1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distant Network Feeds/Hi Def

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gdk5433, Feb 24, 2009.

1. gdk5433

gdk5433 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I am authorized and pay the monthly fee to receive the distant network feeds and per the directv website I am "grandfathered" to continue receiving these feeds as I now can receive my local channels as well however obviously enjoy the multiple feeds of the major networks. I also pay the monthly fee for the HD Package which of course allows me to watch the local channels in HD. The problem is that I cannot receive the distant network feeds on the HD channels (I receive the 380-390 channels only) and when I inquired with directv they indicated that I was not authorized to receive these channels in HD as I can receive my local channels in HD. Does this make sense and does this sound like accurate information? I did not make a stink as I wanted to make sure I continue to receive the distant network feeds however as I think about it, if I am grandfathered to receive the distant network feeds and pay for both the feeds as well as the HD package, what difference does it make. Does anybody else have the same situation or can offer some advice towards accomplishing my goal of receiving the distant network feeds in HD as well? Thanks for your input in advance.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There is a huge difference between HD and SD distant, and you will never be able to get the distant in HD

See this thread, for some more detailed info...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=150860

3. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    BUT we did use to get the distant new york HD feeds for one year until directv took them away the following year and only allowed us to receive the SD feed!!!!!:mad:

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SD and HD DNS Feeds are completely separate as far as getting waivers to receive. You can apply if you want, but technically you should not be receiving DNS feeds at all anymore.

After your locals are available, DNS feeds should be dropped, plain and simple. However, if cable in your area can offer network feeds from more than one market, I strongly feel sat should be able to offer the same, not like now. Thats more along the lines of the SV(significantly viewed) networks and how it should work.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    +1, including Canadian stations which are available on cable :D

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Be thankful you are getting the SD feeds... by all rights, once your locals are carried you shouldn't be allowed under current law to receive any DNS feeds. I agree that you should be able to buy what you want but that is not the current situation.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I have no hd locals and nbc granted me hd dns waiver for east coast. this is only network that will and its because I am on the fringe of their ota covergage.
    fox has no hd broadcast at all in my area and still won't grant a waiver.
    go figure.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The rules do not give you rights to HD programming, only to digital programming. If your local Fox station is broadcasting in digital and you can receive the signal off-air then you are not entitled to a waiver.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I think you guys are missing something here. People who had DNS before 2004 I believe are the ones that are grandfathered in and are not required to loose the DNS feeds even once their locals are available to them.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I didnt miss it. I don't believe in grandfathering, its only done to try to quiet the whiners who need to get over it. Grandfathering also needs to go away.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, but in virtually every case .. Grandfathering is ONLY applicable to analog (or SD) stations. The Digital channels require a separate waiver, and now with the digital transition, technically there are a number of situations where there is no local analog signal .. thus making the waivers moot (grandfathered or otherwise).

Since I haven't heard anyone say anything about losing SD channels, it doesn't sound like anything has happened, but with the digital transition, DIRECTV could be forced to make changes.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not sure how reliable it is but I asked at the VP of Customer Services's Office recently and was told that the SD DNS stations would not be going away. I sure hope not with some of us without locals and the affiliates so not willing to grant digital waivers.

13. blc

blc Legend

Sep 29, 2007
    Anyone is free to request a waiver for digital DNS. SHVERA clearly and undisputably states:

(E) Authority to grant station-specific waivers

This paragraph shall not prohibit a retransmission of a distant analog signal or distant digital signal (within the meaning of subparagraph (A), (B), or (D)) of any distant network station to any subscriber to whom the signal of a local network station affiliated with the same network is available, if and to the extent that such local network station has affirmatively granted a waiver from the requirements of this paragraph to such satellite carrier with respect to retransmission of such distant network station to such subscriber. ​

47 U.S.C.A. § 339(a)(2)(E).

Moreover, those who qualify and who PROPERLY had digital DNS BEFORE digital locals are offered by DirecTV are allowed under the statute to keep that digital DNS so long as the subscriber also subscribes to the digital locals once they are available.

