1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish vs FIOS

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by srickard, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srickard

srickard Cool Member

May 11, 2005
    I recently had FIOS TV installed with Motorola QIP6416 DVR. I have had Dish since 1997. I have a 942 DVR. Here are my initial obseravions on relative quality between Dish and FIOS.

SD picture quality - FIOS wins hands down.

HDTV picture quality - both DISH and FIOS are excelent. HDTV locals are better off-the-air but not by much.

HDTV selection - I give the edge to FIOS but that is my personal preference. FIOS has about 25 HD channels, similar to Dish.

DVR - The Dish 942 is a much superior DVR.

Program Guide - advantage to Dish.

Remote - I use a Harmony 880 for both and it is great.

Monthly cost - My FIOS plan is similar to my dish America's Everthing + Voom pack but it is $30 a month less expensive. My upfront costs for equipment was zero.

After being a loyal Dish customer for all these years I switched to FIOS because of cost and its very high bandwidth for future HD. (Actually, I have placed a hold on my Dish account for $5 per month in case I have buyer's remorse in a couple of months.)

FIOS is a Verizon product with fibre optic all the way to my house. It includes Internet, phone, and TV on the pipe.

Steve

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    FIOS looks like it could be attractive, especially if they improve on the HD-DVR functionality... but it isn't available in my area yet so I can't even consider a trial run.

I would be interested in trying if it ever becomes available though.

3. Taha24

Taha24 AllStar

Jun 15, 2006
    I really want FIOS to come to my area, especially for internet.

Anyways, this is offtopic but I saw you mention the Harmony 880 and I had a question about that.

I have that too and the one problem i've noticed with the Vip622 is that the Harmony is too sensitive. like if I hold the info button for a little bit, it sends the signal multiple times that the info will open up, darken up, and then even go away. And in the guide button a lot of times I press say up or down, and it'll move two spaces instead of one. Have you noticed anything like this?

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    It may be that much cheaper now but you have to wonder if it can stay that way. Personally, I don't trust the phone companies (and I worked for one for over 30 years) with their low-ball priced FiOS initial offerings. It is costing them a TON of money to wire for the new services. Stock holders are not going to allow them to invest millions and lose money for long periods of time (and FiOS WILL loose money, at least for the next few years).

5. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004

I, too, recently signed up for FiOS. I agree with all your assesments. I was pissed, though, that when they installed the FiOS TV, they also put my phone lines on it, instaed of the copper lines. So I lost my AOL DSL abilities. I do not want Verizon FiOS internet, and am having a hell of a time trying to get them to reconnect my copper phone line. Also, I have heard, that if you have a major power loss (ice storm, cut fiber, etc) you will lose all telephone capabilities. That includes 911, and security system. So, if your power is off more than several hours, you have no phone service at all.

Tom in TX

6. srickard

srickard Cool Member

May 11, 2005
    I have had no problems whatsoever with the 880 control with my 942, nor with th 6416. I believe, however, that you can adjust IR timing on the control. I used a Pronto for many years but my wife hated it - no tactile feedback. She loves the 880. You know what they say: "If the wife aint happy, nobody's happy". :grin:

Steve

7. srickard

srickard Cool Member

May 11, 2005
    Why on earth would you not want FIOS internet? I have had it for a year and a half and love it. FIOS, without question, blows away any other residential internet service. Reliable, very fast, inexpensive, especially considering the price. No offense, but the fact tha AOL is not available is a major plus. Since my occupation is with computers and networks may give me a different slant on things. Not necessarily better, but different.

Steve

8. srickard

srickard Cool Member

May 11, 2005
    Bill, I share some of your misgivings. Verizon is spending billions on the fibre infrastructure. But how much do you think Echostar spent on its infrastructure? Those satellites are not cheap. In my mind, the big unknown is the cost of programming. The programmers seem to be the greedy ones.

Steve

9. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Your assessment is correct. A long-term power outage will result in loss of fiber phone service. For non-FIOS folks, a back-up battery at the customer premises powers things for a few hours. I have Verizon fiber for Internet and phone, but haven't had a long-term outage.

My understanding is that Verizon will honor a request to keep phone lines on copper before FIOS installation. Returning to copper is not supposed to be an option.

10. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004

Correct . They put a decent battery backup on the ONS box but it only lasts 4-6 hours (according to the Verizon installer). Smartly, when the power goes out if you've got FIOS Internet you lose that immediately which drops the power consumption way down to keep the phone service on a lot longer.

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As I was reading this... Isn't this like if the Dish satellite guys come out to install your Dish, and then they go dig up your cable coax and take it away without you asking?

Why on earth would Verizon (or anyone else) have the right to just take away the copper lines without you specifically asking?

For that matter... are they even Verizon's to take away? In my area BellSouth ran all the copper to the houses... so if Verizon ever comes into the area to run fiber optic, they most certainly would NOT have the right to rip out BellSouth's copper lines while doing so.

12. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Prior to my installation, I received an order confirmation that included the items in the attached photo.

Attached Files:

13. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the phone companies sell this at cost just as a stop gap measure to prevent customers from taking their land lines to the cable co's or cell phones. I'd suspect that you'd start to see offerings that are close to pricing for dish/direct packages, but if you bundle with phone and internet you get a discount... to help keep customers from defecting.

14. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    If you're in BellSouth territory, Verizon won't be bringing FIOS to you. BellSouth would be the company to provide your FIOS and it may or may not choose the option of carrying phone calls on the fiber. I expect it would want to eliminate the additional expense of maintaining the copper path, though, just like Verizon.

15. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    I never received any such notice. In fact, I still, to this day, have not signed ANYTHING regarding my order or insatllation. As the installer was leaving, I asked him if I was supposed to sign something, and he said "No".
    The notice you reference is in regards to an internet installation. They never came in to do anything with my computer. All I wanted was FiOS TV.

Tom in TX

16. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Whay on Earth do some people like red cars, and some like blue?
    I happen to be satisfied with AOL Broadband. It's under $30 bucks a month, they furnished the modem/router, I'm comfortable with it, and it's plenty fast for me and my family, and my kids can use it at the same time at college.
    I am just pissed that Verizon wouldn't inform me that they were putting my DSL out of commission.

Tom in TX

17. srickard

srickard Cool Member

May 11, 2005
    I have a larger UPS that the Verizon UPS is plugged into. I can maintain internet & phone service for about 24 hours. Remember that a power outage will also disable any powered phones (cordless, etc) regardless of FIOS remaining up. Since we built our house in 2002, we have not had a power outage of more than a few minutes. Lucky, I guess. :)

18. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I have a Harmony 680 that I used to control two 508's connected to the same TV and now to a 942, I believe that both the IR pulse rate and number of repititions can be adjusted, IIRC. Calling Logitech on hte phone will provide the needed help.

19. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Tom,

No disagreement, but in my case it is perfect. The base plan for Fios offers download speeds of up to 5mbps, with an upload speed of 2mbps. Costs me $34.95. It has a battery backup for the phone and a good plan on the phone when combined with Internet Service. Verizon has just brought suit against my County in Maryland in order to get permission to provide Fios TV service.

So far it has been 100% reliable.

20. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In that case... I would probably be ok with it since I use BellSouth as an ISP anyway... but it still seems like they would need to ask before completely disconnecting the copper unless, as a company directive, they made an announcement that they were going to phase out the copper.

It'll probably be a while before I can make that kind of choice though, so plenty of time to think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.