1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Pvr's still slow at changing channels?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Simtare, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simtare

Simtare Cool Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Hi all, Long ago I had a 501 from dish. I sold it because I channel surf constantly and the 501 was very slow to change channels, compared to my 4900. I guess it was the buffer filling each time I switched.
    I now have an 811 and want a pvr whenever the mpg 4 gear comes out. My question is do dish pvrs still take a long time to lock onto channels when you switch them?

2. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Compared to what? I know my 942 is much quicker than the Motorola HD box from Comcast.

3. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    I've found I can use the browse button and can get to channels quick and easy! The show information is transparent and overlays just the top and bottom portions of the screen. You can move up or down channels and/or forward in time. Very quick. Really changed my surfing habits.

Usually though I'm watching recorded event. Works then too though. BTW, mine is the 625.

4. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    The PVR's are all slower than the non-PVR's because of the buffering (among other things). The least pause will come from NON-pvr devices.

5. navychop

navychop Legend

Jul 13, 2005
    Use the Guide button.

6. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    If you thought it was bad to channel surf now, wait till mpeg4 comes out.

7. DISHDADDY

DISHDADDY New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    if it is changeing slow try to do a soft reset. that usually solves the problem.

8. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Why would you think that channel changing would be effected by moving to MPEG4?

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    More overhead in the decoding.

JL

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Really?? Hmmm. I will have to think about that one. I would expect that the MPEG4 throughput would have to be the same as MPEG2 to have the ability to watch live MPEG4 so I would expect the higher overhead of MPEG to be handled by MPEG4 encoder and would provide the same throughput. Guess the question is... Is the processes switching between two MPEG4 channels significantly slower because of the extra overhead or is the extra overhead compensated by the difference in hardware between a MPEG2 box and an MPEG4 box?

Guess time will tell. Was curious of Big Bob as some personal experience with channel switching on a MPEG4 box. Hmm wonder how the D* MPEG4 boxes on switching on MPEG4 streams feel. Even given that, I would expect switching speed to improve as they performance tune the new platforms.

Just my thoughts.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just mine too. Changing channels is a lot of work. Blank screen, send switch command for proper satellite/polarity, change tuning, lock in on signal, find which streams within signal are needed for audio/video, send audio to the decoder and video to its decoder. As soon as one has audio allow it to pass. As soon as one has video allow it to pass.

Video is comprised of key frames and changes frames. The decoder pretty much has to wait for a key frame before displaying an image. Compression can be helped by lowering the number of key frames (on slow changing video) but that does add to the time it takes to sync to the channel.

I'm not sure how MPEG4 is set up - how often key frames are sent and how long it takes the video to lock in - but every time I think of increasing compression I think of a system that takes longer to get on track when pointed at a new video feed.

Perhaps MPEG4 might take a second to get in sync and MPEG2 only .8 seconds. That's up to those with fast stopwatches to figure out. Once we see MPEG4 streams we can find out first hand and stop "just thinking" ... it really isn't THAT long of a pause between channels anyways. After having Dish for a few years I have almost forgotten what changing analog cable channels looks like. :D

I notice a pause on my ATSC tuner as well changing between OTA feeds. It's a computer. It isn't going to be instant.

JL

12. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for the explanation James. I had no idea that so much was going on when the channels changed. I soon found that cruising with the browse button was much more satisfying response-time wise.

13. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    It is funny for a number of us how we interact with electronic devices changes with each device to minimize agrevation and maximums throughput. It used to be that people would browse what was one by quickly changing channels. Now a large percentage of people do it using the EPG. That is how I do it.

As for key frames. you get a number of key frames a second. I would expect at least 4, but I could be wrong. I don't think key frames should be much of an issue here but I could be wrong.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is always a little extra overhead on the PVRs since writing to the disk is involved before displaying the content. In that 'used to be' memory was that on E*? On analog cable and analog OTA changes are pretty quick, but there is a lot less going on.

JL

15. navychop

navychop Legend

Jul 13, 2005
    Since it's a continuous non-compressed signal, you can start displaying an analog signal at any instant. There are no key frames to wait for. I remember moving to satellite from analog cable and being surprised at the slow channel change. There was even more of a channel changing delay when I moved to ATSC OTA. So for DISH I use the guide button- the EPG. This is much better, because I get a synopsis displayed with each channel. Much better than the old channel surfing. Since I watch so little OTA, the lack of guide/PSIP data doesn't matter much. I go online and plan my OTA from online guides and set recorders or watch live. I only watch ER & DH live, and not all the time even for them.

16. Rob O

Rob O Cool Member

Dec 19, 2005
    It's funny reading this discussion. Remember the days when channel surfing meant standing in front of the tube and turning the dial, or gasp, reading the TV guide to plan out that evening's viewing? Boy do I love technology!:grin:

17. navychop

navychop Legend

Jul 13, 2005
    Don't forget, after turning the dial you often had to move the antenna!

18. liferules

liferules Godfather

Aug 14, 2005
    Yeah, I remember, my father had one of those electric contraptions that would rotate the roof antenna when your dialed it with a box placed on top of the TV (which was a whopping 14"...

Those were the good old days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.