Dish Relocation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dminches, May 22, 2019.

1. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    DirecTV is coming out today to move my dish to the other side of my roof to help alleviate an issue with some trees blocking 99(ca).

They said they would be installing a new dish. What should I expect them to install? Is this an SL3? I currently have a 4k setup which sends the signals to a splitting (no switch). I just want to make sure they don't suggest doing something stupid.

For the record, they have been very responsive to my original request for service which was placed on Monday morning. They had someone out here that day who determined that moving the dish was the best option. I realize I may have to cut some tree tops at some point.

Attached is a picture showing the issue.

[​IMG]

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I doubt that they will actually move the existing dish. Several years ago they came to my house and installed a new one. They said they could not remove the old one because it could make the roof leak and they could not be responsible for that.
    How many plastic housings are on the end of the arm on the dish ? If it is just 1 then you have a SL3, if it is 3 then you have an SL5.

What you can do is to remove the bolts close to the roof so you can remove the hardware ( all except the pads for the dish and the supports ). Leave those screwed to the roof and it should not leak then.
    The dish is yours to do with whatever you want to do with it.

3. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    They told me exactly what you said. It will be a new dish and they won’t remove the old mount due to potential roof issues.

4. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Thats basically what I was told late last year, i.e they would install a new antenna, cables, splitters, etc where they can reach. But then the tech couldn't find a location that would be adequate for both 99 and 103, so they didn't do anything.

I currently have a SWIM18 and the legacy non SWM SL3 LNB, there are four cables, so I was thinking about setting up another antenna optimum to 99 and running a couple cables from it to the SWM16 99/101 port, and moving the existing antenna to a spot better for 103 and running a couple cables to the SMW16 103/110/119 port. I've been reading thats probably not going to make that much difference for the trouble, however. I haven't checked the transponder map to see which bird(s) serves up we watch anything that spread across the three birds. The lowest signal number I've been seeing is 80. Don't want 4K for the foreseeable future.... but I digress...

5. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    The local installer did a great job installing a new dish in a new location on my roof. He showed up on time, actually worked through a bit of rain, and discussed every step with me so I was ok with his approach. Once the dish was installed he checked the genie and minis to make sure everything was working properly.

This whole process, starting with my call 10 days ago, was as smooth as butter.

paranoia, bmetelsky and studechip like this.