1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish: Untruthful about baseball blackouts

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by obrienaj, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 7, 2004 #1 of 40
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    Dish Network continues to be untruthful to customers about some baseball blackouts.

2 years ago I subscribed to the Fox Sports package as I was in the home market for the Yankees, Mets, Pirates, and Indians. Despite being in the home market for those teams all , except the Pirates, were always blacked out. No matter how I asked Dish questions about this, they always responded as though I was a dumb customer who did not understanding how blackouts usually work. They insisted that "we have no control over Blackouts, the rules are set by MLB".

At that time, I asked who I could talk to in order to review if they were mistaken, and perhaps my zip code was incorrectly programmed for blackouts. They had no suggestions. Some months later I found this article in the Buffalo News.

"Inquiring minds who subscribe to DISH network want to know: Why can't they
    get the blacked out Mets and Indians baseball games on regional networks,
    Fox New York and Fox Ohio, when DirecTV subscribers get them? A spokesman
    for DISH acknowledged that the satellite service, unlike DirecTV, hasn't
    made a deal with the owner of those regional networks. The spokesman added
    that DISH is negotiating for the rights. If you can't wait, you better trade
    dishes"

Two year later Dish introduced MLB EXtra Innings (or "ESPN Baseball" as Laura the Customer Service Rep at Dish Executive Office insisted it was called !). I thought perhaps the previously blacked-out teams MIGHT be now available. No, no such luck, they are IN my home market.

So, I asked several reps...if those teams are IN my market I should be able to get them if they are carried on a FOX RSA, right? The three CSR's I chatted with all insisted I did not understand baseball blackouts and it related to MLB rules, nothing to do with Dish. They were at a loss when I asked why Direct TV customers on the same street were not blacked out :)

Today I received email from someone that claims what the Buffalo News reported is not unique to the Buffalo area. He claims several regions have different contracts with Fox, that Dish was "too cheap" to sign the same deals as Direct TV.

I don't mind Dish refusing to sign expensive deals/contracts. I DO mind them not being truthful about why they do not offer certain products. :mad:

Who, higher up the food chain, can I pursue this matter with? The CSR at Exceutive Office said that they cannot give names of people I could talk to.

2. Apr 7, 2004 #2 of 40
    BarryO

BarryO Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    i guess the reinforces the general rule that if sports is your #1 prioity, go with DirecTV.

3. Apr 7, 2004 #3 of 40
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    Sports are not my number one priority, hence I stay with Dish. I do however want to get their CSRs to be more truthfull.

4. Apr 7, 2004 #4 of 40
    MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    If your neighbor with Directv is getting the games and your not. Then its simple. Dish Network has not gotten a contractual agreement for that channel. Just like Dish Network has contracts with channels that Directv doesnt have.

5. Apr 7, 2004 #5 of 40
    jersey

jersey Guest

Dish seems to signing cheap contracts left and right. So why do they need to continue to increase the price of the packages every year? With the money they are saving by signing these cheap contracts; they should have enough to get the YES network and keep our rates down...right?

6. Apr 7, 2004 #6 of 40
    MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    The price increases that you speak of are minimal increases. They highest increase this year was for 3 dollars. With all the providers around, Dish had the lowest price increases. But customers only see the negative things involved with their service. (Viacom, price increase) Yet Dish keeps their prices to the lowest they can and battles a media mogul (viacom) and maintain the same price as before.

Yeah cheap stuff....

7. Apr 7, 2004 #7 of 40
    skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Not always...take a look at my thread at: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=25977

I just signed up w/ d* last week, and despite the fact I'm in Pirates and Penguines home territory, I can't get Fox Sports Pittsburgh or any RSN for that matter.

I would get this channel w/ AT120 on E* and my local cable system has it.

8. Apr 7, 2004 #8 of 40
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004

Maybe. Dish does carry the CHANNEL but blacks out the baseball games. My whole point is that they need to tell us they do not have a contract to carry the baseball games as opposed to simply telling us that it is due to MLB nationwide blackout rules.

9. Apr 7, 2004 #9 of 40
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004

I read the thread reference above. It addressed one of my key interests; how one might get Dish/Direct to review potential mistakes in their computers. Seems that the CSRs I have spoken to are just not trained to resolve such matters.

10. [/QUOTE]
    I just signed up w/ d* last week, and despite the fact I'm in Pirates and Penguines home territory, I can't get Fox Sports Pittsburgh or any RSN for that matter.

