1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish's new ad campaign (merged)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by HD Wannabee, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HD Wannabee

HD Wannabee Cool Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Other than using the word "SUCK" for its SHOCK VALUE I see little more than typical marketing rhetoric in Dish's latest promotion.
    Michael Neuman says he's targeting "unhappy cable TV watchers." If that's the goal it should be pretty easy to achieve with relatively
    little cost since they're already UNHAPPY.

How about setting your goals a little higher Michael? Go after the 90% of cable users that are SATISFIED because they see nothing
    significantly better that DBS has to offer. Announce that Dish is implementing a new improved antenna system designed to improve satellite
    reception and take advantage of MPEG4 technology which significantly improves the ability to deliver HD programming. Tell them that Dish
    intends to quadruple the amount of HD content available in 2006. And that any existing Dish subscribers who require HD equipment upgrades
    will be given priority consideration with free or minimal cost options.

The latest Dish Promo offering is nothing more than what has typically been offered in the past. Take a risk. Pace Dish against the top
    of the pile, not the bottom.

2. mudder1310

mudder1310 AllStar

May 15, 2005
    Quoted from MSN moneycentral...

"According to a recent survey conducted by the Leichtman Research Group, Inc., 60 percent of former digital cable subscribers who maintain a pay-TV subscription cite expense and "poor value" as the top reasons for dropping the service. DISH Network's new campaign alerts dissatisfied cable customers to the better option of satellite TV. "

I'm not sure where your "90% satisfied" number comes from.

Regardless, we all know that commercials that simply give data and info aren't nearly as arresting as quick hitters and the whole idea is to get people to remember the ad.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Isn't most marketing, by definition, rhetoric?

All advertisers have to have a target market. Dish has 4 different markets: already subscribed to Dish, already subscribed to another satellite provider, already subscribed to cable, and not subscribed to anything. The first can generally be scratched off the list. Any more and the last also can be scratched in some cases as if they don't subscribe to something yet, it's going to be a harder sell to subscribe them now. So you are left with DirecTV subs and cable subs. Most DirecTV subs are happy as they have already "seen the light" of DBS. So you go after the largest of the groups, cable TV subs. Point out to them what the difference is between cable and Dish (price, selection, equipment, etc).

Yeah...because having a SuperDuper Dish 1000 is a HUGE selling point. Until Dish themselves make up their mide what they are going to put at 129, they aren't going to promote anything. And even then, how the Dish looks is never a selling point. If anything, they would want to minimize it due to the size. If it was an 18 inch dish that picked up 3 sats, that is one thing. A nearly 1m dish is another.

Again, with the exception of the relatively small group of people that read stuff on these types of forums, most people don't care about MPEG4. And since no receivers are available, no channels are (publically) available in MPEG4, and Dish hasn't (publically released) a time table for implementation of MPEG4, it's not going to be a selling point. Dish has repeatedly been burned by receivers that didn't work when released and still have issues many months after they are released. The 522 seems to be working pretty reliably. The 811 and 921 I beleive still have some outstanding issues although they may have been corrected recenly (I don't have one so I don't follow their problems). They are going to release MPEG4 when there is a reason, they are able to support it, and things (hopefully) is working well.

But do they? Dish rarely announces anything until it actually happens. Charlie has repeatedly said that there is a lack of compelling HD content. I would be very suprised if he actually could quadruple the amount of real HD content available (I'm excluding HD locals). Why promise to quadruple the amount of HD available, only to let everyone down (again) when something doens't fall into place.

They may be given a small promotional consideration but I would be very extreamly suprised if anything is given away free and quite suprised if it is at a minimal cost. Existing subs also likely wouldn't have priority over new subs. New subs are more valuable as they bring in more revenue. Most Existing subs probably wouldn't leave immediately if they didn't get their new equipment when it first comes available. Again, the typical member here is not the same as the typical subscriber.

Who says they are are at the bottom of the pile? Dish has continually grown at a steady rate doing exactly what they have been doing. There isn't a huge compelling reason for them to switch. If they started giving handouts left and right, to both new and existing subs, that lowers their bottom line. They are not in business for you and me. They are in business for their stockholders. Yeah it sucks but it's also life.

4. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    I can say I am highly satisfied with my Comcast at this point. I just got two new HD channels this week and getting Logo first week of Sept. The HD boxes are highly stable now and by this time next year they will deploy TIVO in them.

I considered a few months back going back to DISH but I just cannot justify the cost of spending $250 for the privelage to lease something and another $200 for the privelage of watching 10 more HD channels. DISH is the provider for mostly the undereducated of PAY-TV subscribers because anyone who looks around will see that there are much better offers for much better technology. I concede that people such as Mark and some of the members on this forum subscribe to DISH for the technology that IS available or should I say... is developing. DISH is a friendly company to its insiders, D*, not so much. So, it is much more fun to speculate on DISH and follow its technical side.

However, given its customer servie, or lack thereof, I think before DISH starts calling itself the top of the heap, it should make sure that what it is on top of isn't smelling of poo.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Huh??? :confused:

I first got E* because they had more movies, while D* had more sports--easy choice for me.

I also had knowledge of D* at that time through a friend, and I much preferred E* guides and channel arrangement on the guides.

E* in my community had local channels for over a year before D* got them.

I love both my 508 and 721 receivers--they have been extremely stable the entire time I have owned them.

I will not name every difference between the satellite providers, but there are many reasons for selecting one over the other. You are not showing your "smarts" in classifying E* subscribers as "undereducated."

Charise

6. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    I didn't compare E* to just D*. I compared them to PAY-TV. Consider this... MOXI and Scientific Atlanta are already implementing the whole home dvr solution on multiple cable systems... advantage = cable. Cable is showing HD at full non-compressed capabilities. DISH is showing compressed(although lightly) HD. Advantage = cable. Cable is giving customers local HD, advantage = cable. Granted cable was far behind D* and E* in the dvr race but they have miles on most of satellite now. Plus cable and FIOS/FTTP both have the advantages of bundling internet, something DBS will NEVER be able to compete directly with. So when you say that DISH is the technology leader, I think they have fallen way behind.

7. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Maybe your cable provider is advanced. However, I bet if you look in most markets the cable TV offerings don't include full non-compressed HD, whole-home DVRs, VOD, etc.

8. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I realize that, but Charter cable here is not what you (or anyone) would call technically advanced; thus, they were left out of the comparison.

My point was that technology is only one reason people subscribe to any company, so for you to call one group "undereducated" is simplistic and probably wrong.

In any case, I hope E* changes their tagline on this new campaign. I think it's totally without any class and will insult more people than it will cause to subscribe!

9. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Consider yourself lucky then. That's one thing about cable, it's very "spotty" as to where they actually have all the new bells and whistles. You're lucky enough to live in an area where they do. In other areas (like where I live) the cable company not only doesn't have all the new cool features but has a tendency to go down for no apparent reason for hours at a time every two or three months. So not only can I get more HD programming through Dish, DVR service but get more reliable service as well. Since i've had Dish for over a year and half now i've never had any problems other than having "storm fade" for a few minutes and those times I can count on one hand. So overall i'd say Dish has the advantage because they can offer the same service no matter where you are. It's kind of like resteraunts, if live in a bigger city chances are you have better choices than say Cracker Barrell, but in smaller towns the Cracker Barrell is the "nicer place" to go. But the Cracker Barrell's are everywhere and you know what to expect when you go there, whereas your "nicer" resteraunts are only in more exclusive areas.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Is this is supposed to be the answer to Rethink TV? :nono:

I am a firm believer in that commercials should never have to go out right and bash the competition. If your product isn't good enough to sell it on it's own positives, that should be a warning sign.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And the bonus is that they are non-broadcast HD versions of two low power stations (ABC and WB).

JL

12. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I wasn't very impressed with that campaign of D*'s. The commercials were interesting, but they didn't make me want to get D*. Kind of like an ad that looks very nice, but you don't remember the product. That doesn't equal good advertising.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Honestly... when I see an advertising campaign that is as much or more focussed on telling me what the competitor is doing wrong vs what that company is doing right... I tend to tune them out.

Advertising that tells me what you have to offer and what I need to do to sign up, is much more effective for me... than is namecalling and insulting of the other guy.

I've had more than one scenario where a negative campaign actually made me look harder at the competitor to see if they were being painted wrongly and unfairly... and found out I liked what they had to offer better!

14. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I just saw the ad and thought it was pretty funny. I thought the cable sucks message worked pretty well. Was the ad memorable?? It was in my mind and that's a big part of a successful ad campaign. It will be interesting to see how Dish follows up on this.

15. Spruceman

Spruceman Legend

Nov 21, 2004
    But aren't there a lot of people for whom SUCK denotes one of the most pleasurable of feelings? Maybe they should say cable BITES and show critters from Jurassic Park chewing on everything in the living room, including the kids. I doubt many would associate BITE with pleasure.

16. HD Wannabee

HD Wannabee Cool Member

Aug 9, 2005
    My comments were not offered to suggest ways for dish to improve return on investment to its stockholders. If making money is all that counts, then sleazy advertising aimed at juveniles and mental midgets may work. So will cutting costs by limiting service to customers and spending only enough on product development to keep from falling too far behind. the competition.

The transition from analog to HDTV is far behind schedule, to the point where the government is considering extending the deadline for the end of analog broadcasts from 2006 to 2009. Consumers are reluctant to spend on HDTV because HD content is so limited and set prices still pretty high. Advertisers are reluctant to spend because not enough consumers watch HDTV. Broadcasters are reluctant to move to HD because of the technology and bandwidth costs.

So everyone waits for the next guy to pave the way and meanwhile just mark time carefully watching to make sure they don't risk more than necessary. Same thing happened with the Personal Computer industry in the 70's and early 80's. It was considered just a toy or hobbyist tool. Then IBM endorsed it as having useful potential and overnight the PC Industry exploded.

Seems to me the DBS companies are in the best position to move the ball forward and establish HDTV as the standard tool no-one can live without. Satellite should become the broadcast standard since it is universally accessable. Why not have DISH set itself apart as the industry leader by aggressively demonstrating its commitment. Perhaps it could become the catalyst that turns the transition to HDTV into reality.

17. lacruz

lacruz Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    "Suck" is a crude and vulgar reference to oral sex.

Regardless of how successful this new marketing campaign is, I think that it is a perfect example of what the President refers to as the ever decreasing morality in our society. I mean, think about it. Would we have seen a general broadcast commercial on our sets 15 years ago using the word "suck" so casually? I think not. If I had said this word when I was a kid, my father would have smacked me in the mouth (and I am only 30 now). And Echostar is showing this garbage on Daytime and Primetime TV, when kids are awake? I feel like smacking Charlie Ergan in the mouth. He should be ashamed.

Wake up people. The message is clear. Our sense of decency is now more lax than ever. The broadcast networks have obviosly cleared the commercial to air and the suits at Echostar have no problem with it. They think it's cute and funny, when it's nothing more than trash, plain and simple.

18. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    And from the other side of the aisle----I agree wholeheartedly. If I hear that ad on my TV, Dish sat tv is gone. Why run an ad that's going to piss off most of the country? ARE we missing gray matter?

19. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    naw.. just gotto lighten up somewhat on life.. joke and laugh (basically learn to exercise one's sense of humor somewhat more) ...

It's good to release some tension.. and proven to be good for one's health in general...

People are too serious nowadays..

I personally think ... it's not that bad.... most people have thick skin .. and / or will just laugh it off..

and meanwhile the number of DISH Network subscribers will keep on growing... :)

20. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    There's a huge difference between 'gee shucks' and 'does your tv suck' It's not humor, it's bad taste. There are some things that any real marketing agency will avoid. Making people angry, because of what you said is one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.