distant networks

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ground_pounder, Apr 30, 2015.

1. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    does dish offer the distant networks for travelers :shrug:

2. BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    We do not currently have any information on carrying distant networks. If you are in an RV, you can call to let us know what your address is at your location and we can get you locals for that area while you are there.

3. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    Can't you just say "no?" :sure:

1 person likes this.
  4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    No she can't because she gave the correct official answer.

5. May 1, 2015 #5 of 74
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not really, the answer would be no but here is what we can do.

1 person likes this.
  6. May 2, 2015 #6 of 74
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That feels like exactly what she said... It feels weird to be complaining about a Dish rep who not only answered a question but gave additional helpful information, doesn't it?

2 people like this.
  7. May 2, 2015 #7 of 74
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I guess that really depeneds on how you look at it. Dish is airing a commercial that claims they have all the same channels and sports DirecTV does but at a cheaper price. When I had a conversation with them a few days ago all they could say is they are sorry they dont carry Sunday Ticket, MSG, YES, The CW in my area, etc. They refused to answer why their commercial says they have all the same channels when they clearly DON'T. You think most reps at Dish or DirecTV know the answer to that question about DNS feeds if you call either one and speak with a first level CSR?

8. May 2, 2015 #8 of 74
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You are misreading the ad ... not that the ad has anything to do with distant networks ... but I suppose if one wants to bash DISH any opportunity works. :rolleyes:

The ad is comparing prices for the same selection of channels ... NOT stating that you can't pay more and get more with DirecTV, but for the channels DISH offers you will pay less via DISH than buying the same channels via DirecTV.

Hopefully that clears up your misunderstanding.

As far as DISH's reply on this forum, an honest answer was given to the question as posed. She does not have any information on distants for travelers (which makes sense as DISH does not currently offer distants to travelers). If one wants network affiliates the "change your location to where you are" solution was offered. BTW: The rep who answered the question was not a "first level CSR".

9. May 2, 2015 #9 of 74
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thanks so much for all your help James. Don't know what we would do without you around here.

1 person likes this.
  10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That's why the only mention of that is in the fine print at the bottom of the screen right? Not misleading at all.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Kind of like the small print at the bottom of DirecTV's ads. Still not relevant to the topic of this thread.

12. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    To bad dish doesn't carry distant networks, they are allowed to provided distant networks now with the new fcc rulings.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They have been allowed to offer distants for the past few years - and they do offer distants as fill ins for missing network channels in short markets. What they do not offer is a single city package of distants (eg: all New York networks or all Los Angeles networks). DISH would only be able to offer such channels to RV/commercial vehicle subscribers or short markets (where they already provide a closer distant).

A distant network package for travelers would be a good idea. DISH just needs to make sure they keep the documentation straight to be able to prove all "RV distant" subscribers are actually RV users and not people scamming the system. DISH does not want to lose distants again.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    As a long term RV'er, I wouldn't mind seeing Dish offer DNS again, but we've really grown to like being able to easily switch the locals to what ever market we happen to be parked in. I'm not sure I would pay extra for it at this point.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This is what I was trying to find out about. There is no CW in my market but there is in Tulsa. Dish was not able to answer any questions about getting the CW unless I added service first. That is no way to do business. Someone there should know if I qualify for a DNS feed of any other kind for the CW since I am in a short market.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    So you dislike that DirecTV does it on printed adds and the answer for Dish it to the same thing but in a commercial because that is better?

17. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    To clear up about offering Distants;

1. Virtually no subscriber to DISH or at the least a tiny percentage could possibly get Distants. If DISH offers your locals that disqualifies you from getting Distants even if you are in a "White" area. (An area that the FCC says you can not get a local channel via OTA) So to begin with even if DISH does not offer your local you have to be in an area that can not receive them over the air.

2. Part of the tiny percentage is those who can get their locals to issue a waiver. All waivers must be submitted by the satellite provider, not the customer. Any previous waiver is no longer valid even if DISH were to again offer Distants to households, there can be no Grandfathering for various reasons. An extreme few locals will give out a waiver anymore.
    In addition, if there is a competing local, such as a significantly viewed one they can also deny you any waiver even if one issued by the actual local is given. (That one can be contested)

3. DISH could if they wanted offer significantly viewed channels, something Direct does do. DISH can also offer a local from a neighboring market if your market does not have that local.

4. DISH does make it very easy to change your locals when you travel.

While a few of us would like to have Distants, by far most would not pay for it. Given how few would actually qualify DISH decided not to put resources towards it, and have made it extremely easy for RV's/Truckers to change their locals. This avoids all the problems DISH had with Distants years ago.

1 person likes this.
  18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I follow you but I am in a market that there is no CW affilaite. Also the law was changed to only require the affiliate in your DMA to approve a waiver. Since there is no affiliate in my DMA, there is no one that is required to approve my waiver. The part about getting it approved with a significantly viewed station is not true anymore. For me that isnt an issue though as there is no CW that claims to be significantly viewed in my area either.

Plain and simple, I am not served by the CW in the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA.

19. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Ok, but my reply was in response to the OP, and to comizzou573.

I agree with the reply others gave, DISH doesn't make a claim they have all the same channels as Direct, rather that it costs less for the same channels they do have. DISH also does not list channels they have that Direct does not in those ads because there is no claim both offer the same or one offers more than the other.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's website will show the local channels included for each market. If it is a "short market" where a distant channel is imported the channel imported will show in the listing. Or go to my website ... http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html and find the market.

I do not see a CW affiliate listed for Joplin, MO - so I suggest you stay with your current provider if they offer a CW affiliate.

Not what I said. Learn to read. The topic of this thread is distant network channels.