Dish 's response to me e-mail

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by projectorguru, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    this actually funny, I want to here what you guys think. I sent this yeaterday, heres the reply.

Dear Customer,
    Thank you for your e-mail. Effective immediately the VOOM HD line-up can no longer be viewed by our customers. DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. In order to provide you with top quality entertainment, DISH Network continually evaluates and at times, makes changes to our channel line-up. We plan to use this opportunity to introduce exciting new HD channels offering a breadth and depth of programming that better complements our already robust HD offerings.
    DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!
    VOOM Channel
    Alternative Programming
    Channel #
    Monsters HD
    Chiller (Only available in SD)
    Rave HD
    MHD
    Rush HD
    Universal HD, HD Net
    9427, 9422
    Specific HD Movies
    HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD
    9423, 9427

Also check out the following exciting new channels that will be available in the DISH HD Package!
    · ABC Family HD (DISH Network Ch. 180)
    · Biography HD (Ch. 119)
    · Bravo HD (Ch. 129)
    · Cartoon HD (Ch. 176)
    · Cinemax 5 Star (Ch. 381)
    · Cinemax HD West (Ch. 380)
    · Comcast Sports Network Bay Area HD (Ch. 419)*
    · Comcast Sports Network New England HD (Ch. 435)*
    · CNBC HD (Ch. 208)
    · CNN HD (Ch. 200)
    · Disney HD East (Ch. 172)
    · ESPNews HD (Ch. 142)
    · Hallmark Movie Channel HD (Ch. 187)
    · MGM HD (Ch. 385)
    · Sci Fi HD (Ch. 122)
    · Smithsonian HD (Ch. 374)
    · Tennis Channel HD (Ch. 400)
    · Toon Disney HD (Ch. 174)
    · Travel Channel HD (Ch. 215)
    · USA HD (Ch. 105)
    · Weather Channel HD (Ch. 214)
    · World Fishing Network HD (Ch. 396)

*Launch Wednesday, May 14

Watch for even more high definition channels over the upcoming weeks as DISH Network grows to over 100 national HD channels by end of year. For additional information please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.dishnetwork.com/HDupdate"www.DishNetwork.com/HDupdate. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

DISH Network E-Care

Your message:

Full Name: @#^%@#$^@%#(&%
    Account Number: 8255-

Question: WHY DID YOU GUYS DUMP VOOM CHANNELS? I have been with Dish for years now, and this is the only reason I stayed with Dish because of Voom.
    I will wait a few weeks to see if they come back, if not, off to Direct tv

2. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I got the same email response. Dropping Voom was a bonehead move and just shows that E* does not understand HD.

Does E* really think that subs will start watching channels in HD that they never watched in SD just because the channel is now HD? (also, many of the new channels do not have HD content)

I already have D*. Without Voom, I can no longer justify E*. Too many holes in HD sports.
    No unique HD programming. No HD RSN in central NJ.

3. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Moderators, please move this to the "Voom" thread. Thanks

4. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Dumping Voom was a good move. The bandwidth is better used on the channels they've added. The Voom channels were crap anyways so no loss there.

"Does E* really think that subs will start watching channels in HD that they never watched in SD just because the channel is now HD?"

Actually, yes! I only watch HD and there are a number of shows i've started watching simply because they were in HD. Looks much much better when you have a 119" screen.

5. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    this wasn't intended as another voom thread per say, this was to show that Dish does not actually respond to e-mails, as you can see it still shows channels that we no longer have,

6. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    What gets me is how E* continues to push the following statement:

"DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition"

This is NOT TRUE!!! They have NOT been the leader in ANY of these categories for years!! How this is not false advertising is beyond me.

7. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Well actually it was true. Up until Direct had their big rollout this last fall.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Whether they are or are not the leader is very subjective. I think they WERE the leader when they had Voom. They lost this leadership when they dropped the Voom channels. Now they no longer are the leader and have nothing unique to set them apart from anyone else. :(

9. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    It's their receivers that set them apart. The VIP-622 and VIP-722 are excellent products and it's because of those and the HD only package that I stay with dish.

10. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    I couldn't agree with you more, Richard. All the other HD channels are available to everyone and, eventually, they all carry the same channels. Voom is what made them different.

11. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    Exactly. From all of the complaints I've heard about D* equipment and the software, is THE major reason why we never switched to D*. E* has always had better equipment and software.

Just be patient people, E* will catch up with D* sooner or later. I know dumping VOOM was a bad choice, IMO. I used to watch World Sports, and I'll miss the occasional CFL and La Liga Soccer games, but as long as E* gets my local channels by football season I'll be happy.

12. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    It does? It may have been formatted weird, but it looks like they're trying to show you great alternates to the VOOM stuff.

Code:
    VOOM Channel    Alternative Programming    Channel #
    Monsters HD    Chiller (Only available in SD)    199
    Rave HD    MHD    9469
    Rush HD    Universal HD, HD Net    9427, 9422
    HD Movies    HD Net Movies, Universal HD,      
                                           and Premiums in HD    9423, 9427
    I can't format it right, but you get the picture.

If so, what I want to know is how UniversalHD and HDNet are comparable to RushHD?

13. jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    See now that is where you are wrong. I can't watch the Yankees in HD here in Chicago, I can't watch the Miami Dolphins in HD in Chicago. They need to eliminate the Sports part of their statement, because in no way are they the HD leader in Sports. The only place to get NFL games in HD from around the country is D* and the same goes for MLB.
    Sure E* has NBA and NHL but so does D*. In my book as a sports fan D* clearly blows Dish out of the water for HD Sports.

14. Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    Chiller doesnt even come close to Monsters HD..a poor substitute..big difference between uncut horror movies in HD vs. crappy third rate horror shows in SD with commercials

15. marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas AllStar

May 4, 2006
    You're not kidding. Chiller, Showtime Beyond, and Showtime Extreme all together don't come close.

Monsters was the only Voom channel that I really watched often. Rave occasionally and the new Voom Movies looked like it might be pretty watchable. The others were just menu clutter for me.

I would have left E for the loss of Monsters alone, but for their equipment.

16. Yes616

Yes616 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    I too sent letters to..

1. Dish and received the very same response as the original poster.

2. Voom and received the very same message that is on the main page of the Voom site for the last few days.
    3. I deceided to take this one step further and sent e-mails to MGM-HD, HDNet Movies and Universal HD. Why? Because these are the only channels left at the Ultimate level I had some interest in. I could have included NHL, NBA, Smithsonian Channel HD and WFN but I no interest in those channels at all.

I have some interest in the channels I sent notes to but not $10.00 a month worth of interest. Here is what I sent them..
    Note: I disabled the links to the forums mentioned as I figured a moderator here would do it anyway. A link to this site was included in all my e-mails.

I couldn't find an e-mail address to Universal but I found a "contact us" button their web site that sent me to a form to fill out. I pasted this message there.

There has not been a response yet from the channels.

17. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    You should have spelled out "World Fishing Network" for them. They might not believe that Dish would put that (non HD) channel in an upper tier (HD) package. :(

18. Vidfreek

Vidfreek Cool Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I got the exact same letter back from them when I emailed them about getting rid of VOOM, although I expressed my happiness with adding some of the ones they did, I made sure they knew how disappointed I was in losing Monsters HD and Kung Fu HD....I watched those quite often and unfortunately as much as I wanted Chiller it cant compare to Monsters HD and saying that it does is a big freaking joke. Going from fully uncut all HD movies with no commercials to cut, edited and lots of commercials isnt even close to being a good thing, while I like a lot of the horror themed shows on Chiller (and Chiller is going HD later this year) it still cant make up for the fact that everything is edited and they have lots of commercials

I hope VOOM finds their way to get back in the game with another provider, hopefully DirecTV will pick them up and that will give me reason to switch next year, I'm sticking out my contract with Dish till its over since besides losing some channels their service and their equipment has been top notch and thats something worth staying on for IMO

19. lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    "Dish 's response to me e-mail"

Are you the lucky charms mascot?

20. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Oh, believe you me, I agree. I was just pointing out what they were trying to do. I'm not saying I agree with them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.