DISH vs VIACOM

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Apr 19, 2016.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Viacom Channels — What's Happening?

We regret that Viacom has chosen to involve customers in a business negotiation when time remains to reach an agreement. Viacom unilaterally elected to terminate an indefinite contract extension despite meaningful progress on a new agreement that confronts a rapidly evolving pay-TV environment. Viacom is asking for hundreds of millions of dollars in increases, despite the changing landscape that includes drastically reduced viewership of Viacom channels and wide availability of their content across multiple platforms, frustrating consumers who don't want to pay twice for the same content. DISH will continue to negotiate in good faith to reach an agreement that works for both sides.

http://dishpromise.com/

DISH IS ABOUT TO DROP 18 VIACOM CHANNELS

We are extremely disappointed that DISH has not engaged in a serious way to reach an agreement for Viacom’s number one family of cable networks, including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, VH1, MTV, BET, Spike, TV Land and CMT. This is par for the course for DISH, which has deliberately derailed ten renewal negotiations since last year by engaging in unproductive discussions and contentious public battles. Viacom has made every effort to negotiate a renewal for DISH subscribers, including granting multiple extensions. We have offered DISH a best-in-class deal at rates and terms as good as larger distributors, with additional services and features for their customers. In turn, DISH has made demands that are designed to be impossible to meet in order to take our negotiations public and likely force our programming off the air. This is a clear example of DISH’s disregard for their customers, who will be subjected to another unnecessary disruption in service. In addition to depriving our fans of our networks and programming, DISH is further undermining their fundamentally disadvantaged business by driving their subscribers to switch to a different provider.

http://www.keepviacom.com/

VIACOM is running banners on their channels. DISH is preparing to place banners on the removed channels.

Nickelodeon
    Nick Jr.
    Nicktoons
    TeenNick
    MTV
    MTV2
    VH1
    VH1 Classic
    Black Entertainment Television
    Comedy Central
    TV Land
    Country Music Television
    Spike TV
    MTV Live
    Centric
    MTV Tr3s

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Here we go.... yet again. Please explain why I am footing for a nasty and bitter fight between the two entities like I did during the DirecTV dispute.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I hope dish never brings them back. Then everyone else can do the same as their contracts come up and we can see less bill crepe for a little while.

It's going to happen to someone. Viacom is the best to kill. Then others will start asking for less or be more prudent in what they offer and how.

1 person likes this.
  4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Sometimes I think we should just go back to the 3 network days. It was easier and a heck of a lot cheaper! Dish seems to have a lot more trouble than the other providers. This is a constant war. Charter Cable doesn't seem to have to deal with this and even Direct TV doesn't have nearly the number of issues, Dish has.

5. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    You do know that CableONE all ready dump Viacom a few years back so if other follwo suit it well a BIG HURTING on Viacom incoming cash flow

1 person likes this.
  6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV lost Viacom channels in 2012.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/11/3150838/directv-loses-17-viacom-channels-after-contract-dispute

Perhaps Viacom can reuse the commercial scripts and edit in the DISH logo. :)

(The Viacom channels were off of DIRECTV for nine days.)

Here is another story about the 2012 dispute:
    http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/directv-and-viacom-settle-dispute-over-fees-restoring-service/

It seems that some of the complaints are the same. Viacom asking for more money from providers paying to carry their content (and their subscribers) while providing content for free or other subscription via websites. DISH refers to this as charging customers twice for content.

I wonder how much of Viacom's online content will disappear during the outage as it did in 2012?

7. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    Let's see, things looked bright for both side then March happened.

In March alone, Dish enter a dispute with NBCUniversal/Comcast, then Media General, then Cox Communication. They also just had a stalemate with INSP which resulted in the temporary removal of it. During this time, Dish had more worry with those companies and the fact NBCUniversal threaten to remove channels and fail to noticed that they ignored what the DOJ/FCC said and that they must have to go into arbitration with any provider when the NBCUniversal contract expires.

during March, either negotiations broke down between them or Dish forgot about Viacom while they were busy with NBCUniversal. So blame all those companies for this.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

8. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Outside of losing those Spongebob Squarepants episodes on various Nickelodeon networks as well as Rugrats and The Angry Beavers reruns on TeenNick, no really sad loss.

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Except for the old re-runs on Logo, I almost never watch any of the Viacom channels. Add to the list the dispute had over regional News channel, NWCN here in the NW. They never did solve that one.seems they wanted the same amount that they get for their network stations (KGW/KING) and Dish said it is not worth it. So the channel was dropped. It is funny that all of these companies are willing to be dropped from the carrier rather than drop the price they want. You know, if all of the carriers got together, they could really put the squeeze on the programmers. But that probably will never happen. In all of the cases, the viewer is the one that loses. We lose the channel(s) while our bill stays the same. How long did Direct lose the channels in 2012?

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Know how *I* found out about the potential to lose Viacom channels on Dish?

Words with Friends.

Seriously... in between turns on the iPad game, you get random advertisements... and this evening, after one turn, I got the Viacom commercial saying Dish was about to turn off their channels.

