Distant Networks: "NPS Distants" on Dish Network Equipment - Legal Issues

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 30, 2006 #1 of 323
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Wednesday at the Florida District Court:
    1071 MOTION for Order to Show Cause Why Echostar and Two Parties Acting in Concert Should Not Be Held In Contempt by All Plaintiffs.

The plaintiffs are claiming that E* is working with NPS to provide distants.
    See EchoStar to Provide Ku Bandwidth to National Programming Service for the press release.

2. Nov 30, 2006 #2 of 323
    kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Unfortunately for the plaintiffs, their argument is faulty, as the injunction only applies to those acting in conjunction with E* on Oct 20th.

Amazing how professional lawyers cannot even read a sentence accurately.

And, the main thrust of the complaint is that Echostar's customers will be able to receive the channels without having to change equipment - as if the customers were somehow to blame.

3. Nov 30, 2006 #3 of 323
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Channels 5531-5538 ate "Test Channels" that just went up in Engineering mode. I guess my guess was correct. TP 15 at 119° was cleared off completely at 3 am easter today and loaded with these "test channels"

4. Nov 30, 2006 #4 of 323
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The 4 Los Angeles SD Networks are still on Tp 15

The 8 test channels are not in the traditional E* Engineering package, but have each been assigned to a unique code, which is not familiar and probably does not exist elsewhere in the entire system.

5. Nov 30, 2006 #5 of 323
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Oops... Sorry... missed those. :) Perhaps Dish is just leasing 2/3 of a TP :)

See ya
    Tony

6. Nov 30, 2006 #6 of 323
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    This works out correctly. It leaves 12 channels on the TP. Normal loading for better PQ. :)

Check my edit about the Tiers.

7. Nov 30, 2006 #7 of 323
    joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks, as always, James, for providing the court documents.

Are the attached exhibits available?

It would be interesting to see just how "flagrantly contumacious” this “scheme" is.

Edit:
    So possibly the test channels are not NY/LA but NY/Denver, and four more 55xx channels will appear later.

Didn't NPS package the "Denver 5" years ago?

Edit 2: The ironic thing about this “scheme”, if they can actually get away with it, is that because NPS sells no LIL whatsoever, they’ll be able to sell DNS to a whole lot more people than E* could.

8. Nov 30, 2006 #8 of 323
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The channels could be anything as they are separate from the other channels on the TP.

NPS is uniquely qualified to offer this service. They have been selling Distant Networks on C band for years and already have a qualification system in place. They also are not the C band provider which is owned by EchoStar.

I was also thinking about that ironic thing earlier this morning. :)

So far this new service seems to be "above board".

9. Nov 30, 2006 #9 of 323
    BobS

BobS Legend

Jun 23, 2006
    I checked the calendar and since it is not April 1st, I must assume that you are serious. Perhaps you misread the injunction. Perhaps you are being contumacious. In either case your "analysis" is so ridiculous that nobody should give it any weight.

10. Nov 30, 2006 #10 of 323
    dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    Sounds like CBS is trying to make a preemptive strike. It seems unlikely the court would act on this as no violation of the injunction has occurred yet. It won't occur unless the assertion in the filing turns true on Dec. 2 and distants are still being delivered. But then I'm not a lawyer so what makes sense to me is irrelevant.:lol:

11. Nov 30, 2006 #11 of 323
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    joblo .. or anyone else, hehe...

In simple words.. to summarize this.. - what is happening.. or what might happen with this thingy .. between E* and this NPS?

The bottom line.. - they found some loophole to provide those locals to customers?
    If so... Free ..or it will not be free?
    Or what else this partnership might do, etc...

In simple English though please.. :D

12. Nov 30, 2006 #12 of 323
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
  13. Nov 30, 2006 #13 of 323
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    It wasn't the lawyers that misread anything.

This was the tact used by DirecTV during the last week of Februrary, 1999, prior to their injunction being enforced. That was when DirecTV severed their relationship PrimeTime 24 and started their own service.

Unfortunately for Dish Network, the way the injunction is worded would seem to make this action illegal:
    This quite easily is against the terms of the injunction.

14. Nov 30, 2006 #14 of 323
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The injunction has an issue date that it was effective. That isn't the same as the cut off date. so I think that any partnership agreed to at a time after the issuance date are not affected by the shut off on the 1st. If E* has an agreement for carriage of another company post the injunction date will not be included in the shut off.

15. Nov 30, 2006 #15 of 323
    kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Exactly.

Unfortunately for the plaintiffs, using some sort of Einstein or Hawking definition of present tense won't fly.

But I suppose it might be interesting to speculate whether an Egyptian Pharoah who went through a Star Gate to 2007 and then provided Distant Networks to E* customers would be in violation...

16. Nov 30, 2006 #16 of 323
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    What definition of present tense?

Effective 1 December, [insert list of parties here, which could grow] are hereby permanently enjoined and restrained [insert distant networks here].

I thought the word "are" is present tense? Or is this going to turn into some kind of presidential debate?

17. Nov 30, 2006 #17 of 323
    BobS

BobS Legend

Jun 23, 2006
    I think some people are trying to make something of the fact that the "those acting in concert" somehow indicates a specific point in time. The injunction should be seen as a "status." That is, until the law is changed (by the Congress or the Supreme Court), E* has a permanent barrier to doing something. The "acting in concert" is a continuous evaluation. Whatever day it is you check to see if E* or their stooges are using the license. Any attempt to read in freezing the reference point to the date of issue is beyond silly. Injunctions by their very nature are prospective (forward looking). The court says to the party - "You shall not do X." Sometimes you can have a mandatory (as in "mandate") in which the court says "You shall do X." - but those are uncommon and not relevant here. Although the court of appeals instruction to Judge D. was mandatory in two senses 1. It was required by law and 2. It was an order to do something.

18. Nov 30, 2006 #18 of 323
    makman

makman Legend

Dec 1, 2002
    I think this will get struck down by the judge. I don't think it will get struck down by tomorrow. I think that if and when the new legislation is passed, NPS will have a new (and now legal) customer base.

Mitch

19. Nov 30, 2006 #19 of 323
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Time will show i guess...

20. Nov 30, 2006 #20 of 323
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    In concert would mean that the company is part of E* or working for E*. NPS doesn't qualify as in concert. Reason is they are buying space from E*. That means they are separate from E*. Which means they have the right to buy the customer base from E* and offer their services to that base outside of E*. Then all that E* has to do is drop the price that is charged to their customers to off set the new service that the customers will pay to NPS. This way neither are in violation of the injunction. Also most likely NPS will not offer the same stations thst E* was selling them so it isn't the same package. NPS did offer to C-band the Denver 5 as well as other cities on the E coast. So if you were getting the NY stations you will be offered another E coast set of stations from say Miami. On the W. coast the stations offered could be San Francisco or Seattle instead of LA. To stop this it would mean that a new injunction would have to be issued against NPS to stop delivery to then customer base. Which if I remember correctly they have already compiled with the law and can't be enjoined to stop carriage of their stations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.