Dish Tailgater Two Receivers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jkimrey, Jun 14, 2019.

1. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    Hi.

My dad has a Dish tailgater dish (with two outputs) and two receivers.

I believe there are three satellites that are used to receive channels? He was speaking to a Dish technician today and was told that if someone was watching a channel on satellite "A" that the other receiver couldn't pick up any channels that were not on the same satellite.

Is this information correct?

Thanks

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes

NYDutch likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if the dish have newest 3 sat LNB block - NOT

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The dish specified does not receive more than one orbital position at a time.

"**Programming lineup will be limited and/or not identical on the Secondary receiver. Complete signal loss can occur on the Secondary receiver if the Main receiver switches to programming on a different satellite that does not carry the same channel. However, the Secondary receiver can be re-configured to receive the same programming from any current satellite that the Main receiver is locked onto and is viewing live TV."

NYDutch likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    who is the "genie" invented such awkward dish ?!

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The goal is to have a small self aiming dish. The Tailgater has the dish inside an enclosed dome, which protects the elements from the elements. It is a small footprint device that could be used for DISH or DIRECTV DBS reception (opening up to additional potential buyers - just keep the DISH logo off of the ones sold for DIRECTV).

Multiple orbital portable dishes are available. They cost five times as much as a Tailgater and have an exposed dish design. The marketplace is smaller for two receiver multi-satellite dishes (DISH customers with two receivers in an RV/commercial vehicle as opposed to DISH and DIRECTV customers with one receiver either in a vehicle or set up at a campsite or other temporary location outside of a vehicle). Small markets lead to higher equipment expenses.

NYDutch likes this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The Dish logo'd version of the King Tailgater only works with specific Dish single tuner VIP receivers and the Wally. When used with a Wally, the current Tailgaters can receive the eastern arc 61.5 satellite and the three western arc sats, but the VIP receivers are western arc only. Only those receivers have the software needed to control the Dish Tailgater version. King does have a similar dome called the King One Pro that's compatible with some DTV (Ku only), Dish, and Bell receivers. Winegard has a similar line of portable self aiming dishes, including the Dish only Pathway X2 that receives the entire eastern arc sat set as well as the western arc sats. Winegard and RF Mogul both make a permanently RV roof mounted automatic aiming multi-LNB dish with Dish/Bell and DTV models.

P Smith likes this.
  8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No 72.7 on the Wally?

9. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Correct... Only 61.5 and the western arc. The idea is apparently for 61.5 to replace 129 when the elevation is too low. That's really not much help in heavily treed locations when you need a clear view of 61.5, 110, and 119. We've been on a few sites where all we could get were 72.7 and 77 through a small opening, and no way we could hit the spread from 61.5 to 110 and 119. Since 77 duplicates so many of the 61.5 channels, at least in SD, that works well enough for a temporary stay.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am surprised ... having 32 transponders and no locals I'd expect 72.7 to be the best place to point a portable/mobile dish. People would only need to tune away if they wanted locals. Add distant networks for RVs only to 72.7 and one could have nearly all content on one orbital location.

11. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Have you looked at how many popular so called "cable channels" Dish has moved from 72.7 to 61.5 in the past couple of years? Some fellow that I can't recall puts out a great list that has the channels and which satellites they're on. ;)

Channels 1-999 on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I prefer this link for this discussion:
    Eastern Arc Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

They have moved more off to 61.5 than I expected. I knew that a lot of the SD duplicates were moved to 77 (where people with the EA twin don't see them). The potential still exists for DISH to make 72.7 perfect for the RV market with all of the SD only channels plus all of the HD channels that will fit. There isn't room for all the HD on one satellite so some would still need to go to 61.5 (potentially putting SD duplicates for 61.5 HD channels on 72.7 if they wanted a single orbital system for RVs). But channel placement is focused more on the home user than the RV user.

That is where the software for the Traveler needs to match what DISH is doing with the satellites. Adding 72.7 would help their customers. Having 61.5 available for locals is important since DISH generally uses in market locals for RV users (no distants sold by DISH). DISH does have channels on 72.7 that could be RV distants (channels 4046 through 4059) but I can't find anyone marketing those channels.

NYDutch likes this.
  13. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes, I agree the EA list is a better choice for this discussion. I also agree the potential is there for Dish to make the sat choices more RV friendly, but I don't know if they'll be inclined to do so. Dish was offering west coast DNS for awhile, but I don't see it listed anymore. For those of us with 77 access, there are about a dozen CONUS HD locals we can pick from as well as a few CONUS SD locals on 119 for a sort of "pseudo DNS" by moving our service addresses to those DMA's. The Trav'ler and RF Mogul roof mount automatic multi-LNB dishes are programmed for the WA only, although the Trav'ler can be manually aimed at 61.5 I think. Maybe it's 72.7...

14. haub

haub New Member

Jul 20, 2016
    To NYDutch and James Long-

AFAIK, The Winegard Pathway X2 still has 72.7 as standard for "two receiver" mode. The X2 also picks up the full eastern or western arc if preferred. This also applies to the Wally.

Otherwise, apart from antenna size restraints, I dont know why Dish and the antenna manufacturers cant join up to program access to both eastern and western arc on any mobile single LNB dish. They already went through the trouble to add 61.5 on the tailgaters/playmakers via software updates.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    NYDutch likes this.
  15. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    The limitations are apparently in the antenna programming capabilities or capacities. The eastern arc has been around for years, but except for the X2, it's only recently that they've found a way to add 61.5 to a few models.