DishAnywhere On Demand vs. DVR On Demand stupidity

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by robo45h, Mar 17, 2019.

1. robo45h

robo45h Cool Member

Jul 7, 2003
    I've been a Dish customer since like forever. Presently have a 722k because of the four receivers (two satellite, two digital over the air). It's a Unicorn. But I digress.

Here's a typical scenario that drives me insane these days. A friend mentions a TV series to watch. I go to DishAnywhere.com and search for it. Sometimes it's on a channel I don't subscribe to (sucks). But other times, I smell success -- it shows up and I can record future episodes. But of course I want to watch the previous episodes first! And look at this -- they're available to watch On Demand! Except, inexplicably, only on my laptop or phone or tablet. Now, my Dish DVR is connected to my surround sound audio system and large screen TV. I'd prefer to watch it there. Can I just (like any other modern website) click on a link on Dishanywhere.com to add it to my "watchlist" on my DVR? No.

Instead, I fire up the antique user interface of the 722k and navigate to search for on demand shows. The user interface sucks. I have to search by either using the arrow keys to click on letters on an on-screen keyboard, or have to use the unreliable T9 interface. Eventually, though, I manage to enter the TV show name (a second time, since I typed it into DishAnywhere.com years ago). And it's not there. It's available on DishAnywhere.com On Demand but NOT on the DVR On Demand (for which I pay a ton of money).

Result? I use my audio / video system setup and head over to Hulu or Vudu and watch it there.

WTF? Two different On Demand offerings is just so confusing (and that's not counting the separate "Video On Demand" for fee offering). And all the stuff I want is on the DishAnywhere On Demand -- where I don't want it. And there's no DishAnywhere app for my Sony DVD player where I stream things, so instead I stream the very same stuff on Hulu or Vudu. So why am I paying for Dish? And they all have commercials. So again, no reason to pay for Dish.

Can anyone explain this mess?

So many people are cutting the cable; I'm about to cut the satellite feed. Because what I really want is On Demand and they offer On Demand but they've managed to screw it up royally. Am I missing something or is Dish really this messed up?

2. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have a vip211k that does not have the streaming option, so I bought a Firestick that has the Dish Anywhere app. Since it is all on Demand, if I sub to the channel, which they all show. If I do not sub to that channel, they are either locked with the Icon, or do not show. If the channel is there, the movie or TV Show is there. However, like TCM, just because they run a movie live on the channel, doesn't mean they always show up on Demand. But it works most of the time. If you have High Speed, which sounds like you do as you get Dish on Demand, you might look at getting the Firestick and see how they compare.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hopper w/Sling is three satellite receivers plus two OTA. That would be the modern stallion to replace your unicorn. With Sling means you can also view what is on your home DVR while outside of your home (if desired and your Internet is sufficient).

The 622/722 series is OLD. Have some reasonable expectations as to what a design from more than a decade ago can do.

NYDutch likes this.
  4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    As with many companies, older equipment is not considered when newer software and capabilities are considered. A Hopper 3 would solve your On Demand issue. I don't know how many OTA inputs there are but it has 16 receivers for recording and the On Demand is simple to use and available via the app too. The 722k is rather old and I'm sure DISH would love for you to get rid of it.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Older receivers are considered ... DISH is still writing code for the Hopper 2000. But the older receivers come with (at best) the best hardware and processors available before the first receiver of that model was introduced. Occasionally a later version of the receiver will have more resources without a model name change, but usually the model name changes so DISH can differentiate between the receivers. Especially when writing code that won't work on the older model.

The 722 series is the best hardware available over a decade ago. There is only so much that can be done. Research and development needs to focus on the more current models, such as the 2012 released Hopper 2000. DISH may be able to push the new "carbon" UI to the 722 via a software update, but they won't be able to update the processor to one fast enough to run "carbon" via software update.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    There's complaints on the older versions of the Hoppers about running the "Carbon" UI. I don't want to think about the 722 series trying to run it.