1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distant local network question...help?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by E-Rock, Jul 14, 2010.

1. E-Rock

E-Rock Cool Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Hey all...

I have a question...thru a glitch not of my doing, we were able to receive local channels from NYC (ABC/243? and CBS/245? only....we also had our local channels from SF in the mix too). This was a blessing as we could watch and tape shows early. Well, it appears the glitch was fixed and those channels are no longer present :( . Channel 240 used to have details of how to order these channels if you wanted them (for a nominal fee). This channel now appears to be a religious channel....:confused:

I've seen a few threads today (after doing a search) about distant locals and wondering if something happened (didn't feel like scrolling thru 7+ pages in some of these...excuse my laziness). Just wondering if it's possible to get these channels. We were spoiled and now we're willing to pay (if at all possible).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you live outside the reception range of all affiliates of a network, or can get a waiver from all affiliates that you are in range of you can receive a distant signal via All American Direct ... their website for distants is at http://www.mydistantnetworks.com/ .

3. E-Rock

E-Rock Cool Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Thanks for the response. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, thus we have those affiliates. Say we get a waiver, would we still get our SF locals AND the distant locals too? (like we were getting by accident). Thanks again.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your locals are included in your DISH network subscription. Any subscription with All American Direct would be entirely separate and would not affect your DISH subscription.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since you get all your local affiliates, the chances of you getting the waivers are slim and none....

6. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    AAD is generally not providing distants from an earlier time zone except to "grandfathered" viewers. There is a section of STELA that prohibits providing distants from an earlier time zone to viewers who live in a market where there is an affiliate of the same station, and that part of STELA appears to apply even if there is a waiver. So, unless you live in a "white area" or a "short market," even with a waiver all you will likely be offered by AAD is the SF stations in SD and the LA stations in HD. Each waiver is individual to the station, so you will have to seek a waiver from all four SF stations if you want to receive all four networks as distants. AAD charges $3 per waiver request, whether or not the waiver is granted. Since you did not legitimately have the distant stations previously, you will not likely qualify as a "grandfathered" customer.

7. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Thats interesting, the STELA provision for networks providing 'earlier' programming. I say its worth a shot though. I had distants thru dish when I started and then somehow a year later I was no longer eligible. As if my house moved or something. So I had to go the waiver route, got all 4 though, that lasted until the court ruling in 2007 was it? 2006 I think. I tried w/ Directv but was only granted 2 waivers, then I tried w/ AAD and got 3 waivers, so you just never know. Directv won't even allow you to file waivers now, if you get locals thru them but AAD does not have that policy.

8. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Didnt AAD do a free preview to elgible viewers a while back? Maybe that is what the glitch was.