Dish Screensaver?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by benscripps, Jul 29, 2020.

1. benscripps

benscripps New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi! Quick question for those of you with Dish...

I'm looking at switching from DirecTV back to Dish. I've had some issues with Dish in the past, but Direct is (IMHO) so terrible now in everything that matters to me that I'm ready to come back. One of the things that ticked me off with Direct was their placing promotional graphics onto the screensaver that would pop up, leaving me with a 55" billboard in my living room. (Their tech support told me to disconnect the unit from the Internet, which fixes that issue but kills a bunch of other features, so that's not really great.)

My question is: does Dish do this at all on their DVR? I'm not specifically talking about paid adverts, but any sort of promotional thing ("Watch SportsBall on ESPN this weekend!"..."Free Showtime Weekend Starts Friday!!!", etc.) or DVR usage tips or anything like that as a screensaver if I leave my DVR paused? Or does it just dim the screen or sit there quietly or something like that? If they do, is there an option to disable it? What should I expect if I leave my DVR paused for 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Amazingly if you pause the picture the picture stays paused. If you are watching live TV the buffer is one hour, so it will unpause when you are an hour behind live. If you leave the power down timer set the receiver will shut off and go to a screen saver after a number of hours of your choosing.

Pause means pause, not show me an ad in 30 seconds. :)

syphix and Dishdude714 like this.
  3. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    There is a screensaver when you put the receiver into standby, or when it goes into standby on its own as James said. There is an option to disable the inactivity standby countdown, so the receiver will stay on until you turn it off. It is not recommended to use that option, though, since it would prevent the receiver from taking any necessary software updates or guide downloads.

What you will see in the standby screensaver varies by receiver model. An older receiver such as a ViP211k (for example) will show nothing but advertisements from Dish, asking you to upgrade to a Hopper. (Really old legacy receivers like a 512 still give the DVR tips in the screensaver, but those receivers are no longer being activated by Dish anymore.) A newer receiver with the Hopper interface will show various advertisements in the screensaver, but these ads only show up when the receiver is in standby. The Hopper screensaver will also let you know when your receiver is taking a guide download, and it gives a percentage (in increments of 5%) of the progress. If you are waiting for the guide to finish downloading, it is important to watch the percentage displayed carefully. Most of the time, there will be a lull in the middle of the guide download, when the screensaver will temporarily change back to the regular screensaver. This may trick you into thinking the guide download is finished, when it actually isn't. Keep watching, and the guide download screen will come back, until the percentage reaches 95% complete. When the regular screensaver reappears after that, the guide download is actually finished.

Also, some of the apps have screensavers if there is no activity for awhile. This will usually be something like the Wally logo (for example) bouncing around the screen, with a message "Press Select to continue." In the Pandora app, the screen dims after 30 minutes of inactivity, and the album art appears bouncing around the screen until there is two hours of inactivity. (One-and-a-half hours after the screensaver appeared) At that point, the app will time out, taking you back to Live TV.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  4. benscripps

benscripps New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Something of a minor miracle these days...:)

Thanks to both of you for your responses--exactly what I was looking for!

syphix and crodrules like this.
  5. flatus

flatus Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Remember when the 712 receiver would put up a maze and then solve it? Always thought that was neat.

crodrules likes this.