1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DishONLINE.com begining Aug. 24th

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cloudy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cloudy

cloudy Cool Member

Aug 15, 2010
  2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's already two or three threads on this subject.

3. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Just recieved this notice. Probably not big news to some but sounds pretty good to me.

August 23, 2010

DISH Network is thrilled to introduce the www.DISHOnline.com website, which will be available August 24, 2010 to all DISH Network customers using their www.dishnetwork.com online account login and password! The latest addition to our TV Everywhere™ line of products, DISHOnline.com offers DISH Network customers access to their favorite TV shows and movies through free streaming video, video content available to DISH Network subscribers who subscribe to certain programming packages, and On Demand movie rentals, with DISH Remote Access and Sling integration!

Watch. Record. Rent. DISHOnline.com puts multiple viewing options at your fingertips! For example, search for “Alec Baldwin” to see upcoming airings of 30 Rock you can record to your DVR, watch clips of his latest appearance on
    The Late Show, or rent It’s Complicated and automatically download it to your compatible receiver.

Visit the site today to check out all DISHOnline.com has to offer and encourage your customers to log on! There are currently hundreds of TV shows and thousands of movies to enjoy – and we will continue to add even more content
    and providers in the future!

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Make that 4 or 5. I'm guilty of blindly adding another:dozey:

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Charlie noted it on the chat tonight and played a preview video. Looks good.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Anyone know if they've made an arrangement with Comcast, my ISP, not to charge that usage against my usage limit?:sure:

7. Frodo301

Frodo301 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I received an invite for a beta phase for this service through dish about 4 months ago. Since I also have Comcast as my ISP and my family uses Netfix constantly for streaming movies and shows I was concerned of hitting my download limit as well. Up to today with a playstation 3, Wii, 722 and four computers in which at least one or two are almost constantly connected and streaming something (I have 5 kids) I have yet to hit the download limitation. Called Comcast just to be sure last month and they indicated that as of this moment I was no where close. Don't know how I got included in the beta though, came as a surprise when I opened the email from dish.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Doesn't this fly in the face of Google TV? This is easier and cheaper it seems to me.

10. Grantmobile

Grantmobile Cool Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I'm confused, is this Dishonline for watching content on the computer or can I hook my VIP612 DVR or VIP211k's up to my broadband and watch content on my TV?

Or both?

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Computer only.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It says still in beta. Hmm..

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've been fiddling around today at dishonline.com. Not bad as a first attempt, but the video quality is all over the place. I've tested on my 27" iMac and my Dell Hybrid HTPC connected to my big screen.

Most of the 'shows' are linked over to Hulu. For me, the video at Hulu is very second rate compared to Amazon and Netflix streams. Jerky and poor PQ.

OTOH, the movies from Epix, while not being HD, are pretty good. Smooth video, and overall a good picture for SD. I didn't test any other movies on other channels.

Unfortunately for me, the best use of this would be with my iPad for late night viewing in my bed. But it is a flash site and won't work with the iPad. Alternative is a slingbox and the iPhone app, which seems a bit expensive for such limited use. And I don't know how well the iPhone sling app works on the iPad.

14. cloudy

cloudy Cool Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm actually wondering if this is being introduced not only as an attempt to compete with Netflix or Hulu, but Also perhaps this is a second attempt at Remote access, seeing as though the say you can watch live and recorded shows from your 922 using dishonline.com

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not hip yet on this latest thing... but wondering/hoping it would also be integrated into their mobile Sling app so that you could watch the content on mobile devices like the iPhone/iPad.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is a different application - running on the set top box to access the Internet. DishONLINE runs on the internet to access your set top box and content that you could have recorded based on your subscription.

Computer viewing. Some have computers connected to their TVs. DishONLINE will also allow you to order content that will be delivered to their DVRs. Better than their current receiver menu system (especially on the 622).

I wouldn't say "compete". DISH wants to become your media source. They are simply packaging the content for internet delivery with the option of "something on my DVR" thrown in. The ability to send things to your DVR for later viewing is good.

One of the things I didn't like about the set top DishONLINE was the speed of download. I pay enough for broadband and am not going to double my broadband bill to get more TV content (which I pay enough for). When I've used DishONLINE I picked out a movie, ordered it then consumed my TV watching time watching other content while I waited for it to download. Often I have forgotten I downloaded it and found it days later. This new interface will allow me to "order" a movie when away from the TV and hopefully remember it when I get to the TV (and before I start watching other content).

As long as most of it is free it does no harm. And from my poking around it appears to make it very clear when something is not free. There are even buttons to select free content.

17. cloudy

cloudy Cool Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Well it seems to work for me with my 922.
    But only if I use Firefox.
    Won't work for me with Chrome at all.
    And only works a little bit with IE8 (but only line tv. won't even see my 922).

18. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    Would anyone care to unscramble my brain regarding DOL.....

I have set up recording timers via DN's Remote Access [or whatever it's called].
    My pc is not on any way connected to my 722...I have a wireless gateway/modem. My 722 is connected to a phone line.
    That being said, will I be able to access DOL ?

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You will be able to access DishONLINE on your computer.
    If your 722 is not connected to broadband you will not be able to send online content TO your 722, but you'll still be able to watch content on your computer based on your DISH subscription.

20. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    James,
    Thanks for your reply.