1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish signal faster than Direct?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hankmack, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 2, 2007 #1 of 21
    hankmack

hankmack Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Hi. I was watching the Versus network yesterday, Stanford v Cal, on DTV. My father called me during the game who was watching it on DISH. He commented on plays several seconds before they appeared on my set. Strange.:rolleyes:

2. Dec 2, 2007 #2 of 21
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    And if you watched it live you would see additional time differences. There is a difference in processing signals, there is also time delays in many sporting events since there was a costume malfunction a few years back. Until you talked to your father did you even realize you weren't watching a "live" event?

3. Dec 2, 2007 #3 of 21
    eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Basically it is the processor of the receiver that is causing the delay. As the receiver has to decode the signal. If it is MPEG 4 vs MPEG2 on Directv, there will be delays as the MPEG 4 will decode faster. I see it constantly between Directv receivers .

4. Dec 2, 2007 #4 of 21
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Do you both have a DVR? A DVR can add a second or two the the delay.

5. Dec 2, 2007 #5 of 21
    JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    SD is also less delayed than HD

6. Dec 2, 2007 #6 of 21
    CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Having both I see this all the time. Every channel on D* runs behind those on E*. Some a second, some a couple.

7. Dec 2, 2007 #7 of 21
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have D* in the living room and in the den. The den is 2 seconds ahead of the living room. Multiple TVs in the den and when I am watching the Red Zone channel which jumps from game to game it is ahead of the other TV which is showing only that one game. Same DVRs on both TVs. Both are Mitsubishi HD. I don't see any rhyme or reason for it?

8. Dec 2, 2007 #8 of 21
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I noticed the delay between DirecTV and the same program broadcast over-the-air. I assumed it was the time to upload the signal to the satellite and send it back to Earth.

Then one day I was watching a college basketball game, and got sick of listening to the ESPN announcers. So I turned down the sound on my TV and turned on the local radio broadcast. But the delay of hearing "He shoots and makes it" and then waiting to watch the player dribble down court and take the shot 3 seconds later was somewhat disconcerting.

My friend told me to switch to the other station (in a nearby town) which aired the same radio broadcast. The sound on this station almost exactly matched the DirecTV video.

So two nearby radio stations airing the same play-by-play broadcast were off by about 3 seconds. It doesn't surprise me that DirecTV and Dish, with all the extra processing they do, aren't exactly in sync.

9. Dec 2, 2007 #9 of 21
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Add to all of this delay, the time to go to different SATs.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Dish is located in Colorado and DirecTV in LA. The Dish offices are at a higher altitude so it takes less time for their uplink to get to the satellites than DirecTV's.

Yes, I'm kidding.

11. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    I have noticed that there is a difference between OTA analog and OTA Digital.

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Pay a visit to a local TV stations master control.

We have to monitor our signal on Analog OTA, Digital OTA, Cable, Cable HD, Dish and DirecTV.
    (we need Dish HD and DirecTV HD soon).

If you see something happen on one screen, you can look at the screen next to it and see it happen again, then again, again, again.

By the time you reach the end of the monitor wall, up to 6 seconds have elapsed since the first occurance of the event.

Dish and DirecTV (SD anyway) used to be about 3 seconds difference, they've narrowed the margin to about a second and a half.

Both Dish and DirecTV get our signal via fiber, used to be in the old days they both took us off an antenna then uplinked to their sat farm, then off to their respective satellites, that added another second or two into the delay.

Pretty sure they are both getting us off antenna again for Digital OTA (HD), then most likely fibered to their uplink center since fiber is cheaper than satellite time (I assume).

phox

13. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    My HR20 is atleast 15 seconds behind my Dad's SD receiver. I'm not sure what model his is.

14. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Hey they should use it in their marketing instead of the pack of lies they are now spewing.

They should advertise - DISH Network - the FASTEST HD provider.

:lol:

15. badmonkey

badmonkey AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    If Dish's 'signal' is faster they may want to dig up Einstein and let him know that his theory that nothing can exceed the speed of light has been proven false. :)

All kidding aside, as others have already pointed out, there are many factors at play between the source material generation to the end-user consumption - even for live broadcast events. I deal with this quite often in my theater since the lobby area has a TV that is not served by a DVR but rather an standard receiver. That TV is typically a second or two ahead of the theater.

16. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    It's not just sat. I have Knology for cable and there is a delay between anolog to digital to HD.

My mom can watch the news in her area on a digital box and I can hear it in the kitchen while I watch an analog tv in there. There is a 1 second delay. I can then hear my wife watch the HD feed in the living room and there is a 3 second delay between the analog & HD. When I'm cooking, its like some weird triple echo effect!!! :p

17. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    The guy cooks...!

Wow!

My husband can cook awesomely...does that mean he does...unfortunately not. Unless it involves grilling, and then noone is allowed to touch the grill.

If I have my standard in the back room and the HD on in the living room, it is off by 3-4 seconds. It just does not help when listening to music!

18. lenjack

lenjack Cool Member

Nov 14, 2006
    My sd kitchen connection is 6 seconds ahead of my livingroom HD.

19. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    from what i have noticed MPEG-4 is the most delayed signal...

i see it as OTA(analog than digital) the fastest
    than D* MPEG-2HD
    D* SD
    and MPEG-4 behind all other channels.

i say it like this because i could see something on CNN SD (r15) and i would see and hear the same comments like 4 seconds later on my HR20 viewing CNN HD. and both tv's are in the same room .

what causes this extra delay for the MPEG 4 signal?? the BBC??

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Each channel has a delay that will vary from the source to D*, then up to each SAT and down to you and then through your receiver.
    The same "channel", watched on the same receiver [model] but tuned to different SATs will have a delay between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.