1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish vs D* VOD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BubblePuppy, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Does Dish offer VOD via sat or Internet?

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
  3. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    The last post is a bit out of date. The answer is, both.

VOD #1 is preloaded content that comes via satellite. It gets stored in a separate disk partition (at least, a logical partition) and doesn't take space from your normal storage. Of course, if they didn't reserve the VOD space, it would be avaliable.

VOD #2 just went live. It's like TiVo does; you select what you want to see and it's downloaded over the internet connection. I haven't tried this one yet, so I don't know how much it has to buffer before you can start watching your selection.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Has anyone used both Dish On Demand and DIRECTV On Demand to compare both?

5. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Did I miss something? I wasn't aware that Dish had launched Internet VOD.

6. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    My understanding is all of the Dish VOD content will cost something, PPV style

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It's apparently in a slow rollout.

8. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    I believe it is only movies and they cost $4.99 each.

9. code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    My folks have it, and they got a couple of early fall premier NBC shows for free but everything else is PPV.

10. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    There is actually three type of Video on demand..... Dish On Demand, TV Entertainment, and Dish Online.

Dish on Demand is a subset of movies that download via Sat and can then be selected and viewed immediately.

Dish Online is selecting a movie and having it download. After download the movie can be viewed. Prices vary and this just started to roll out and is in its early stages and one could expect expanded functionality if you take a look at Dishonline.com

The Entertainment and more is where the free stuff shows up. This is controlled by Dish and it shows up when it shows up. I watched the pilot of Chuck on it before Chuck aired. A few interesting things show up but I wish more did.

At this point... like others have said. It is in slow rollout and I would give it some time before making a comparison.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The DishOnline.com website really confused me. It just looked like a bunch of links to other websites.

12. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    This is the kind of stuff I wish (hope?) D* DOD has. I couldn't care less about seeing repeats of Aly and AJ or Matchmaker.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I have tried DISHonline and it sucks at present. Most movies are old and out of date and range from 2.99 -4.99 . I tried to download a 5 year old movie for 4.99 and it timed out after 66% downloaded. We missed the ending and I got the $4.99 charge. NO free stuff at all. I won't be using this feature at present till I see some changes in reliability and in selection. I wan't free vod that goes with my selection of programming. You know if you sub to Hbo you get video on demand from that premium .

14. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I think we are speaking of free ondemand now in relation to VOD, not PPV. Like what Comcast offers, they have PPV and InDemand which is free in HD/SD. I'm assuming since DirecTV offers the VOD for free via internet with HR20/21 with CE firmware updates, I haven't researched whether Dish Network offers today the same.

15. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    So if Dish can provide DOD via sat. why can't D*..I'm just asking on behalf of those vewiers that haven't a clue about connecting D* via the internet.
    Please remember that a lot of D* user's don't have the internet knowledge that we have. This service should be available to all and easy to have.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The DISH subscriber specific features require a special login. For those without linked accounts, it is little more than a jump-off point to other DISH sponsored pay services.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Satellite delivered VOD from D* was announced back in 2004. It just isn't ready yet (kind of like the R15 that was designed to use it).

It is important to note that satellite delivered VOD is really just another form of PPV and for those who have it with DISH, it is a rarely explored option.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    D* sort of does that now, look in the Showcases section, D* been pushing out content, just not movies yet.

You're taking about two types of "on demand" programming, stuff that D* (or E* for that matter) think you'll want to watch and watch which will be pushed via satellite to their private partition vs. you decide on what you want to view and that get's download when you want to view it.

19. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    It is a waste of money. Since you need a DVR to get it why not just record the Pay Per View movie and watch it when you want. This way it only cast $3.99. VOD on Dish costs $4.99 for the same movie and it is automatically deleted 24 hrs. after you start to watch it.

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's a terrible design. With DirecTV, you don't get charged until you watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.