1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish's cancelation policies are nuts

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jerseyguy, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy Cool Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I just canceled my account because I moved to a place that already has Dish Network. They told me that not only do I have to return the leased box and remotes (normal), they also wanted me to return the LNB off the dish! The dish is on the roof!! I realize that some people have it on a pole but I believe most people have their Dish on the roof. Do they really expect people to climb onto their roof and remove the LNB?

Luckily Tonya told me she would note my account and not require me to send back the LNB but do most people have access to their dish and know how to remove the LNB.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you read the agreements when you sign up for Dish... you'll see that it mentions the LNBs as possibly being returned if you cancel.

Odd, though, that if you moved they wouldn't want to just leave it there for the next tenant... especially since you aren't cancelling Dish because of being unhappy, but because where you are moving already has it. Some kind of apartment/townhouse community deal I gather?

In any event... I don't like heights myself, so if it ever came to that I'd want them to bring someone to get it down since they sent someone out to put it up there!

3. ban_cable

ban_cable AllStar

Dec 6, 2005
    They are playing a game with you. If you cancel, they only ask for the receiver and remote control. And, they will mail you a box to send it back for free. They do not want the dish back. The person telling you this stuff was totally wrong or just being a ***** because you are cancelling and giving them a bad time.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    E* has asked for LNBs in the past and IIRC it remains in their contracts that they can ask for the LNB. If you don't return it when asked they can charge your account.

5. BIGBALDITO

BIGBALDITO Mentor

Feb 24, 2006
    I had a dish 1000 installed with my 622 upgrade last month. The installer through the old dish 500 of the roof and bropke lnb. I asked him if I had to return it he said no that they already have to much outdated trash.

6. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Assuming your old Dish 500 were legacy LNB's, and not Dish Pro, those LNB's are largely useless these days... They'll still work, but Pro makes things much easier for installs with new hardware.

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    So send them a Legacy LNB. You can probably get them for change. Heck I have several sitting around.

E* policy is indeed nuts. What would happen if the soon-to-be ex subscriber gets hurt or worse removing the LNB?

If you move they tell you to keep the dish on the house and E* will install a new one at your new home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.