1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish "took over" my 2 owned recievers - watch out dish reciever owners!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nightfly85, Apr 12, 2009.

1. nightfly85

nightfly85 Mentor

Oct 6, 2005
    I bought and activated a vip 211 in May 2007 and later a vip 722 in july 2008. Had problems with activating the 722 so Dish replaced it with one that worked. Since the card swap, I've had to have them replace my 211 twice.

Now for some reason, dish thinks they own them both and they are putting it on me to prove I own them.

Back in Nov when I called about this and supposedly resolve the vip 722 ownership issues, they still had on record I "owned" the 211. But since then as noted above, I've had to have the 211 replaced (at no fault of mine).

Luckily I have the receipts, but this is completely illegal bull crap on dish's part.

So if you own a receiver, you should check periodically to make sure dish thinks you own it and keep all your receipts.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You said you "had problems activating" the 722. If your owned 722 was never activated on your account, I could see how they could have listed their 722 as "leased" when it was activated, as this is the normal process, while "owned" is the exception. Not sure about the 211; not enough info in your post. But obviously someone made a mistake.

3. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Who did you buy the receivers from? Surely you should be able to get something from them concerning the purchase. It couldn't have been directly from DISH as they don't "sell" receivers. Replacements for owned receivers remain owned.

4. nightfly85

nightfly85 Mentor

Oct 6, 2005
    The 211, bought back in May of 07 and activated w/o issue. Was leasing a vip 622 at the time so using the 211 didn't cost me anything extra.

The only reason I originally noticed was that after I finally got the new 722 activated I noticed I was still be charged a lease fee.

I called up, got some manager to research and she informed me that yes, the 722 was mine, but I wouldn't be saving any money as the lease fee goes away, but then I would get charged for the additional outlet HD fee which was the same amount.

My bill changed to reflect this..I no longer have a lease fee on it, just the AO fee.

But seemingly I have to go through hoops again with Dish. It just sucks. Everything I do with them takes 2 calls: the first for them to screw up the request, and a followup to get them to fix it - I kid you not. For instance, when I had the hard-drive feature activated for my 211 - it didn't work; I called back and they discovered it had been activated on the 722 not the 211.

It goes on and on. The CS reps are always nice - just generally incompetent. If they didn't have the "skip forward/back" feature on the DVR I'd be so gone... (Update: I just discovered that DTV does have 6 sec back skip and 30 sec skip forward, I am about to be a DTV customer after this mess gets resolved. Bye Dish guys and GL.)

5. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I didn't realize that dish replaced owned receivers at their cost, I thought they only did that for leased equipment.

6. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    They do in the first year.

7. DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    I beg your pardon, Dish sells receivers to those customers who happen to be over their leased tuner limit.

Thank You.

8. DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    The best way to know if you actually purchased a receiver from Dish is the amount you paid for it.

For a 722 receiver, if you paid more than $300, you bought it. If not, and you got it from Dish directly, it's leased.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm doubt for the rule - on eBay you can buy it for less then $300.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Your pardon is begged. :lol: This thread is not about anyone being over their leased tuner limit. :rolleyes:

11. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Even outside the first year, the most you'd pay for a replacement would be $49.00 + $14.95 shipping + tax.

12. nightfly85

nightfly85 Mentor

Oct 6, 2005
    Sadly, I've decided, at least in the short term, to stay with Dish. I am not happy about it, but my wallet won't let me move to DTV. All providers have their issues, I just feel slighted by their attitude. If they would simply look at their own billing over the period in question, they'd see my claims supported by their own information:

With 622 & 211, I was being charged a $5.98 lease fee up to mid-Nov when I noticed it, called up the CSRs and they fixed it. Fee went to a $7.00 AO. At that point clearly, I had no leased receivers or they'd be charging me for it, believe me.

And that's the way my bill currently sits, i.e. no leasing fees. I have no way to verify what dish thinks they own and don't own beyond my billing and neither do you. I simply wrote the post to log the event as I am certain I haven't been nor will be the last to experience this...b.s.

13. iceman3233

iceman3233 New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Well when adding receivers back to an account if they were removed for what ever reason, the rep is given an option of OWNED or LEASED to choose from may have happened have them go over previous notes and see when those receivers were added. Could have been done in error and should be easily resolved after going over previous work orders.

14. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Not the first and won't be the last, for sure. Different responses to the same question on different calls is pretty common, but that isn't just DISH.

Not very important, but might be worth mentioning. $5.98 is the amount of the DVR fee for the 722, not a lease fee amount. The Lease fee for a ViP receiver would be $7 - same $7 as an owned Addl Rec fee.

I didn't pay anything to DISH for either of the ViP DVRs DISH sent me for 942s (owned). The 622 came as an RMA for a 942 which I expected to be owned. I bought a 942 from a member here for $150 and it became a 722, but that one I had expected to be a lease based on things I read here. Some things said Owned as well, but every time I've asked, CSRs report all my receivers as Owned, and I can drop and add them back. The latter is probably the best test if DISH thinks they are owned/leased.

Whether or not your bill has a Lease fee on it doesn't tell you that much. When you got the 211 in 2007, if you had done a Dish'N It Up lease (not saying you didn't purchase, just background), it would have had a lease fee, no matter what receivers you had on your account. For over a year, existing customer upgrades (DIU) have the 1st leased ViP receiver qualify as the one that is included with the basic programming package. Someone with a leased 722 (new sub or existing sub that upgraded after ~ Feb '08) and say an owned SD 508 would not have seen a lease fee on their bill, but the 722 would still be leased.

