1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DishHD Absolute with Locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by nKeith, Oct 31, 2008.

1. nKeith

nKeith Mentor

Apr 20, 2008
    I'm currently subscribed to Dish Absolute with Locals ($34.99). However, I find that the Dish website has absolutely nothing to say about this package. Searches for information that once existed appear to lead only to purged URLs!

Will I be allowed to continue with this package? Time limited?

When I subscribed to this package, I understood from the Dish representative that it would contain all then-current HD programming as well as new HD programming added in the future. Does this continue to represent the nature of my subscription?

Is there any current package from Dish that comes close to offering anything similar to Dish Absolute with Locals?

Keith

2. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    The package is good through Feb, when existing customers become eligible for the HD Turbo packages.

3. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    And most likely we pay more.:(

4. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Legend

Feb 12, 2008
    anything official, i.e. link? I was hoping we would be grandfathered, maybe stop getting new HD channels at the worst case

5. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    I don't have anything official to link you to, but what's going on is this. Through Feb 1, 2009, HD Absolute subscribers will receive any new HD channels that become available nationally (RSN's excluded). After that, not sure what will happen. Most likely we'll be able to keep the Absolute package, but won't get new HD channels after that. But its possible it may just be discontinued.

6. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Legend

Feb 12, 2008
    thanks

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If history is the model, the HD absolute package will continue for an un determinite time, because Dish cannot change your contract. They can change programming and eventually force you off Absolute, but if you are stubborn and refuse to make any changes in your accourt, they have to honor your status.

Up until the MPEG-2 receivers are obsoleted, there are still people who have the $10 original HD package, who knows how many years it has been around and grandfathered.

Don't be so quick to pontificate about Dish's ability to move you to another plan with no evidence either in print or in history to support your assumptions.

8. biz

biz AllStar

Jul 30, 2004
    I switched to Dishd HD Absolute on July 31? the last day you could.

Haven't seen a new HD channel since. (as I recall)

cept for the Obama channel. ....

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Neither have the rest of us ... :(

10. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Just local HD channels have been added since 7/31/08.

11. geoff

geoff AllStar

Jan 3, 2004
    This weekend I noticed that I'm now getting WGN in HD (I'm in Atlanta)

Geoff

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    WGN Superstation (ch 239) has been in HD for several months.