Dish Spot Beam Map?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cpalmer2k, Feb 26, 2019.

1. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Just curious if anyone happens to have an accurate spot beam map for 61.5, Spotbeam 5? My inlaws have a Pathway X2 and travel with Dish and the Welcome Pack. They returned home this past weekend from a trip and planned to just leave their locals set on the coast until their next trip in a few weeks. Based on both the spot beam map I found here and this KMZ file I downloaded from this forum years ago we should be well within range for this spotbeam but they're getting zero signal at home. Is the FCC data on the spotbeam that far off or do they just have a signal issue?

Mapping the address on the KMZ file their location is about two miles to the right of the "Green" line, which I always understood as being good enough signal to be received.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Attached an image to make it easier

LocationvsSpotbeam.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Are they sure they have a clear view of 61.5? They could try switching the X2 to the western arc to see if 110 (SD) or 129 work...

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The locals for that location are on spotbeam 56 not spotbeam 5. The maps are estimates and I would not consider "two miles" inside to be any sort of guarantee. I believe I use the same level as signal as the green line for the maps I have drawn. Since most of my diagrams have one line I picked one that gives a decent idea of where the spot covers without being too small.

4. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    The signals on 61.5 seem fine and all the national channels come in OK. They always set the X2 up in the exact same spot when at home. They have a Dish Outdoors account and were in Wilmington over the weekend. For some reason the MyDish app still doesn't give them the option to change locals in it though, so they have to do the chat thing to switch which is often frustrating. With some assistance from me they finally got switched over to Wilmington on 61.5 Spotbeam 5 and it worked fine on their trip of course. They're only home for a week or so before going back again so to avoid having to switch over they were going to just leave it as is until they go/return home again. I thought they would be OK since the Spotbeam map for 5 shows them well within the "Green" area, but I guess the beam is either weaker than expected or perhaps the FCC data wasn't 100% correct? I haven't been over to play with the spot beams for the other markets that "should" reach them but I guess I should just to see how the others line up.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Try using www.jameslong.name for locals / spotbeam information.

It looks like you need transponder 24 for Wilmington Nc Locals. Since it is eastern arc, likely around 50-low 60's for signal strength.