Dish to Shut Down Slingbox (in Nov 2022)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Nov 11, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per Variety story:

On Monday, Dish’s Sling Media unit announced that Slingbox servers will be permanently taken offline 24 months from Nov. 9, 2020.​

I hope this isn't a duplicate post but I couldn't find one with this announcement.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The first I have seen of this. Good to have a two year warning.

3. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    This sucks....I hope someone comes out with another box?....Vucanos were better than Slings...I pay for sports, and enjoy streaming when Im away

4. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Note that this does not effect the Sling equipped Hopper and Hopper w/Sling using DishAnywhere, only the standalone boxes.

AZ. likes this.
  5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    They already disabled the Sling Adapter on my 722K. That used to work really well when I first got it and as time went on it got worse. I remember being on a train and watching DVR content on my phone using 3G without interruptions, except when we went through a tunnel. It adjusted the picture quality really well depending on my signal.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The Sling adapter was built on Flash hardware and Flash has been abandoned due to security flaws that were not fixable.

Poorsha likes this.
  7. JJBLW182

JJBLW182 New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I've been searching for a Slingbox replacement, but it seems that everything out there is now obsolete. I've come up with a work around, but it's a bit expensive and more involved. I purchased a Thor HDMI to ATSC modulator and an Amazon Recast. The modulator converts the HDMI signal from my Directv receiver to ATSC and I connect the ATSC coax coming from the modulator to a splitter from my antenna that feeds the Recast box. The Recast box only receives OTA/ATSC signals. So basically the output from my Directv becomes another OTA signal to my Recast. I use my Recast to view it when I'm out of home. To change channels on the Directv I use their app on my iPad. You've got to play with the Recast a bit because they seem to have a database of channels and will only tune in ones that are in the area so they can display two weeks of guide data. You'll have to set the modulator to output a channel that's in your area that you don't get on your antenna. Plus you might need to weaken the signal from the modulator with an attenuator so it doesn't interfere with the other OTA signals. Having this setup I can view my Directv on any TV in my home that is connected to my roof antenna. Plus now I can just use a Firestick and watch my Directv and OTA channels through the Recast box via WiFi. When I'm out of home I simply use the FireTV app on my iPad or Android tablet. Bring your Firestick along and watch it on the big screen............

** Please note I tried the lower priced Multicom modulator, but for some reason the Recast box would not tune in the ATSC signal.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

P Smith likes this.
  8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    May have to fall back to the inferior product - DishAnywhere built in to the H3 and HWS. It's a shame because the SlingBox interface is so much better than the DA interface and it is faster too. They should have ported the SlingBox interface to DA.

Perhaps if the Hoppers are to weak to run the SlingBox interface, they could build another USB plug in like the one for Hopper 2000's to boost the interface to handle the SlingBox interface.

ARE YOU LISTENING CHARLIE!!

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  9. Jun 4, 2021 #9 of 16
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I see Channel Master has an HDMI to ATSC modulator for $299.

Personally I have a piece of software that allows me to screen capture almost anything that I can display on my computer, may have to figure out how to adapt that.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    regardless HDCP ?!

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Screen scraping has always been a problem for DRM. Some apps look for the presence of popular screen scrapers.

The problem with screen scraping is that it doesn't always do well with audio.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    screen grabbers ? but the 'scraping' could end up with damaged eg scratched screens :(

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Capturing the video output being sent to a device's monitor or screen and saving it to a file (along with the audio content being sent to a device's speakers). No physical contact required.

14. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    Go on eBay and look at Zee Vee Qam modulators.

I have gotten a few dozen anywhere from $99 for a single channel to around $300 for a 4 channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Claude A Greiner

Dec 7, 2018
    Go on eBay and look at Zee vee. I have gotten used 1 channel modulators for $99

16. Claude A Greiner

Dec 7, 2018
    That actually worked nice.

I had it connected to my fiber connection at work and it was streaming around 10 mb.

Picture quality was good.

Only thing I miss after getting rid of Dish