DISH Spectrum loaned to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon during pandemic

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 19, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This week Dish loaned its various spectrum to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is providing 20 MHz of AWS-4 (Band 66) and all of its 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T, its 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile, and Dish subsidiary-owned AWS-3 spectrum licenses to Verizon at no cost for at least 60 days. From a news release:

DISH is proud to support Americans' personal and professional connectivity needs during this challenging time," said Jeff Blum, DISH SVP of public policy and government affairs. "As we take this step, we'd like to thank the FCC for their leadership on the technological needs arising as a result of the virus, including the increased need for broadband access to help consumers respond to the impact of COVID-19 on daily life."​

It's complicated and while most ISP's in urban areas have a lot of capacity, in rural areas that's not true. The "stay home" shift involves maintaining connections to the virtual private network (VPN) of the employer and/or school (both if parents and kids are home).

As noted in one article: " In hard-hit Seattle, Internet use was up 40% last week compared to January. As video chats replace face-to-face meetings, peak Internet use is happening in the middle of the workday."

NYDutch likes this.
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder how long it would take to spin up new spectrum.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’ve often wondered if at this point most antennas are the same and then just software controlled over what channels they actually use at any given time and in any given place. If so, you’d think it’d be a “switch” to flip, all be it with likely lots of safeguards to set before flipping.

But that’s just my crazy guess. Does anyone know if that’s actually the case?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Your guess sounds pretty plausible to me - it would be stupid to have to build custom equipment for each carrier - but customized settings of generic equipment would be a standard feature.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Not just customized for each carrier but also every market... that’d be expenisve for no reason.