

Jun 20, 2003
    Hah, is this a joke?

Seriously... from a purely functional standpoint, there is no comparison at all. DirecTIVO is a decade ahead of any Dish PVR.

Name based recording
    Stable system
    Intuitive timer setup
    Intuitive user interface
    Decent remote
    Upgradable HD
    Can be hacked to include features not available commercially (and void warranty, of course)

etc... and I can go on.

These all features of DirecTIVO. These are all anti-features of DishPVR. A Dish PVR is everything a Tivo isn't. (Clumsy, unstable, bugridden, counter-intuitive, etc...)

Everything else being equal, go with the DirecTIVO

3. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Don't forget TWO tuners standard.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Van gogh I am a DISH/ Directv dealer I have two TiVos in my home along with 3 basic Directv receivers. Directv and TiVo are so far ahead of DISH it is unbelievable if Pegasus territories didn't exist I would probably drop DISH. Directv products work out of the box, they may need some updating over their useful life but they don't need monthly repairs to try and get them to perform their advertised functions.

5. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    My 501 doesn't need monthly repairs to perform it's advertised functions. I record several shows. They all record just fine. Pausing, rewinding, live TV, works great. I can actually dictate when I will watch shows and I can dictate whether or not I will watch advertisements! This is the real power. The TiVo is much better in regards to season pass and such but I think sometimes people are drinking some "TiVo Kool Aid" or however you say it.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    No comparison like Inaba said. I owned two 508s and for one for 18 months and the other for about a year, they don't even compare to the DirecTiVo. My 508s were fairly stable at one point, but gradually became more and more unstable with random reboots, remote freezes and loss of video. After using the TiVo for 2 months, I could never go back to an Echostar DVR that has to be baby sat to make sure it behaves it's self. A few lacking features of the DirecTV DVR that Dish's have is caller ID, the 721 can do picture in picture DTiVos cannot and the buffer is 30 minutes. Name based recordings is one of the biggest advantages the DirecTiVo has when it comes to features over the VCR like functions of Dish Networks recorders.

7. van_gogh

van_gogh Mentor

Apr 8, 2004
    My experience is similar. My 501 does exactly what's intended- no more, no less. I'd also heard some controversy regarding TiVo and the Super Bowl (apparently TiVo knows what you're recording and reports back to the home office). TiVo made the mistake of reporting the number of users that rewound and recorded the halftime show. I don't care if everyone knows 20 of my 30 hours of space are devoted to the kids' complete collection of Lilo & Stitch, but it also has me leery of the"TiVo Kool Aid". However, dual tuners look like a pretty good upgrade.

What about the remotes? My Dish Network PLATINUM universal remote is ergonomically designed and has 43 neat buttons! :eek2: I haven't seen a decent picture of the DirecTivo one, but it looks sparse in comparison and has silly Siskel & Ebert thumbs. :grin: Seriously, is it a universal remote, or do I go back to four separate remotes?

What else should I know comparing the two systems?

8. SouthernSky

SouthernSky Legend

Jul 15, 2003
    We've gone through 3 hard drives on our store demo unit, one on a 508 and two on the 510, each within 90 days of receipt of the units. Then we had to help several customer get hard drives changed within the warranty period. No more DISH PVR's for us. I can't sell a product I don't believe in.

We gave up. No more DISH for us except service calls for customers we sold. Soon we'll get away from DISH completely.

9. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    IMHO
    My 721 has 90 hours (out the box NOT hacked) recording time, 2 tuners and has worked to my statisfaction and NO MONTHLY tivo fee.
    But hey NO one can diswade a tivo user from bashing other products.
    Which is fine, but most of the ones bragging about D*tivo have "hacked"
    theirs to get extra time which is fine also,
    just be aware that many have modified their D*tivos.

10. van_gogh

van_gogh Mentor

Apr 8, 2004
    I've read about changing the "skip" setting from 'default=jump to end of the recording' to 'jump ahead 30 seconds' by entering some key combinations on the remote. Would you consider this changing of the settings to commercial-skip mode a "hack", or is that just changing from one set of factory default settings to another valid user preference?

11. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    I use the word "hack" simply to say that the modification is not "approved" by the service that one subscribes to. I do NOT condemn it, (unless someone is stealing programing I "feel" that improving one's equipment should be one's choice), (however the provider might). I was merely pointing out that "some"(only some) of the features that tivo users "brag" about are not functionable "out of the box". And that if someone is either unwilling or unable to preform modifications, that "that someone" may not be aware of this.

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    DirecTiVos also come with 120GB hard drives from the factory under the Hughes and Samsung brand names ($350 MSRP) and Philips offers an 80GB model ($250 MSRP). Or for $99 buy a 35 hour model, and a larger hard drive and upgrade the box. Both of my SD-DVR40s are unhacked at the moment.

The DirecTiVo remote is shaped like a giant peanut, and can only control your TiVo and TV. But if you have a home theater system you can program the volume and mute buttons to control the HT receiver instead of the TV set. With the Platinum and blue button remotes, the volume controls could only control the tv speakers, which did me no good since I haven't used the TV speakers in close to 2 years now. So now for normal TV viewing only need one remote. All codes are provided in an on screen menu, just find the select the manufacture in the menu and it will give you the codes. No looking through manuals at tiny print searching for the right code. I don’t like the placement of the TV power button though, but have learned to live with it. The thumbs buttons are used to rate shows if you wish to use TiVo Suggestions. I don't participate in Suggestions, I view the list every so often and have discovered a few new shows thanks to it. Here's a picture of the remote from Best Buy's web site. The one on the left is the DirecTiVo remote, for comparison I also included a standalone TiVo remote (right), which is nearly identical

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW- I wouldn’t call the SPS30S 30 sec skip code a hack, it’s more of an Easter Egg like the other codes. :)

13. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    I've had Dish with DHP 508 and 301 for about 15 months. I now have Directv with Tivo and Tivo is far more powerful then the 508. My 508 was semi-stable but has crashed on occasion.
    It is a bit easier to use but no where near as powerful, it's a pretty dumb digital recorder :)

When I downgraded my programming to DHP $5 rental + superstations $5.99 plus 2 fox stations that I had waiver for $1.50 each. The rep didn't ask me to return my boxes. They charged my debit card $399 for not returning them! So warning, it's not easy to get off of DHP, DHP requires AT50/60 or greater even after your one year lease. I now have to return my receivers to get my money back. Fun Fun.

I'm pleased with TC+ w/locals $10 off first 6 months (3 months free showtime and 6 months $10 off of starz). More useful channels then Dish AT180 that I was on (Trio, Oxygen, PBS Kids, etc) and cheaper to boot, my first bill was under $38, regular bill will be $48 for TC+w/locals, much cheaper then the $60+ I was paying to Dish for DHP Top 180 w/locals.

Jim

14. Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    There are instructions in the Dish manuals on how to make the volume buttons control a HT receiver instead of the TV volume. Works fine for me (Kenwood HTB)

15. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003
    With the Platinum and blue button remotes, the volume controls could only control the tv speakers

----

Not true, you can set up the platinum remotes to control the volume on your receiver. It's in the manual, it just changes the default volume to receiver rather than tv.

I agree the Tivo might be better for most, but Dish DVRs also offer lots of features that Tivos don't. To name a few:

Better/faster guide
    PIP in guide
    Caller ID
    PIP
    Browse Banner
    UHF remote

And whoever said the Tivo remote is better? You're kidding right?

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I must have missed that in the manual. Either way doesn't matter, I don't use it any more and never want to use it again. And I looked through this thread twice now and I haven't seen anyone say they like the TiVo remote better, and if some one does what difference does it make. Only thing I missed from Dish is the UHF remote, for conrtol the receiver through a thick blanket. But that's hardly a price to pay IMO, to not have to deal with Echostar and their receivers.

17. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Van_gogh if you haven't noticed the TiVo proponents are almost all previous DISH subscribers, that alone should tell you something. I haven't seen a post of a TiVo user that switched to DISH and said it was a better DVR. Will DISH buy back your DVR if you aren't happy with it. Under "Truth or Dare" Directv will buy back your TiVo and give you a basic receiver in its place.

18. Jerry 42

Jerry 42 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 25, 2003
    This is only my opinion.
    I have two SA TiVos each with their own 301 boxes and 2 811 boxes. My wife and I love the TiVos and their features. We have been with Dish for over 8 years and have been generally happy with Charlie & Co.
    I would like to get a HD PVR BUT based on the current 921 problems and the problems with older Dish PVRs I really can not see getting any Dish PVR at this time.
    As I am grandfathered for distant stations - currently to the end of 2004 - I am staying with Dish until I lose the distants. At that time I will need to:
    a) stay with Dish if they - really - have a reliable PVR and more HD channels
    b) get a non Dish HD PVR, if available, that works with Dish
    c) go to Directv with HD TiVos if they add more HD channels
    d) hate to say this but maybe go to cable that has more HD and a good HD PVR.
    So for me and perhaps others, who are concerned about investing in Dish HD PVRs and lack of new HD channels, it may just pay to see what happens with HD PVRs and HD channels in general between now and the end of the year.
    BTW the fact that TiVo seems more and more linked to D* is not a good thing either.
    Again this is just my opinion

19. Inaba

Inaba Legend

Jun 20, 2003
    Just for the record, I want to point out that I'm currently a Dish customer, and I own a 721. I have since last June, and will be until this June. At which point unless there is name based recording on my 721, I will move to DirecTIVO.

I hate to support Hughes. I despise them with every fiber of my beign, but the sad fact of the matter is, I'm tired of coming home every night and wondering if my shows are still on the hard drive, or if they recorded at all.

This last Daylight Saving Time fiasco was just the final nail in the coffin. All my timers read the correct time, but they don't record on the correct time (They record an hour early, even though they say they'll record on the correct time) - and manually deleting and recreating every time I have is ludicrous. If it had name based recording, it wouldn't even be an issue... but because Dish is stupid, they keep timer based recording, thus forcing me to waste over an hour recreating my timers to correct for their crappy code.

I'm so done with Dish PVRs when my contract is up.

20. mrdectown

mrdectown Legend

Apr 10, 2004
    well i have a 522. Its my second one. The first one was fine, but then all of a sudden half the box stop working. its just up and stopped. so i could watch recorded shows on one and live on the other. so they sent me a new one. i am soppose send the other box back but i have the whole season of chappelle show and wrestlemania. so so depressing. and it just me or does dish pvr take up more time then advertised? lets say i have 100 hours i record something thats 2 hours long next thing you know i have 93 hours? i dont get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.