DISH Unveils Hopper 3 with Enhanced 4K Experience; Most Simultaneous Recording, Processing Power of

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    DISH Unveils Hopper 3 with Enhanced 4K Experience; Most Simultaneous Recording, Processing Power of Any DVR; Announces HopperGO for Offline Viewing of Recorded Content
    • 4K: Content partnerships for on demand viewing of 4K titles
    • Channel Conflict Eliminated: 16 tuners for improved DVR functionality across the whole home
    • Sports Bar Mode: Play four simultaneous, live HD channels on one 4K screen at home
    • YouTube: Integration of YouTube coming to Hopper 3
    • HopperGO: First personal mobile video drive for viewing of DVR-recorded content on the move
    • Netflix: Incorporated into Hopper universal search results
    LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network L.L.C. today unveiled Hopper 3 and HopperGO, each packed with industry firsts designed to change the way consumers find, record, stream, watch and transport content. The next generation of the company's whole-home DVR, Hopper 3, features 16 tuners, 4K content options including the proprietary "Sports Bar Mode," and integration of Netflix into its universal search results. The pocket-sized HopperGO wireless flash drive stores up to 100 hours of recorded content for offline viewing on smartphones and tablets.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160105006739/en/
    [​IMG]
    DISH Network L.L.C. today unveiled Hopper 3, the next generation of the company's whole-home DVR. Hopper 3 features 16 tuners, 4K content options including the proprietary "Sports Bar Mode," and integration of Netflix into its universal search results. (Photo: Business Wire)

"Today we are giving consumers even more choice and control over their viewing experience by introducing the most advanced DVR in the world, while also redefining the mobile viewing experience," said Vivek Khemka, DISH Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. "Hopper 3 is more than just a DVR; it's an entertainment hub that supports and centralizes the various content types popular today, like streaming apps and Ultra HD, while engineered to adapt with the trends on the horizon, like linear 4K."

Industry-leading 16 tuners create conflict-free TV experience
    Hopper 3 contains 16 tuners, more than any other DVR in the world. The expansion makes it easy for viewers to watch shows in multiple rooms, view live programs remotely via DISH Anywhere and set multiple recordings, all at the same time and without the need to manage conflicts or cancel timers.

"Consumers may not spend a lot of time thinking about how many tuners they have, but they do care about being able to watch and record all the shows they want to see when they want to see them," said Khemka. "Having 16 tuners enables us to give our customers a conflict-free viewing experience while also supporting advanced features like our new 4K Sports Bar Mode."

Sports Bar Mode, content partnerships maximize 4K experience
    DISH is the first pay-TV provider to offer the 4K Sports Bar Mode, a multi-channel view that divides the screen into quadrants, each with the ability to display a different program in 1080. The feature works by decoding any four different HD feeds and displaying them simultaneously.

To enrich customers' 4K experience even further, DISH is announcing agreements with Sony Pictures, The Orchard and Mance Media to deliver movies and other 4K content directly to the Hopper 3 and 4K Joey. At launch, customers with these boxes will be able to rent on demand popular Sony titles such as "The Amazing Spiderman," "American Hustle" and "Smurfs 2" in 4K.

"The affordability of 4K TVs has increased dramatically, and consumers are hungry for content and features that really showcase the picture and put the technology to work," said Khemka. "With Sports Bar Mode, we wanted to replicate the fan experience of enjoying several games simultaneously for the home, and combining this feature with our new content offerings gives viewers a rich 4K viewing experience unavailable elsewhere."

Netflix now integrated into Hopper search
    After becoming the first major U.S. pay-TV provider to integrate Netflix into a set-top box, DISH is taking the experience a step further by integrating Netflix into universal search results. With this new functionality, customers who search for a TV series will see a list that incorporates episodes from Netflix, DVR recordings, on demand options and future airings, depending on availability of each. Netflix 4K content will also be available for viewing on the Hopper 3 and 4K Joey, broadening the selection of Ultra HD content available to customers.