So... they are spending money to advertise to people playing an app/game... money that IF they saved it, they wouldn't need to ask for as much money as they probably want from Dish.

The nieces/nephews will hate to lose Nick Jr... but I won't notice anything else gone missing if this happens.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The worst part is that any outage will be brief. Viacom doesn't want to be off of DISH (and lose millions of subscribers that they sell to advertisiers). DISH doesn't want to lose Viacom. Both just want what each considers a "fair deal". The relationship is too important for any separation to be permanent.

Smaller channels may not return ... but Viacom? At the end of the argument both sides need a deal.

12. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    http://www.keepviacom.com/get-facts

Noticed my DISH bill went up. I liked this get-facts site saying sports channels raised DISH bill, not Viacom. I dropped the multi-sports package 2 years ago, so I have to question again , why did my DISH bill go up?

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Why did the bill go up? Every time the contract's get renewed, you can bet, there is always an increase. We get a ton of sports channels in the AT250, ESPN is one of the most expensive. Too bad the sports channels could all be put into a separate package, but the outfits would never allow it.

14. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I won't miss Viacom. Let them disappear from Dish.

15. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I saw this while watching The Daily Show and the Nightly Show. Comedy Central is the only one of those channels that I ever watch. Even so I can survive without Comedy Central on Dish. Viacom is selling us viewers to their advertisers and charging Dish for the privilege. I think Dish should play hardball here.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I find the below comment laughable. Viacom blocks my ISP because they refuse to carry their channels on their cable lineup. All while I pay Viacom every single month through my TV provider which is DirecTV. Seems to me that Viacom has some disregard for their customers as well. They dont care if you already pay them, they will still block your ability to stream from their site and Hulu if you have an ISP that previously dropped their TV stations. That is just disgusting. Viacom makes me sick. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This is a clear example of DISH’s disregard for their customers, who will be subjected to another unnecessary disruption in service. In addition to depriving our fans of our networks and programming,

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Viacom's "get facts" site would be an opinion of what they believe the facts are. They cannot speak for DISH. I appreciate that Viacom mentions that DISH is currently paying less than other providers. It shows that DISH's "hard line" pays off.

The problem with prices is that every channel owner wants to go up ... Viacom wants more and they are not a sports distributor. Other non-sports distributors expect their payments to go up. Asking for more money is not limited to sports channels.

There are also costs outside of the fees paid to the channels. If you never want to see a price increase again consider that no one at DISH (call center, installers, etc) would ever get a raise again. And DISH's cost for electricity, transmission equipment and maintenance would need to stay flat.

So even without sports there will be some price increases.

18. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    Say James shouldn't that be
    BET: Black Entertainment Television
    Centric
    Comedy Central
    CMT: Country Music Television
    Logo
    MTV
    MTV2
    MTV Live
    TeenNick
    Nickelodeon
    Nick Jr.
    Nicktoons
    Spike TV
    TeenNick
    Tr3s
    TV Land
    VH1
    VH1 Classic

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This is also how we have stores like Wal-Mart in the US. Wal-Mart can bankrupt alot of companies if they dont agree to their demands. Makes me want someone to stand up to them and hit it where it hurts. Viacom didnt feel the hurt when CableOne didnt resign. Someone like Dish would make more of an impact. Would be better if Dish didnt come to an agreement and then another provider in the near future did the same.

I am all for TV but these stations and their owners need brough down a peg or to. The negotiating table is not fair game. Even with viewership declining, they want more money. James hit the nail on the head. If the stations go dark, Viacom is known for taking down alot of streaming content from their sites. Also they block anyone who is with an internet company that refused to carry their TV stations on the TV side of the business.

Not sure how anyone strongarms someone like that and then has enough nerve to encourage someone to just change providers to pay someone else. In the end I can tell you Viacom only cares about your money. They prove it with me every month. I have been with DirecTV since 2008 and have always had a package that has Viacom channels in it. I now am not able to stream any content from Viacoms webpages or from Hulu purely because my internet provider is blacklisted.

Grow up or go out of business. I dont even care for Dish but think they are a good fit for alot of people (especially non sports lovers). I am always happy to read when someone is holding the line with these big companies. I have never changed providers for one of these things. Viacom needs dropped down about 2 pegs.

All this reminds me of when there are hearings about the DNS feeds being renewed and the NAB has a rep there that acts like these disruptions of service with stations are few and far between, have no impact on the customer and that the playing field is level. I assure you it is NOT! The NAB makes me sick. The greed of these companies is what is pushing more people to cut the cord. The current TV model is in trouble. It will come to a head one of these days. One of these companies will fall or be the example.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think it's more likely they are paying less because they are the last ones to reup (and maybe don't carry as many of their channels. Do they carry mtv live? ) and have been running on month to month for a long time... And that's import at because I'll bet that Viacom is asking for a huge increase that would then leave them paying more than everyone else. And I also doubt Viacom is comparing apples to apples in their dish pays less statements. I mean it's Viacom. They spew nothing but lies from their marketing department when in disputes. I'm still sad DIRECTV ever let them back in.