Dish vs. Tribune - Here we go again!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by david91722, Aug 10, 2019.

1. david91722

david91722 Cool Member

Oct 10, 2010
    It's been 3 years since the last carriage dispute. Tribune-owned stations were blacked out for several weeks, if memory serves. Round 2 may be just around the corner.

from dishpromise.com:
    Tribune Broadcasting Co., the Owner of Your Local Station
    We have accepted Tribune Broadcasting Company’s offer to extend the agreement for their stations in order to continue to negotiate. We do not understand why Tribune is threatening to blackout their stations at this point. Periodically, DISH and its channel owners negotiate deals so that we may offer you high-quality content at a fair value. We are working to not only reach an agreement, but a long-term agreement for our customers.

2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I sure hope the gov. will step in and stop this nonsense in time. It hurts the subscriber. If the rates for locals keep going up, many will no longer sub to them. The owners of these stations are shooting themselves in the foot, as there is a limit on what people will pay. Add to that, people are sick of these disputes as they want more and more. Maybe what needs to be done is to boycott the network stations. If they have a lot less ratings, they will not have the revenue.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    For better or worse - the Channel 3 Info channel is now gone from my EPG (Tribune channel is WDAF Fox 4 in KC). Western Arc.

4. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Maybe someone got trigger happy at Tribune after seeing what happened over at their new corporate overlords when Nexstar stations were pulled from DirecTV and there were no crawls on the channels before they were blacked out lol. Although I will admit this would look extremely bad on Nexstar & Tribune if they happen to be in a blackout with both DirecTV & Dish at the same time.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
  6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Evidently they reached a deal as I just checked dishpromise.com and it now says that there are no disputes in my area. Being in New Orleans , I previously got the dispute message for my ABC and CW.

7. david91722

david91722 Cool Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Same here. No disputes here in Los Angeles. Either they reached a new deal or negotiated an extension. Anyone know what happened?

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I saw one crawl on WJW Fox 8 Cleveland a few day ago. Noting more after that, so hopefully all is good.

If there was a blackout I would not be affected, as I live less than a mile from the transmitter.

9. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Its best they reach an independent agreement while they can with Tribune. According to AT&T one of their sticking points with Nexstar is they are trying to go ahead and lump the Tribune stations in AT&T's new agreement if the merger goes through.