Dish Tailgater and VIP 211k

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by ultimofootball, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ultimofootball

ultimofootball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    I'm getting ready for some serious football and tailgating and I just got my Tailgater and 211k receiver. Receiver has been activated and when I hook up Tailgater I am missing some channels. I am also not sure Tailgater found more than the 110W satellite. I have it pointing south and looks to be unobstructed. Any hints or suggestions? I did unplug recover and do this 3 times also. Thanks!

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network Member

Jan 6, 2011
    You can try a new coaxial cable. Make sure the handle is facing North as well. Be sure you are not using any wall plates or anything and the TG has a straight coax cable and rescan.

3. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    I guess I'm confused as to why it has seemed to find the satellite and only some channels are missing but most are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network Member

Jan 6, 2011
    You are correct, it should see 110/119/129. In the very NE part of the country 129 is hard to get, but not 119. There could be a couple issues like line of sight.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Isn't he locating in AL ?

6. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Yes. Alabama.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is probably why Matt is all over insuring that your Tailgater is getting enough power to accurately position (and reposition) the dish.

If the power is falling after initial setup, the dish may not be able to execute the reorientation.

8. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Decided to try something different other than Tailgater which I may sell to my friend. I got a 1000.4 Dish HD satellite dish for Easter Arc and trying to set it up at campsite on temporary pole. I am locked on pretty good (I think) to the 61.5 W satellite (strength of 65), but it is not receiving the 72 or 77 satellite. I am using the same 211k receiver from home as I talked about above. One thing I noticed in the Point Dish part of the System Setup is I can choose Dish 300, Dish 500, and there is one other choice I don't remember. Also, I enter my zip code, then I need to choose which Dish I am using (should 1000.4 be listed?), then Transponder (once again, do I choose this?), and then Satellite, which I think will be 61.5, 72, and 77 for Easter Arc 1000.4 dish. Also, I used the Skew, Elevation, and Azimuth found in the back of the Dish 1000.4 book, which is 70, 48, and 156 respectively. I am getting channels, but I have not checked all of them, but shouldn't I be worried about not getting locked on one of the other 2 satellites? (Would have been easier if I could have gotten the Tailgater to work properly, but this setup is going to be fine too once fine tuned.)

9. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    I meant to ask one more thing - I have HD at home, and this 211k is a new purchase for me off of ebay, and I just got it added to my account this past week. I noticed that I am not getting as many HD channels as I do with my receivers at home - do I need to let it download all programming at my house (which I haven't done - I took it straight to campsite), of is the lack of HD on Dish's end, or does that have to do with only 61.5W satellite being locked?

10. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Ok. I think I may have figured it out. Showing how novice I am. I am only running one coax from port 1 of LNB which I think I have learned is the 61.6. Looks like I need to connect port 2 and port 3 and get a dpp44 switch if I want to do it right, correct?

11. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Your 1000.4 has a switch built in you only need one cable to a 211.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The 1000.4 has a DP switch built in, so you should not need another switch.

You also should not need to select anything special in the dish pointing menu ... selecting SuperDish or whatever other selections you have just makes the receiver look for switches and satellites you do not receive. Leave the special dishes unchecked.

The selection of 300 or 500 are only for pointing based on the zip code provided. It does not matter what you select there as long as your dish is aimed correctly. The 1000 has its own azimuths, elevation and skew which need to be looked up in the manual - not on the receiver.

If you have 61.5 do a checkswitch ... the checkswitch should identify your switch as a 1000.4 (1K.4) and show 61.5 on port 3. If 61.5 is showing up on another port your dish is not aimed correctly (you are getting 61.5 on the wrong head). You will need to turn your dish slightly and re-aim.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you don't need a switch, the LNBF has the switch inside
    just take your time and learn how to setup multi-feed LNBF
    get Satellite AR app for your smartphone/tablet
    get direction and angles from www.dishpointer.com

14. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Thanks for the info on the internal switch. And I think that the 61.5W satellite may be showing up on Port 1. So I will check that again in the morning. But I do seem to be getting all channels, just not in HD. Still wondering if that's because I only activated the receiver over the phone and didn't hook it up at my house before leaving for camp, or if it is because I am missing two satellites.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are a lot of SD channels on 61.5 ... and a few of the HD channels. You need 61.5 and 72.7 to get all the channels.

16. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Thanks. Good info.

17. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Looks like 61.5 may be on port 1. On the Diagnostic screen it is listed under #1. Is that what it means? If so what exactly does that mean? And what do I need to do? Thanks again for all of the help.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    means your dish aimed to the sat by wrong LNBF; you'll need turn the dish 11 degree to right

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Better yet, visit dishpointer.com and select Dish 1000.4 from the Multi-LNB setups.

Aiming isn't rocket science but it must be treated very precisely.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    isn't post#13 missed by TS ? ;) and he need to be pointed to the site again and again ?