1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Question - What should i do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Old_School, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1 of 49
    Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    When we moved into our apartment (row home made into 2 units) in 2010 the only way our landlord would allow me to have Directv was to install a dish myself per his approval of the plans..

So i bought my own dish from Solid Signal long with fresh RG6 and a plastic box to house the SWM8. So i installed the dish, ran the wires... only thing the installer needed to do was connect the boxes in the rooms, Peak the dish and activate. install day came, installer arrived and was happier than a feline in a cat nip farm did his thing and was out in about 30 mins or so....

Fast forward to last weekend......

Come home and had to take a bag of trash out to the can outside... when i get there i find that my box containing my SWM8 has the lock wacked off (Again):mad: went to check it out and come to find a brand new SWM-16 installed:confused:

Come to find that i have new neighbors below me and while i was gone a tech came and installed directv for them and took it apon himself to connect them to my dish. Keep in mind that my box is located on the 2nd floor on my porch.... anyways i currently have 5 tuners hooked up to my system. with the neighbors tied into it, they have 11 tuners the Swm-16 is maxed. I have found me a nice deal on a HR34 that i was planning to add once our living room re model was complete. First call into directv basically was "pound sand" there is nothing we can do:eek2:

So that leaves me with a few questions?

What can i do? i assume i fell victim to a practice of a lazy installer but, are they not suppost to install a dish, or at least ask before using a dish that clearly is being used?

Am i gonna get stuck paying for an installer to come out when i do activate the HR34?

Would i be wrong to take my dykes out and snip there lines or randomly unplug my PI?

thanks in advace

2. Mar 6, 2013 #2 of 49
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If everything is "in your area", this shouldn't have been done.
    I'd start with a talk to the neighbor and explain this install is using your dish and how it shouldn't have been done this way.
    I hope you grabbed your old SWM8.
    If the neighbor isn't too receptive, well if the SWiM-16 is on my porch, I'd remove the coax running anywhere but to my receivers.

3. Mar 6, 2013 #3 of 49
    Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Are you sure that the landlord, not thinking straight... or at all, didn't suggest to the downstairs tenants and/or the installer, to connect to the "existing" dish?
    Unless he put it in writing, and you signed up to allowing this, as a condition of permitting you to install (don't believe this actually happened, but just covering the bases), then no-one should have done this... and you certainly do not have to agree to this retro-actively.
    At the minimum, the installer should have questioned why he had to break into the SWM8 box.
    I'm sort of giving the tenants and/or installer the benefit of the doubt, because I can't believe anyone could be so presumptuous... or stupid...
    Was there a reason you didn't get a SWM LNB dish?
    It would have been cleaner, and there would have been only a single coax off the dish, which might have discouraged someone else from piggy-backing?
    Were you going to exceed 8 tuners, and if so, why didn't you get a SWM16?

Doesn't sound as though your SWM8 was left behind... if not, the SWM16 is now yours, as far as I can see.
    I would disconnect, NOT cut, the coaxes, and let them drop to the unit below.

4. Mar 6, 2013 #4 of 49
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yeah, disconnect all cables but yours. Wait for call and explain your position.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #5 of 49
    Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    VOS,

That's what irritates me the most, the SWM8 was taken with the tech! I have tried a "welcome" greet with the newbies but they seemed annoyed that i tried so i am gonna assume that there not gonna be happy when i tell them that there on my dish.

Micheal,

I chose the SWM8 because it was free... i also knew that i was at some point going to need a SWM16 in the future so i figured why not set it up so when i was at that point all i needed to do was swap the SWM's....

In January 2012 when we renewed our lease it was printed in bold letters " Effective 01-01-12 satellite dishes are not allowed to be installed on or too the property for any reason, Tenants with them installed prior to 01-01-12 will be allowed to keep the current setup but, no new installations are allowed." also, it was still there when we signed this past January.

A call to the Landlord this afternoon revealed that not only was it in the lease but, he told them personally no when they came to pay up the SD/rent. He was livid to find out they did it anyways... He said that its up to me if i want to allow it to be setup this way but, hes not signing anything for directv to allow them to install a second dish.

Just for anyone with the curious mind, our landlord has 6? rental properties within town. He takes great pride it keeping his properties looking good and in good shape. His point of being so negative about satellite installs is because all the properties except the one i live in where hacked up in some way by a install.. he's had dishes installed into brand new rubber roofs, holes drilled though brick exteriors when there was a hole already a foot away from the previous install, interior walls busted out (and poorly patched) ect. he just had enough and said no, and i cant blame him.. and i know he may or may not be allowed to just say no to them with OTARD but, that's his battle not mine...

So tomorrow i think what i am gonna do is replace my lock with a bigger one and before i lock it there are gonna be a few cables that come out of it... I'll keep an eye out for a while and blue van to pull up and when it does, If i see anyone at my box i will kindly inform them that its mine and its not gonna happen to share it... i will also provide the landlords # for the tech to get permission to install a second dish then let the tech, the landlord and my new PO'ed neighbors hash it out....