I would get this channel w/ AT120 on E* and my local cable system has it.[/QUOTE]

It may depend on the package you have purchased. I live in Pittsburgh metro area & have been with D* for many years. I have both locals and the sports pack and have not had any black out issues with the Penguins or Pirates games which are shown on Fox Sports Pittsburgh - 628 on your guide. Fox Sports Pittsburgh is part of the sports pack, not the locals package.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    DBSTalk members: As guest Casual Observer has done above, please identify your location (city, region, DMA) in your posts, or better yet, add it to your DBSTalk profile in the Control Panel (CP).

Thanks.

12. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I was pleasantly surprised about ONE thing...... the Pirates feed of the Phillies game was NOT blacked out on Extra Innings last night. I am in the New York Locals package and am ineligible for Philly channels, but mlb.tv blocks me from Phillies games saying that my zip code is claimed by the Mets, Phillies, AND Yankees...

Cool..... an extra game available. If they could just get YES I would have all games available, but being a Mets fan it isn't the end of the orld (at least until the fall when the Devils move to YES... I'm hoping MSG and FoxSPorts NY are under long term deals with E* so Charlie doesn't get tempted to drop the Mets, Rangers, and Islanders to pick up the Yankees and Devils....

13. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    You can perform this little experiment to see the diference between E* and D*:

Go to http://directv.fxep.com and http://dish.fxep.com. Enter a Buffalo ZIP code (ex. 14201) into each. D* can get Mets / Indians / Pirates / Yankees (Yankees not listed, but you do get them). E* can get Pirates. MLB EI on E* will still black out Mets / Indians / Yankees since you are in their home areas - i.e. even with Multi-Sport and MLB EI you don't get to see any Mets / Indians / Yankees games.

Now try a Las Vegas ZIP code (i.e. 89101). D* can get Angels / Dodgers / Diamondbacks / Giants / A's. E* can get Angels / Diamondbacks. Neither can get the Padres telecasts, since they are on a cable exclusive channel. Due to same home area rule mentioned above, an E* sub with Multi-Sport and MLB EI will still not see Dodgers / Giants / A's / Padres games. And D* subs with the Sports Pack and MLB EI will be blacked out of all Padres games.

Summary - for those who like baseball and live in certain ZIP codes, E* is a poor choice. And if you really want YES telecasts, get to D*. I think I will be. :(

14. Tornado25

Tornado25 Mentor

Mar 11, 2004
    "So, I asked several reps...if those teams are IN my market I should be able to get them if they are carried on a FOX RSA, right?"

This isn't entirely true. To the point: My home market Foxnet is FSN-North. Last night, FSN-N had the Bucks game on. I went the MLB EI and found the Brewers game (presumably, carried on what Foxnet is local for St Louis) was blacked out to me. Now THAT makes no sense--the Brewers are away, I can't realistically go to a Cardinals game, but MLB rules dictate that I can't see it--not DISH--in this case, because EI is primarily adminstered by MLB. I simply do NOT believe I could have gone to my mom's house (she has D*) and seen the Brewers game last night on MLB EI.

OTOH, I could watch the Indians/Twins game last night on what I think was the Minnesota feed of FSN-N. That doesn't make sense, either, because I thought the Twins claimed WI as part of their territory. Bottom line to me: MLB is the bad guy, period.

15. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Is there also a rule that if reliable equipment working correctly out of the box is your #1 priority, go with DirecTV? Just wondering.

16. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    I did your experiment using my zip code 14063. On Direct I would get Met and the Indians (seems Laura from Dish Executive Offices also lied when she said The Indians are NOT on Fox Sports Ohio) and Pirates. 3 teams. With Dish I would get simply the Pirates.

So, again my point it all this is that Dish should explain why, openely and HONESTLY.

17. Sparkman87

Sparkman87 Legend

Apr 27, 2002
    Was the Brewers games on one of the ALT channels?

18. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Wouldn't have mattered; you'd still have needed the OOM sports pack to view it, right? Or do you, if it's on an ALT channel?

19. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    The Brewers were on FSN Monday and Tuesday only. MLB has always been gay about blackouts even if your local station is not showing the game and St Louis is 7 hours away from Milwaukee!!!

20. greggg

greggg Legend

Dec 3, 2003
    It really is very simple if you are getting satellite mainly for sports you have to get D*. Anyone that argues otherwise is uninformed. I mean E* still doesn't have an NFL package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.