(v) Non-local-to-local markets

After December 8, 2004, if the satellite carrier does not make available the digital signal of a local network station in a local market, the satellite carrier may offer a new subscriber after such date who is eligible under this subparagraph a distant digital signal from a station affiliated with the same network and, in the case of any local market in the 48 contiguous States of the United States, whose prime time network programming is generally broadcast simultaneously with, or later than, the prime time network programming of the affiliate of the same network in the local market, except that-- ​
    (I) such carrier may continue to provide such distant digital signal to such a subscriber after the date on which the carrier makes available the digital signal of a local network station affiliated with such network only if such subscriber subscribes to the digital signal from such local network station; ​

47 U.S.C.A. § 339(a)(2)(D)(v).

This last statutory provision has been reiterated by the FCC in an Order dated January 16, 2008, and can be found in paragraph 5 on page 3 of that Order at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-08-111A1.pdf

Section339(a)(2)(D)(iii)(III) of the Act also requires that to be eligible for distant digital signals, subscribers must subscribe to the analog local-into-local package, where offered, and receive the analog signal of the network station affiliated with the same network, where available. For new local-into-local markets, subscribers receiving a distant digital signal of a network station can continue to receive that signal after a satellite carrier begins offering local-into-local digital signals in the market only if the subscriber also subscribes to the digital signal of the local station affiliated with the same network.​

That's the law and FCC's interpretaion of it.

14. blc

blc Legend

Sep 29, 2007
    As a side note, DirecTV does not HAVE to provide DNS to anyone, the statute merely states in what instances DNS may be provided legally. On that note, it appears that DirecTV would like to simplify the matter considerably as to "unserved households" and thereby restrict DNS in DMA's where DirecTV offers locals to subscribers who are outside of the spotbeam. Thus, DirecTV seems to be taking the approach that if the subscriber lives beyond a grade b over-the-air signal but is still within the spotbeam coverage, then that subscriber is "served."

This presents an interesting question, DirecTV seems to already take that approach but now also seems to recognize that such an approach is not currently the law for defining "unserved household."

Here is a link to testimony from the Feb. 24, 2009 hearing on reauthorizing SHVERA. http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20090224/testimony_gabrielli.pdf

The relevant testimony is on page 6 in subparagraph "D" where he discusses "Unserved Household."

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not sure what you are saying here but I live in an area that D* does not provide locals but I know I am within the spot beam for Tulsa locals. I dont mind being considered served if they will give me the Tulsa locals. That being said I live in a grade A area and have all locals via SD DNS excpet for CBS. There are exceptions to every rule. No one said you had to be in a unserved area to get DNS just waivers approved. I have dont that and enjoy locals via DNS.

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Well clearly they didn't go away on the 17th as no one mentioned it from what I can see. I'm just saying technically the Analog waivers are moot at this point .. well, except for the extension of the digital transition until June .. but some stations are no longer transmitting in analog, so what exactly are those analog waivers waiving now? :shrug:

All I know is that it's a very gray area and the networks may wise up and force the issue with DIRECTV at some point.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats very true. If anyone wants SD waivers they better get on it now before it becomes alot harder then it already is to get DNS feed.

18. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I have had DNS west/east since 1999. There was no way I could get locals over the air and got all the waivers. I also have the DTV locals in my area since they went into effect. The funny thing is that I never watch them. After reading this thread I looked into my account and it does say DNS - grandfathered. :D

Having West/East coast dns is a hugh bonus for me. I really would like to get HD but DNS is more important right now. I remember last year everybody said if I went to HD I would loose DNS.

So, can I go HD and keep my DNS SD? I can live with that. However, I really don't want to rock the boat.

19. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    I upgraded to HD over a year ago and I also have both the west/east feeds. I still have the DNS feed but truthfully I rarely watch them. Once you have HD channels watching anything in SD is painful. With the DVR and programming options the DNS really do not have any value other than during football season. I believe in March the price for the DNS feed is also going up and I am going to consider to finally drop them.

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You probably can but you will have to make sure you deal with someone that is knowledgable or the package change could change your grandfathered status. Not sure how it works for gradfathered DNS. I know I would be very careful with it not to lose it if it was something I really wanted to keep.