Bottom line is it might be the Leased check box iceman3233 suggests. If they thought it was leased then, it would be easy to make it be the Primary receiver that doesn't have a Lease or Addl Rec fee and switch the owned 211 to be the $7 Addl Rec. The fact that you see some $7 Addl Rec fee in the past does mean they thought it was Owned at that time.

To make it more of a head banging experience, check current bills for Solo and Duo Receiver Charges. You'd now be able to distinguish if the $7 is for a 211 or 722, but references to Lease and Addl Rec seem to have disappeared from the bill. If current bills don't tell you leased/owned, I'd think fewer people would even notice and be sailing with you in that ship. Until they cancel!

15. AKDishuser

AKDishuser Mentor

Oct 18, 2006
    1. Dish has no legal leg to stand on, trying to put the burden of proof on anyone to prove you own your equipment. They are not a court of law. The old adage "possession is 9/10ths" applies here. If Dish thinks they own your DVR, let them prove it. Otherwise it's none of their business how you acquired your property. If they want to allege theft etc., they have to do it in court.

2)
    No, in my direct experience Dish will replace user-owned equipment when they acknowledge that this equipment is faulty. I bought a 510 DVR back in 2005. Due to Dish's firmware/software updating incompetence, this DVR has periodically experienced major problems with timers and recordings. Claiming the problem was my hardware, not their software, Dish nonetheless sent me a replacement DVR a couple of years ago (much more than a year after I bought the unit from my local installer). Fortunately for me, I hung on to the old one while checking out the new one. The new one had the same problems as the old one, and discussions with advanced tech support and here at DBSTalk convinced me that the problems were code-related. So I sent the replacement back. I was not billed for any of this.

Of course, ever since NBR firmware came out, my DVR is totally unreliable.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    In my case I had 10 different 921's. Since I purchased the original 921 I own the subsequent receiver (which is now a 622).

BTW: there is no difference between the "lease fee" and the "activation fee". Everyone gets charged the same (at least for the first receiver on an account).

17. JeffN9

JeffN9 Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    My billing descriptions have changed three times since I switched to the HD Absolute pkg. last year.

Originally it read DVR service fee $5.98 and additional HD receiver fee $7.

Then for a while after activating 2 ext. hard drives it read something like dual DVR fee $12/month. So I was saving $0.98 per month.:)

Now on the last statement I received it reads DVR service fee $5.98 and DHA leased receiver $7.

I have had a 622 and a 211 since day one. The equipment was basically free for signing an 18 month contract at the time. I have never really understood whether I owned the equipment or not.

It sounds like from reading this thread that I'm paying what I should be but the descriptions may not be accurate.

18. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Really? Which Dish package to you have?

Direct's Choice Extra HD+DVR package is regularly $76/mo. For new subs it is $55/mo for the first year. If you have a AAA membership, you get $10 off for the first 24 mos, so $45 the first year, and $66 the second.

Direct gives you the first HD DVR for free. I believe there is a one-time charge of $199 for the 2nd, if required. But, it is easy to get them to waive it if you mention Dish's free HD DVR's with 24 mo commitment. You can also sell your Dish receivers on eBay or Craigslist to defray that cost, or even make a profit.

Dish's equivelant Classic Gold 250 with HD and DVR Advantage is $78/mo. (New subs pay $43 for the first 6 mos. But, that doesn't apply to you.)

Remember, Dish charges $5.98 for each add'l DVR (in addition to the $5 for each add'l receiver on the accout.) Direct only charges one DVR fee for the entire household, which is included in the TC HD+DVR monthly fee.

So, while Dish offers quite a few lower-priced packages than Direct, for apples to apples programming and HW, when available, Direct is the same cost or cheaper.

19. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I was just on DirectTV website yesterday. Were I was given the 1st DVR for Free, for the other 5 Recivers, were $199. Granted I might get a 2nd one for free, but that sill leaves 4 for $199. One thing that caught my eye was "5 Lease Fee $25.00 ". Comparing Direct to my Dish DVR Advantage and making sure I get all the same channels and same HD channel(plus a few extra from Direct) Direct was more expensive, in the 1st year, close, only $12 more, but the 2nd year going on, more expensive by $35, factor at least $800 for the hardware makes Direct REALLY more expensive.
    The reason for 6 Direct Recivers is to I have 2 ViP622's and 1 ViP722. Would take 2 Direct HD Recivers to Replace each ViP, and try to recreate the manditory DLB, PiP, Autotune(Can't be done, but use one for Recording the autotune shows), we need. There would be alot of other missing features, but these are the ones we need and it takes 2 to replace 1.

20. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    The VIP DVR's only output ONE HD signal. So, you would not need two Direct HD DVR's to replace each VIP. You would need one HD and one SD DVR. (I'm curious how you use PIP, if you are using these VIP's in dual mode, btw.)

D* will give you the first HD DVR free, and a number of SD receivers for free, as well. (3 or 4). The second HD DVR is $199, which they will often waive if you merely mention Dish's deal.

The 5 lease fee you mention is the $5 add'l receiver fee, which Dish also charges, for the 5 add'l receivers. You must be paying two add'l receiver fees with Dish right now, as you have three units. Also, you must be paying THREE DVR fees, as Dish charges $5.98 per DVR (the first one is only $5 as part of Digital Advantage, or whatever they call it.) Direct only charges one DVR fee per account, which is included in their Choice HD DVR package.

As I said, depending on one's programming wants and NW needs, Direct can definitely cost less than Dish. I felt it needed to be pointed out, as so many folks still cling to the "Dish is so much cheaper" mantra that was true once upon a time, but not really any longer. (They are actually only a few dollars cheaper than Comcast in my area.)