"The integration of Netflix titles into our search results is one more way we are making the Hopper a true entertainment hub, enabling viewers to easily find the programming they want to watch without having to run multiple searches across platforms," said Khemka.

Netflix inclusion in universal search will be available on both Hopper 2 and Hopper 3.

YouTube integration brings popular videos to the TV screen
    In the coming months, DISH will launch YouTube on Hopper 3, bringing viral videos and content from a new generation of entertainment stars to the TV screen via a set-top box. YouTube joins several Hopper apps and features that together bring a range of entertainment options to customers, including Netflix, Pandora, Vevo, The Weather Channel and Hopper Arcade.

"Our strategy with Hopper apps is tied to the variety of sources that consumers access for entertainment and information today, making the Hopper a one-stop source for popular content," said Khemka. "The addition of YouTube fits perfectly with this strategy, bringing the videos dominating the Internet today to customers' living rooms, all without the need to switch inputs or devices."

Enhanced processing, storage and connectivity to power the whole home experience
    Adding to the conflict-free viewing experience is Hopper 3's ability to support up to six Joeys simultaneously, powering a total of seven TVs at one time. The DVR is compatible with the standard Joey, Wireless Joey and the soon to be released 4K Joey. DISH is delivering enhanced connectivity options to drive the whole-home experience, including MoCA 2.0 and Gigabit Ethernet.

Hopper 3 is powered by the fastest set-top box processor available, the Broadcom 7445, a quad-core Arm processor, giving the new DVR seven times the speed of Hopper 2. It contains 2 TB of internal storage, enough to save up to 500 hours of HD content, more than any other pay-TV provider. Hopper 3 is the first DVR to use USB 3.0 connectivity for external storage expansion, which allows for transfer speeds ten times faster than USB 2.0. It features a sleek, modern UI/UX and is navigated using the Hopper Voice Remote. Hopper 3 will be available in early 2016.

HopperGO personal mobile video drive stores 100 hours of recorded content
    A pioneer in delivering true "TV anywhere," DISH has offered features like Hopper Transfers that give customers the ability to transfer recorded content to mobile devices for nearly a decade. Today the brand is announcing an even more revolutionary way to transfer, store and watch recorded content on the move, HopperGO. With HopperGO, every member of the family can take a favorite program with them on vacation.
    The HopperGO experience begins by connecting the compact, lightweight device to a Hopper 2 or Hopper 3 via USB. The connection both charges the HopperGO battery (for up to four hours of viewing) and enables users to move up to 100 hours of recorded content from the DVR to the device's 64 GB of flash memory.

HopperGO then creates a secure, private Wi-Fi cloud to play back different transferred shows on up to five devices at once, meaning several viewers can be watching a different show off HopperGO at the same time.

"We found that the biggest pain point for consumers in using our Hopper Transfers feature was running out of space to store movies and shows on their mobile devices," said Khemka. "When taking a trip, often you want to have several entertainment options, and HopperGO gives customers the ability to transport a variety of content for every member of the family, without having to worry about running out of storage."
    HopperGO will be available late Q1 for a one-time cost of $99. There are no monthly fees associated with using the device.

Technical Specs
    Hopper 3 is powered by a Broadcom BCM7445 quad-core ARM application processor at 1.5 GHz, 21K DMIPS. It contains a two TB hard drive for up to 500 hours of high-definition recording (or 2,000 hours of standard definition recording). For 4K viewing, the Hopper 3 can decode and output 60 FPS and 10-bit color. It supports H.264 and H.265 and is compatible with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It is the first DVR to support USB 3.0. Hopper 3 is compatible with HDR10/BDA 2.0 encoded streams.

HopperGO has 64 GB of flash memory and connects to Hopper 2 and Hopper 3 via a micro USB.