6. Mar 7, 2013 #6 of 49
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Seems like" you just got a SWiM-16 upgrade "for free". :lol:
    I wouldn't cut the coax, but I'd sure removed them and terminate any open ports on the splitters or remove one output of the -16 until "I needed it".

If your neighbor doesn't want to be "neighborly", then why should you?

7. Mar 7, 2013 #7 of 49
    cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    interesting thread, please keep us updated and informed on this situation

8. Mar 7, 2013 #8 of 49
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey agreed;

Since the owner is adamant about no further dish installs, I was about to suggest in the spirit of neighborliness, the TS work with his new neighbors and the technician to share the dish possibly with a parallel multiswitch arrangement such as here for instance (to prevent DIRECTV unsupportied splitting and problems with which side has the PI. Though it may take a little extra doing getting the port expander and maybe a larger box to mount the two SWiM switches with inputs facing one another).

http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/SWiM16-SWM8-3.png

But since I see the new neighbors are going to be the nasty type, forget it.

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 49
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I agree with those saying that you have the right to disconnect your neighbor. But I think a solution like HoTat2's might be worth pursuing first.

If I were you I'd type up a little note to my neighbor, telling him that Directv cut off my lock, removed equipment purchased and owned by me and replaced it with something else, and now you (my neighbor) are running off the dish purchased and owned by me. Give him the benefit of the doubt and tell him you're sure he had no idea what this installer was doing, but that he is using 2/3 of the capacity and the way things are now you can't make your planned purchase of a Genie so the current situation can't continue. Tell him you'd be within your rights to disconnect him, and the landlord will support you if you do.

Offer him a compromise. If the neighbor has 11 tuners he must have at least 2 coaxes running from your balcony to his, so what's two more (the landlord might not be thrilled, but that's between him and the neighbor) Power passing splitters would let you split your dish feed to him, and he can get his own SWM-16. Just mark the coaxes so they get plugged into his SWM-16 in the same inputs as yours. Your neighbor would have his own SWM-16 in his own little lockbox on his own deck. Problem solved.

Slip the note under the door in the morning on your way to work, if they catch you you can say you're late for work just read the note and we'll talk later. If the neighbor wants to be a jerk, cut him off and don't feel bad. If he wants to cooperate, then you won't have a neighbor who hates you living downstairs plotting revenge.

Whether the neighbor pays for this equipment or Directv does, it doesn't matter to you. If he has 11 tuners he's obviously got a significantly investment in Directv, so he's probably not going to grumble too much if he ends up having to pay for this. I bought a pair of "buy it now" SWM-16s off Ebay recently for $60/ea w/free shipping, which included the PI and two 8 port splitters, so the whole thing would cost less than $100 in parts if Directv won't pay for it for him.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just set it up so you can both share the common bits and use band stop filters if you plan on using whole home. There is no reason that it couldnt be setup that way and the landlord should stay behind that solution as well. Take the high ground and be the bigger man

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'd be a tad cautious about the neighbors, the installer may have been the bad guy 100% (and even not, you and the neighbors can pretend he was in the interests of neighborliness)

I've had nasty neighbors before, and a little extra effort in avoiding a Hatfield and McCoy situation would be prudent.

(If the neighbors are watching TV all the time, they aren't going to be bothering anybody, a win-win outcome, LOL)

The feed from the dish can be split to feed the OPs 8 way, and the neighbors 16 way simultaneously with no cross pollination, so to speak, I've seen a commercial install configured that way, so all the parts exist and could be acquired for this).

DirecTV should be willing to make EVERYBODY happy, any 'go pound sand' attitude on their part would be EXTREMELY foolish.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I tend to agree with the option of notifying your neighbors what happened and advising them you cannot support the current configuration and will disconnect it no later than ... (enter date).

You might also explain to them what some of the options are, but make it clear it is their entire responsibility and cost to pursue or implement them.

One question, how is it you found out how many tuners they have and that the SWM16 is maxed? Also, how could the installer have possibly known that and hooked them up with 11 tuners if you were not there? I would think the most the installer could have done (presumptuously) would be to connect your neighbor with one leg of the SWM16 for 8 tuners.

13. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    To the op, I was in the same situation. I simply removed the lines and waited. Do it now! so they generate an NC rollback. That way you have a greater chance of catching the original tech or they can get him out there.

14. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Ok, you planned on more than 8 tuners and the SWM8 was free.
    Makes sense... understand.

My home install is a SWM-E2 Expander, a pair of SWM8's.
    Originally used just the 4 coax outputs from the dish, added a SWM8 later on, and eventually the E2 and the second SWM8 later'er on.

Did it this way originally because the SWM16 (or SWM32) didn't exist then.
    Kept it, because it works fine, and I diplex OTA on both SWM8's at the E2, which you can't do with a SWM16 (can with a SWM32), so each DVR/AM21 has a single coax feed for dual tuner DTV and dual tuner OTA, all off of a single attic antenna. (WiFi range extenders on each DVR for networking/internet rather than coax DECA).
    Now that you've got a SWM16, this is just background info.

