1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disneys Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Getteau, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1 of 11
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Anyone go see it yet? I'm trying to find out of it's too scary for my 4 and 6 year olds.

2. Nov 8, 2009 #2 of 11
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #3 of 11
    redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    I'm not so sure about this one. I'm not a big Jim Carrey fan.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #4 of 11
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I plan to see it in IMax 3@ this week. I visited the Christmas Carol train last month and got a chance to see the previews in 3D - This is an awesome movie, not to be missed. I have some reservations about very young children seeing it , because the movie is supposed to be quite true to the Dickens story The ghosts might be too scary for them. As to Jim Carey, from what I've seen, he has done a very good job of voicing Evenezer Scrooge.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #5 of 11
    redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Ah... I see you already had a thread.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=166474

6. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Well, I didn't see it last week, but saw it today in IMax 3D. The movie lives up to all the hype. Truly outstanding. I'd give it a 5 out of 5. It may not be appropriate for younger children because of the scenes with the three ghosts. As to whether you're a Jim Carrey fan or not, not to worry. He give an excellent performance in several different roles.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm torn... because I liked Polar Express and Monster House (two previous movies made using earlier incarnations of the same technology used here to animate the actors)... but I've never really cared for "A Christmas Carol" as a story.

8. jrwinter

jrwinter AllStar

Sep 2, 2004
    its not that scary but it isn't true to the original

9. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    With Jim Carrey, I was worried it would be a comedy. Is it?

10. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Definitely not a comedy, although there are some comedic aspects here and there, especially when Scrooge is transported by the Ghosts. That being said, it is a reasonably faithful adaptation of the Dickens novel. Some of the modifications are subtle, some are obvious. You can attribute that in part to the Disney approach to classic novels and in part to the fact that it's a translation from the printed page to the big screen. Some scenes are stretched out for effect, something that you can't do too easily on the printed page.
    IMHO, Carrey does an excellent job in voicing Scrooge and several other characters. Interestingly, I felt that there was a facial resemblance between Carrey and Scrooge.
    The computer generated animation makes that of the Polar Express look primitive by comparison.
    My previous comment about suitability for younger children has to do with Scrooge's encounters with the Ghosts. Young children are quite impressionable, and If they're frightened easily, these scenes would be troubling, to say the least.
    On the whole, this is a most enjoyable family movie, and should well wind up being a Christmas classic much like the Dickens novel.

11. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    You guys have actually made me want to see this now.:new_popco