About the Hopper
    Introduced in 2012, the DISH Hopper provides whole-home capabilities and includes innovative technologies like the PrimeTime Anytime and AutoHop features, as well as an industry-leading 2 TB of storage. DISH introduced its Hopper 2 in 2013, adding Slingbox technology-driven DISH Anywhere functionality, making it possible for consumers to watch live and recorded content anywhere on Internet-connected tablets, smartphones and computers. The DISH Anywhere feature includes transfers, which makes remote viewing possible when no Internet connection is available. Hopper 3 is the most advanced version to date with 16 tuners, 4K integration, USB 3.0 compatibility, voice control and Netflix incorporated into search results. The Hopper is the center of the whole-home entertainment experience and connects to additional TVs via standard Joey, Wireless Joey and the soon to be released 4K Joey.

About DISH
    DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiaries, provides approximately 13.909 million pay-TV subscribers, as of Sept. 30, 2015, with the highest-quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. DISH offers a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Subscribe to DISH email alerts: http://about.dish.com/alerts
    Follow @DISHNews on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DISHNews

View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160105006739/en/
    Source: DISH Network Corp.

2. Jan 5, 2016 #2 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    16 tuners is quite impressive. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I haven't heard of anyone else even hinting at offering that many tuners. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is highly unlikely Dish will want to set customers up with more than one Hopper 3 install! I wonder... if they will be bringing PiP features to Joeys in the future, with this many tuners it becomes a more important thing to see that feature extended to the Joey as well.

I also wonder... about the "big 4" tuner sharing feature used in Primetime Anytime. I have to thing Primetime Anytime will be kept as a feature, or will it? With 16 tuners, maybe they will do away with that feature and you go back to the old way of setting timers for everything? It's a conspicuous thing to not mention so I'll be curious to see about that.

I had suggested to Dish a long time ago the possibility of doing a 4-up on HDTV setups... so cool to see that coming. Makes sense I suppose to wait for 4K support to do it, since on a 4K TV you'd get 4-up with each running a 1080p video. Not sure I'd use such a feature much at home, but it'd be a cool thing to setup. Maybe during some heavily active sports days it might get more use... on NFL Sundays you could have your FOX and CBS game up and the RedZone channel as well, + another channel for whatever... all at the same time!

3. Jan 5, 2016 #3 of 185
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I hope they dont do away with the PTAT feature. It would be a pain to set timers for all 4 networks every night. We dont watch everything in PTAT, but it is nice having it recorded in case we missed something new or didnt even know it was coming on.
    Plus they would upset the people without the hopper 3 if they took PTAT away from all models of the hopper. The big 4 on one tuner sure helps at certain times.

4. Jan 5, 2016 #4 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree... training customers to the "one stop shop" of PTAT would be a convenience tough to take back... It could be that it will still work as it does today, which means with 16 tuners you have the possibility of 19 actual unique simultaneously recorded channels.

I also saw no mention of OTA support... so wonder if it will continue to support the current USB OTA module or if they will be trying to steer away from that with all the SAT tuners built-in...

5. Jan 5, 2016 #5 of 185
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Funny, when I saw the number 16 I began to wonder if we could someday have 16 PTAT recorders recording 4 channels each on 16 transponders.

6. Jan 5, 2016 #6 of 185
    cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    I watched the CES Event webcast on CNET. From that and the other site I've gathered that PTAT will still just use 1 tuner, meaning 15 are available when it is active. It also has been stated that the existing OTA adapter will work

7. Jan 5, 2016 #7 of 185
    Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Wow! Now THIS sounds like an awesome product. :hurah:

With my viewing habits changing, ala I know longer watch NFL ticket, this would get me to switch over to dish. Be interesting when this will be released.

8. Jan 5, 2016 #8 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks for the additional info... So, theoretically... you could be recording your 4 LiL "big four" networks + 15 other SAT channels + 1 OTA channel all at the same time... while presumably watching something completely different already on the DVR! That's a huge jump in functionality from where we are right now.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jan 5, 2016 #9 of 185
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I do not see the PTAT shared tuner ending. Even if DISH negotiates away AutoHop, the shared tuner makes a lot of sense. The four major broadcast networks still air the top rated shows and usually do them at conflicting times with other broadcast network shows. There is no legal issue with the shared tuner ... so it should live on as long as the technology can handle the stream.

