1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish set-top boxes to provide ratings data

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by HarveyLA, Jun 16, 2010.

1. HarveyLA

HarveyLA Legend

Jun 8, 2006
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=130241

partial quote:

Rentrak will begin offering ratings culled from set-top boxes in approximately 17 million homes starting next month. That's when it fully integrates data garnered from satellite provider Dish Network into its system.

The data will power both its national and local-market ratings products as it looks to trump Nielsen with ratings from more homes nationally and provide commercial ratings locally.

While most of the estimated 17 million homes will be served by Dish, data from AT&T U-verse (telco TV) and Charter Communications (cable) will be melded in for the full universe.

Both Rentrak's TV Essentials (national) and StationView Essentials (local) services offer second-by-second data, including commercial ratings, but only at the household level. There are no demographic breakdowns.

2. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I'd be happy with just a picture and the correct listing in the guide.

3. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Anyone have any knowledge on when this huge download of software will occur?
    This is a huge code rewrite for all of Dishes boxes in order to do this.

4. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Heh, I always assumed that all my DVR activity was communicated back to the mothership for ratings purposes...

5. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Actually, I think the code has been there for a while. I seem to recall some discussion about this ability being added a year or so ago? Does anybody remember this?

Note that the press release indicates that next month is when the data from Dish will be fully integrated, implying to me that the data is already available, just not fully tied into their statistics.

6. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    And yet they dropped the requirement for phone or broadband connection. How do they propose to collect this data?

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I guess they will collect only on those they are getting data from. My subbed receiver's modem doesn't work ...

8. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Is this really so? First time I've heard of it. Can I unplug my phone line from my 622 without an annoying message about no phone connection?

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    They have been collecting the data for years, just not selling it to anybody.

10. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes.