1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney cracks down on FastPass enforcement

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1 of 20
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Just in time for Spring Break (& of course summer)

From Fox News:

2. Mar 8, 2012 #2 of 20
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I was at DW once not too long after it opened. Long before Epcot or any of the other stuff.

That once was more than enough. Never again.

3. Mar 8, 2012 #3 of 20
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Mrs. Fluffybear insisted buying annual passes 2 years ago and we made at least 6 trips (3 to 4 days at time) and we swore after that it will be a pretty cold day in hell before we consider doing that again.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #4 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I drove through the parking lots with my wife after the parks closed. Good enough for me.

We did go to Downtown Disney and Universal's City Walk ... but not the theme parks. Not enough return on investment. The two days we spent at Cape Kennedy were better than any theme park.

I don't understand why anyone would go to an expensive theme park and spend most of their day in line. If I wanted to stand around I can do that for free. The concept of paying extra so you don't have to stand in line as much just shows how poor a value these parks can be.

5. Mar 8, 2012 #5 of 20
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    What do they charge now to park? $20?

And don't get me started on their horrible bus service you're forced into if you stay on property. Nothing like diesel fumes to get your vacation day started.

(Yes, I now officially hate Disney World, having once been a huge fan)

6. Mar 8, 2012 #6 of 20
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    It's about time they did this. Too many folks were scamming the system which caused folks that played by the rules to sometimes get stuck with longer waits. It will be interesting to see how they design the new system. Will there be tiers with folks staying at the deluxe resorts getting more reservation slots then folks staying at budget resorts? Will there be an additional charge for this or free for resort guests like Magical Express?

7. Mar 8, 2012 #7 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not all of them are as expensive, or a bad deal. If you plan things right, you can go on a day when it isn't as busy. Sometimes it may be a day you'd think it would be busy. At Kings Island, it can be dead on the fourth of July.

Or like a place at Holiday World, sure full adult price is $45, but that includes unlimited beverages, parking, sunscreen, inner tubes and admission to both parks (and they have highly rated roller coasters.) Plus getting a discounts as simple as bringing a Pepsi can.

But I will say, Disney is crazy expensive. I went in high school to WDW and Epcot, and had fun, but we didn't have to pay for admission.

8. Mar 8, 2012 #8 of 20
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    WAY back in 1988, when me and the missus were married in August in Jacksonville, we took 3 days of our honeymoon seeing Disney / Epcot .

9. Mar 8, 2012 #9 of 20
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Don't resort guests get to park for free? I know Annual passholders, get free parking..

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, resort and annual pass holders don't have to pay for parking.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm glad they are finally doing this. The last time we went we tried to ride Space Mountain late at night. The FastPass line was longer than the normal line because they were using passes that should have run out earlier in the day.

12. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

Another area of abuse is the 'child swap' program which was designed while one parent stays behind with an infant or toddler while their group goes on the ride. Upon the return of their group, they are allowed to go through with the group while the other parent sits with the infant or toddler. In this case, one parent will stay behind with a younger member (not an infant or toddler but a child maybe 6 or 7) while the other takes the group on the ride. Upon their return, the entire group (everyone this time) proceeds through the FastPass line with their 'Child Pass' and rides it a second time.
    I have even encountered once someone who tried to claim my wife and kid as his own in order to get a child pass for his group.

13. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Standing in line for so much time makes these parks pretty unappealing. If you can, go to these parks (Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm) during a weekday in the off season. You will find yourself able to just walk onto most rides, or the busier ones will have about a ten-minute wait.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Wish I could. But we now have grandkids in school plus the daughter in law is a teacher so we're now stuck going when everyone else in the world is also there. :(

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That's how I remember the parks in California as well but that does not seem to apply when it comes to Florida. Disney & Universal tends to bring in off-shore tour groups specifically to fill these down times. To make matters worse, tours groups tend to get priority access to rides.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Disney World just comes up with a special festival to fill in the slower spots in the season. There's te Flower and Garden show in the late spring followed by Star Wars weekends before the summer rush. Then in the fall there's the Epcot Food and Wine fest and then after Thanksgiving the Christmas holiday season starts up. Except for January and February, except for Presidents day weekend, the parks stay fairly busy now almost all year.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Gotta feed the mouse. The good news is that keeps employment more consistent for cast and crew members ... the bad news is that there are less weeks where cast and crew are not dealing with stressed out guests who may not have known the negatives of a park visit (and are possibly more stressed because they expected a "better week").

18. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    My wife and I were there in early December and we hardly had to wait for ANYthing except the latest new ride (Toy Story Mania). It was a *fantastic* experience because I had an App for my iPhone that told me what all the wait times were. If something we wanted had a line that was too long, we could simply go somewhere else for a shorter or non-existant line.

By being a little smart with some planning of getting and using FastPasses, the trip was pretty much angst-free.

19. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    +1 on the phone apps. I had one for my android phone and it was excellent when we went last May. Not only do they tell you the wait times, but the map/gps feature made getting around the park very easy.

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    +1 also. It was nice that they opened up the official Disney app to other carriers the Verizon and added iPhone support. I had been using a 3rd party app but having the official wait and fast pass times will be better.