1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY DECA Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Tom_S, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    I currently have two HR's connected via Ethernet and an original slimiline dish with four outputs. I would like to upgrade to SWM and DECA and also add an additional non-DVR receiver. What parts would I need to accomplish this.

I have MRV and VOD running with my current setup and it works great.

Thanks in advance.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    As part of this section of dbstalk, if you go here, you will find everything you possibly need to determine what you may want to buy. You have alternatives with keeping your dish and adding a SWM or changing the LNB to a SWM LNB. Theres a few ways to go with the DISH and SWM configuration for DIY.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=178068

But if everythings working fine, why change?
    Also, if you make this a DIY project, you will spend hundreds.

Consider calling Directv and let them start the process with the $149 offer and you probably will find that if you ask nicely, theres some deep discounting reported. Don't forget to specify the Internet Connection Kit if you go this route.

3. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    I cannot add a receiver with my current setup. I would rather do it myself because I always seem to re-do whatever the "pros" do to my house.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What you need may end up costing more than it would if you'd just go through DIRECTV .. But the parts you need are:

• One of these SWiM devices
      • SWiM-LNB
      • SWiM-8
      • SWiM-16
    • 4-way splitter
    • SWiM Power Inserter for choice from above
    • 3 DECA Modules for 3 receivers/DVRs (not needed for HR24 or H24)
    • 1 DECA Module + DECA Power Inserter (optional for broadband connection)
    • Coax cable & connectors

All components MUST carry a green label or be isolated AWAY from the main DECA cloud with a Band Stop Filter

Then you'd connect something like this:
    Code:
    Dish/SWM [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]+-- [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI -- DECA [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI
               |             |
               |             +-- Ethernet to Switch
               |
               +-- DECA ----- Sat In
               |     |
               |     +-- Ethernet to HR20/21/22/23, H21/23
               |
               |
               +-- DECA ----- Sat In 
               |     |
               |     +-- Ethernet to HR20/21/22/23, H21/23
               |
               |
               +-- DECA ----- Sat In
                     |
                     +-- Ethernet to HR20/21/22/23, H21/23
    This will be @ most $150 with DIRECTV, but I think you'll find it to be more expensive to buy these parts on your own. You may even get it cheaper than that through DIRECTV. Some have paid as little as $0 but many have gotten it for under $100.

5. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Thanks. I'll consider it.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    SWM LNBs, PIs, & splitters can sometimes be found together on ebay at great prices.

7. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    "All components MUST carry a green label or be isolated AWAY from the main DECA cloud with a Band Stop Filter"

What exactly do you mean by this?

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Any splitter must be the type made for DECA which have a green label on them.
    Any SWiMLNB, or SWiM8, or SWiM-16 must also have a green label/sticker "or" you need to use a DECA bandstop filter between these and the first splitter.
    Any receiver that doesn't have a DECA internally or externally, must also have a bandstop filter on them too.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 20
    Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Do the Power Inserters need to be on a certain side of the splitter? Like maybe on the single wire from the SWM?

Thanks.

Oh, and I guess the B-Band converters are no longer needed right?

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You can put the power inserter either before the input or after the output, but if after the output, you MUST connect it through the power-passing port (should be the red one - others are white).

Also, remember the power side of the power inserter MUST go back towards the SWiM (or splitter). The other side of the power inserter connects to the receiver or splitter as needed.

Red --> Power side (Don't connect to receiver)

White --> To IRDs (Receivers)

11. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Does an HR20 require anything special, I have read on Solid Signal that it requires a Band Stop filter even if you have a DECA unit attached. Is that correct?

12. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    An HR20-100 requires a different setup than other receivers, but an HR20-700 does not. See the sticky regarding the HR20-100 at the top of this forum.

13. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Once SWM is installed you can store the B-Band Converters in a desk drawer, they aren't needed.

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you keep what you have and just add a Zinwell 6X8 Switch (only one part to purchase)

Run the four outputs from the Dish to the Four inputs of the 6x8 then it will give you 8 tuner outputs so you can keep your Two DVR's (4 ports) with 4 extra ports to add additional receivers.

15. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Actually I have been having trouble with the current LNB. That's what prompted me to start this whole exercise. I figured might as well replace it with a SWM unit and it kinda snowballed from there.

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Upgrading to SWM isn't hard if you use resources/people here. I can't even lift a screwdriver (disabled with Muscular Dystrophy), but I learned what was needed here & had a buddy help me by me giving directions to swap out an old 4-port LNB to a SWM LNB, splitter, PI, DECA, & DECA PI.

17. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Well I have everything purchased an on it's way. DirecTV gave me a free HD Receiver to boot. So now I just gotta put it all together. Should be fun. I haven't touched the dish since put it up 2 and a half years ago.

18. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Completed my upgrade yesterday. Went from 5LNB Slimline to SL3 SWM with DECA and also added a 3rd receiver.

It went pretty well, I was able to use the 4 original runs of cable, luckily I had a DVR in the basement a few years back so I resurrected those lines. I placed the bridge to my LAN in the family room with the HR20 since I already had a run from my switch there, I also put the power to my SWM there also. While I was at it I peaked my dish, in the 3 plus years since I put it up Ka band signals had dropped to 60-70 range on most transponders, there are now back up in the mid nineties(sweet!).

Initial observations.. MRV works exactly the same as when I had it hooked up to my gigabit switch, no faster or slower at anything that I could tell. DECA is nice though since I now have three receivers only taking up 1 port and it has worked flawlessly so far, just plug and play. Also it is nice, and a little weird at first, to only hook up 1 sat line to my 2-tuner DVR.

Overall I like it. And I hopefully am future proofed for at least a little while.

Thanks to all for the install advice! It was very helpful!

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Congrats

20. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Similar story. I started with a SWM8 to get get the additional RF gain for reduced rain fade. Once I had the SWM8, all I needed for MRV was a "green" splitter and a BSF. Once I had MRV working, all I needed for D*oD was a DECA module / PI.

The only problem I had setting up MRV was that an out-of-the-box HR24-500 was inexplicably set for Ethernet instead of DECA (?????) and tech support did not have a clue. D*oD via DECA was a piece of cake; no UPnP, no DNS changes, no port forwarding, just hook it up and go.