On that subject, if the installer disagrees that the SWM16 is yours, you might mention that if he didn't intend to swap owned property, then he's guilty of breaking and entering/theft, and that you are filing a police report.
    That should thrill his employer... who should be aware of what kind of crap their employee is up to anyways.

The neighbors have given you no reason to try to accommodate them.
    Personally, I would not.
    Your neighbors are a-holes.
    It sounds like the routing of the cables from your dish to the other unit is in violation of the landlord's covenants... that even if the other tenants were your friends, and you had WANTED to do this, you would be violating the terms of your lease... so why would you even consider assuming this responsibility for these jerks.

There are a lot of non-penetrable mounts, tripods, cinder blocks, etc.
    A lesser-known mount, which I have used (picked up a couple on craigslist for $40) are the Steren satellite mounts. Not good for anything other than mounting to rectangular cross-sections, such as railing or lumber... but for those applications, there is nothing better from my experience. Thing is a beast... you could hang an engine block from it.

The neighbors could present this to the landlord as an option (for THEIR own dish), but beyond recommending this, you should stay out of it, and insist everyone stay out of yours...

Good luck.

15. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Well, all ended well for both....

My neighbors woke up with morning with a (771) on there screen at some point and i am sure called D right away. About 930a a D truck pulled up and a tech got out and started looking around.. while he was looking around another guy in a suit and tie came along and greeted him.. I then went out and politely greeted them myself and found that the man in the suit and tie was some sorta big shot that is in charge of all the install techs and the tech was a senior guy...

Talking with the bigwig he told me that he decided to come out and see what the heck was going on because this was the 7th rollback this week that the first tech had.:eek2: I explained to him how everything went down, that i was planning to upgrade, i purchased my own dish and a SWM 8 (and the SWM was taken), the landlord issues or wishes... i also decided to be the bigger person and tell them that i don't mind sharing a dish IF it is setup correctly with 2 SWM's... My only issue was that i am now out the cost of a SWM 8 and a dish that i planned on taking with me shall i move..

The guy told me that he was sorry that this happened 20 times over and said that he would do what he could to make everything right.. After i made a call to the landlord we all came to a agreement that the best solution was 2 SWM 16's (one for each unit) and be done with it.. so that's what they did. After everything was said and done the bigwig came and told me that he didn't forget about the rest and would be back in touch with me later this afternoon and gave me his card...

About 330 this afternoon there was a knock at my door and it was the guy from earlier.. With him he had a new Slimline dish, LNB, and a SWM 16:D .. He told me that this should cover me for the dish and the SWM 8 i lost . i never expected it but i am a happy camper again...

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like it turned out "almost" the best for all.

I see there might be one hitch.

How are the 2 SWiM-16s being connected to the dish?

If there are four green labeled 2-way splitters, "then" should the SWiM-16 on the only power passing port ever get powered down, the other SWiM-16 is blocked from powering the LNB, so this SWiM will have 771 errors.

If your SWiM-16 is on the powering side, "you'll be fine".

Four of these is how both or either SWiM will power the dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...atellite-signals-(sky23302d)&sku=610370581735

17. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    It is 4 wires from the dish split into 8 but honestly didnt look to see what splitters they are... i am gonna assume if they are green label splitters than i am on the power side but if they indeed turn out to be green label then ill just buy 4 of the ones linked and switch them out...

18. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    O.S.
    Glad things worked out to your satisfaction. Especially glad to hear that the "suit" is a stand-up guy. Almost makes up for the idiot working for him. 7 ROLLBACKS in a week! He shouldn't have a single one the remaining 51
    weeks in the year to be just average, if he still has a job. If he does, it's got to be because he's the "suit's" sister's kid...

V.O.S.
    I also wondered how that was going to work.
    How are you assuming the SWM16's are hooked up to the dish?
    Is each SWM16 fed by 2 of the splitters, with both outputs of each , 4 coax total, connected to each respective SWM?
    Or, is each SWM16 fed by all 4 splitters, with one output of each, 4 coax total, connected to each SWM?
    If the splitters are "all ports passing", I don't think it makes a difference.

O.S.
    How DID the tech hook up the SWM's?

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Most likely" it was done with 4 green labeled 2-way splitters, where each voltage/tone goes to the same input on each SWiM.
    The green splitters are only power passing on one port.
    "All power passing" is the way to go, and the skywalkers are this, with some diodes just to keep things working right.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    While certainly a workable solution, particularly when used with good and proper splitters for the job like the Skywalker ones, I thought that nevertheless DIRECTV does not support "this type" of splitting to parallel two SWiM multiswitches nowadays?

They'll only accept the E2 port expander solution for such custom install needs like here;
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-DIRECTV-SWM-EXPAND-(SWM-E2)&sku=609465599052

But then again perhaps they are an HSP company doing this without following DIRECTV's strict guidelines for techs hired directly by them.