I want to see the shared tuner expanded in markets where other locals are on the same tuner as the big four ... recording the local CW or PBS feed without taking a second tuner would be nice.

15+PTAT ... can't wait until someone says that isn't enough tuners. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Jan 5, 2016 #10 of 185
    toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Dish still hasn't delivered what they promised last year so I wouldn't expect to see any of this for at least another year.

11. Jan 5, 2016 #11 of 185
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    So when the Hopper 3 is available this month you'll saute' that crow? :)

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

12. Jan 5, 2016 #12 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There's no reason for them to drop the feature, but at the same time IF they had a 16-tuner receiver previously I don't know if that feature would ever have been developed in the first place. I was hoping for it to stick around, but it wouldn't be the first time a new model receiver dropped an old/liked feature.

Assuming it is here to stay, though... I agree... I'd like to see other LiLs that are on the shared transponder be added to the queue where available. I watch several CW programs on a regular basis and there's quite a bit of PBS I would probably love to see if it were queued up for me every night... With 16-tuners I wouldn't be hurting for recording things BUT the automatic "catch it all" part of PTAT is what would be attractive to me, making me more apt to try out shows I otherwise might choose to ignore when setting my own timers.

13. Jan 5, 2016 #13 of 185
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What did they promise last year but not deliver? I'm not being snarky, I seriously can't think of anything off the top of my head that was announced but didn't happen.

14. Jan 5, 2016 #14 of 185
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But James, I remember back quite some time ago when you suggested a method where Dish could add any number of tuners as technology could supply. Except it involved two cable runs to such a future Hopper to supply all six DPP frequency blocks from a 1000.x dish.

You also said "sorry" for the international channel service, as they wouldn't fit. So given that, I'm really interested in how or if Dish can maintain a single cable feed for the Hopper 3 to supply 16 tuners with the conventional stacking of whole 500 MHz frequency blocks Dish uses.

Great looking product so far otherwise though. ..

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

15. Jan 5, 2016 #15 of 185
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am not expecting a single cable to the Hopper 3. I am expecting two cables carrying all the polarities needed (the caveat being international channels on 118). Unless DISH pulls some SWM like magic.

16. Jan 6, 2016 #16 of 185
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    No change in the hard drive size. Same hours of storage (ie: HD vs SD). Except for UHD, wouldn't that make UHD storage about 125 hours? Seems a bit small.

Gack, same crappy color depth. So much for dark or underwater scenes looking good.

17. Jan 6, 2016 #17 of 185
    aeontech

aeontech New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    During the retailer chat they did suggest not keeping many Hopper with Slings in stock as something new was going to be announced at CES 2016. I would expect this to be coming soon and will update you when I am able to order them as a Authorized Retailer.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jan 6, 2016 #18 of 185
    aeontech

aeontech New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Even the Hopper and Hopper with Sling required 2 cables from the LNB to the Solo Node then 1 to the hopper. New Hybrid LNBs only require 1 cable to LNB to the Solo Hub. Wiring details have not been released yet for Hopper 3 but it may require more than 1 wire to LNB. I would expect it to take advantage or even require the new Hybrid LNB. Looks like Super Joey can now be eliminated with 16 Tuners in the Hopper 3, who needs the extra 2 in the Super Joey.

19. Jan 6, 2016 #19 of 185
    aeontech

aeontech New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Probably the 4k Joey. It was announced at CES 2015 but I have never seen where we can order them. They probably wanted to hold them for release with the Hopper 3.

20. Jan 6, 2016 #20 of 185
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ... that's what I'm hearing over at Satelliteguys.us. According to Dish CTO Vivek Khemka, the Hopper 3 will exclusively use the hybrid LNBF, nodes, and taps.

Sorry for my post earlier, but wasn't aware of this new DPH LNBF and accessories.

Been a DIRECTV sub. all my life ...

Now if I can only find a technical explanation for how it actually works beyond just the wiring diagrams I'm encountering for it so far.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk