1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish subscribers, be aware of the Fox/DirecTV dispute

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For those who aren't aware of it, check out the thread Fox / Newscorp channels possibly suspended Nov. 1. For those of you who are new or have short memories, you may also want to review the thread Dish Retrans Dispute with Fox over 50% Hike (Channels Off 10-1-2010).

In the last two years, News Corp (aka Fox) has forced its broadcast channel affiliates to agree to pay News Corp $1 per month per subscriber from retrans fees which the affiliates will have to collect from you. Those affiliates that disagreed Fox dumped. That's how they play the game.

In a gutsy move I would have only expected from Dish's Charlie Ergen, after months of negotiations DirecTV has notified New Corp management that without an acceptable contract by November 1 it will drop FX, National Geographic Channel, Speed, Fuel TV, Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Movie Channel, Fox Deportes and the 19 Fox regional sports networks.

If that actually happens, I intend to tell neighbors who have DirecTV that they can come to my house to watch programming from the channels I get that DirecTV dropped.

IMHO the retransmission fee issue must be addressed directly by those who end up paying, meaning we the viewers whenever we can. We know Congress isn't going to help, though New Corp's recent highly publicized criminal activities have made the company less desirable for politicians to be associated with. It's up to us.;)

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    We can only hope this happens... not to "get even" so DirecTV customers get to experience something Dish customers have seen recently... but so that the negotiations between the channels and the cable/satellite companies will start being a bit more reasonable.

When Dish was the one fighting most publicly people tended to dismiss Dish... and DirecTV would take advantage (yeah, Dish takes advantage when the shoe is on the other foot)... but IF DirecTV took a bunch of these channels off-air OR were forced to do so by FOX... that would let everyone know it isn't just Dish being the odd man.

3. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    For once I wish DTV good luck. And to News Corp. let me remind them that I was a regular viewer of Sons of Anarchy until they pulled the plug on DISH. It lasted long enough that I never went back to SOA after service was restored. Guess that was one case where Gordon Geko was wrong. Greed just cost them a viewer.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You know, I haven't watched anything on FX since the mess last year. I've watched a few things on NatGeo and maybe one or two on Fox Movies, but none of the others. To me, this should be a package provided free to the carriers supported only by their advertising and sports contracts. It just isn't worth anything at all to me.

Many of the programs on FX are available OTA if you get a Fox affiliate anyways.

5. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    There must be some mistake. This stuff only happens to Dish. I've read that right here in these forums. ;)

6. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I support Dish Network when this has happened, and I support DirecTv in their fight. The broadcasters should be happy for the extra eyes on their programs and commercials (even with a DVR, you see bits of them and I have actually gone back to see what some were), but they have to try to bleed us too. I think they should pay the sat companies to get on their systems!

Good luck, DirecTv!

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm not one who believes in governmental intervention, however in the case of pay-TV it's getting ridiculous. The networks want it both ways, subscriber fees and advertizing revenue. Tell FOX, O.K. you want $1 per sub, then show NO COMMERCIALS - you are the same as HBO.

My EPG is full of the same listing: "paid programming" :p For every one of those scheduled that is how much the subscriber fee drops. There are so many now they should pay me to have the channel turned on.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I wouldn't even mind if they ran a few scamfomercials over night if the regular programming was commercial free.

9. dishman1999

dishman1999 Registered User

Sep 26, 2011
    no way I would wish Directv anything! Curbstomp them out of biz so Dish network can own them!

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    What is "overnight" for you is not so to other viewers. Remember satellite TV serves the CONUS plus Alaska and Hawaii. So a 3 AM infomercial in eastern time is 12 midnight on the West Coast and even earlier in AK/HI.

If the broadcast networks want to show paid programming they need to significantly discount the per subscriber fees and not ask for these outrageous increases. Broadcast stations in particular should not be asked for these fees as long as the same channel is made available for free OTA.

Like I said before I'm not one to get the government involved, however if content providers can't play fair maybe we need to sic Congress on their sorry behinds.

11. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    +1

12. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Maybe I don't it get but what does this have to do with E*?

13. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Dish will likely face the same issue with Fox.

14. dishman1999

Sep 26, 2011
    dish already sign a contract with fox and I call the said it a long term deal!"After prolonged negotiations to reach a fair deal, we're pleased to enter into a long term agreement with Fox and to assure our customers that they can continue to enjoy these channels," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for Dish Network in a statement. "We thank our customers, our retail and channel partners, and our employees for their support through these negotiations, which we believe resulted in a fair deal that reinforces Dish Network's position as the best value in television."

http://www.multichannel.com/article/459190-Dish_Fox_Reach_Retrans_Deal.php

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It doesn't have anything to do with Dish Network directly. If nothing else we need to provide a sympathetic ear to those on this forum who are DirecTV customers.

Right now News Corp (aka Fox) is the worst example, but what the cable and broadcast channel owners have been doing is picking off piecemeal one signal provider after another demanding large retransmission fee increases.

These fee increases will ultimately get passed on to the subscriber. At some point, if the satellite and cable systems don't fight back TV is going to become unaffordable for a lot of people.

Dish Network consistently has resisted fee increase demands including against News Corp (see the thread Dish Retrans Dispute with Fox over 50% Hike (Channels Off 10-1-2010)). That DirecTV has taken a really aggressive stance is worth noting and supporting as a TV programming consumer even if my provider is Dish.

I personally don't care where my neighbors get their TV signals, but I do know we're all in the same boat when it comes to the big media conglomerates. If one provider aggressively takes on big media and my neighbors are affected, I'll do what I can to encourage them to just sit back and let the battle unfold. If they are going to miss some programming, I'll invite them to come to my house to watch rather than grumble at DirecTV.

We Dish subscribers know that the next big one for Dish is likely to be Disney which includes cable channels and ABC owned and operated broadcast locals.

16. dishman1999

Sep 26, 2011
    well I guess see ya ESPN I don't care I will tap into my cable!

17. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Competition is good. I support DirecTV in their fight.

I do admit I watch Speed and Hockey on FOXN. It seems that Hockey is the only game in town now.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC

Wise words. "The enemy of my enemy is sometimes my friend".

19. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    There is referance to watching some of these stations on cable, WELL I HATE TO TELL YOU, but the cable company's have the same problem as were do you think they get the programing to put on the cable? FROM THE SATELLITES. I have a neighbor that works for the local cable company and I also used to work for them and I can tell you this last go around for a retrans fee form a major network work cost the cable co. $1.25 a sub, now x that by 600,000 (just in my area) and the network gets $750,000 A MONTH.

Networks get rich, every one else goes broke.

20. gsocal2011

gsocal2011 New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dish subscribers shouldn't be affected by this. It's negotiations between Fox and DirectTV right?