1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Install Failed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cukoz, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1 of 23
    cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Its been awhile since I have been on back on here, but hello to all. I am setting up new service and I thought it best/quicker to do it myself. Of course that isn't becoming true. I am in zip code 54538. I just have the basic receiver (non-hd, non-dvr), and a slimline 5lnb dish. Under the programing it gives me AZ199, Tilt 78, and elevation 36. I tried that for over an hour trying to tune it. At best I was getting one number.

So I selected Oval 3 LNB, and it gives me AZ210, Tilt 71, Elevation 33. I was able to get:

101A 1-8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    9-16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    17-24 0 0 0 0 0 0 50 0
    25-32 67 0 66 0 0 0 0 0

110C na na na na na na na 0
    na 0 na 0 na na na na
    na na na na na na na na
    na na na na na na na na

119B na na na na na na na na
    na na na na na na na na
    na na na na na 0 49 0
    70 0 66 0 0 0 0 0

Anybody help with why I am getting so few signals? When I adjust the dish, signals will get stronger, and weaker, and eventually drop, but I can't get any other transponders to work....

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Scott

2. Jul 3, 2009 #2 of 23
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Go to Dishpointer.com and enter your address.
    Then pick the satellite cluster you want. (IE: dish type.

I entered St. Cloud MN and picked the SL3 cluster and got the following values.
    Latitude: 45.5444°
    Longitude: -94.1969°

Name: DirecTV SL3 (99W, 101W, 103W)

Elevation: 37.1°
    Azimuth (true): 189.5°
    Azimuth (magn.): 187.9°
    Dish Skew: 83.4°

Same values for the 5LNB dish.

Make sure the mast is plumb and the tilt/skew is set correctly.
    Then set the elevation and finally tweak in using the azimuth.
    This should get you very close.

Did you use the correct zipcode in the receiver to get your values?

3. Jul 3, 2009 #3 of 23
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    How old is the old basic receiver you are using?

4. Jul 3, 2009 #4 of 23
    cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    the reciever is about 2 years old

5. Jul 3, 2009 #5 of 23
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What is the make and model number for that receiver?

6. Jul 3, 2009 #6 of 23
    cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    can't find it on the box, but is the small silver box.

7. Jul 3, 2009 #7 of 23
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds like a member of the D11 family.

8. Jul 3, 2009 #8 of 23
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    when you installed the mast did you use a level? it needs to be perfectly level both ways or none of those numbers mean anything and it will be hard to do without a comapss and meter. how are you tuning it ? do you have someone inside while you are outside moving it ?

9. Jul 3, 2009 #9 of 23
    beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    The coordinates for the oval 3 sat will be different than for the Slimline 5. AFAIK, the D11 doesn't have an option for the 5LNB dish to get the coordinates. What jdspencer said should work.

10. cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Well I do have the option of either Round, Oval 2, Oval 3, or slimline 3 or 5lnb. I guess my question is since I only want regular "digital" not hd, should I be using the settings on the Oval 3 or for the actual dish, which is a 5lnb. I am getting more luck with the oval three as mention, getting about half the transponders.

If I try the setting for the 5lnb I can't get squat.

Should I be getting readings from all 32 transponders in 101a and all 11 on 119? I think the locals on on 110, which I won't get here without a seperate dish.

As far as the install the bubble on the mast is exactly level. I wonder if one of the 4 connectors at the hub (the piece that sticks out in front of the dish). For a test can I only connect one of those 4 directly to the reciever?

11. cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I was able to look up the model online at directv. It is the d11 - 100. Not sure why I have the option for slimline 5lnb, but I do. If I am not going to use HD, because this is not an HD reciever, should I just use the setting on the oval 3 then?

12. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    You must use the option for the dish you have: SL5. If you don't the settings won't be accurate for 101. Telling the receiver it is a SL5 may alter signaling so the electronics in the LNB work properly so the LNB will send the correct satellite to the receiver when it is requested.

I entered your zipcode into my HR20 and set LNB to Slimline 5 and got Azim: 198, Elev: 36, Tilt 79, with is pretty close to your numbers, but not exact.

Note the numbers are different for the old 3 LNB dish compared to the new Slimline, as the Slimline was designed to get a wider range of satellites and I believe it keys off a different satellite.

Looking at the numbers you say you where you are getting a small signal (most of the transponders should lite up on 101), you are probably pointing west far enough where the 101 LNB is picking up 110.

I would not necessarily trust the bubble on the mast it will be off if it is not pressed in or the pipe was cut square to the mast. I have a six inch level with two magnet strips and horizontal and vertical levels. I put it on the mast and rotate it around, making sure the bubble doesn't move. Then the mast is perfectly vertical.

13. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    The 3lnb and 5lnb options in the menu are only relevant to aiming coordinates. Whichever you set it to, the signaling instructions from the box to the dish are exactly the same 13v/18v with or without 22khz tone. The HD boxes use the same stack, just expanded a bit around the original stack plan. So, from a functional standpoint, set it to either. For coordinates, using the 5lnb option would of course be the best bet. The slimline is designed to center on the 101 sat, while the Phase 3 centers on the 110. Using aiming coordinates for a Phase 3 on a slimline would not provide you with the desired results.

Dependent upon where your locals come from (101 or 119) you may even see no difference at all selecting a single lnb round dish from the menu. All SD content with the exception of some local markets comes from 101 anyway. You'll notice that the "round" setting on your receiver has corresponding azimuth and elevation settings to the "5lnb" option because both center on the 101 sat. Round just doesn't provide you with any tilt settings, because it is meant for a dish with no tilt adjustment.

14. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
  15. cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Well this is getting weird. So from the info here I am using the az199, EL 36, and Tilt 79, which is the coordinates based on the multi-sat 5lnb setting in the D11-100 reciever. I am now getting all numbers on the 110 and 119 sat perfectly, but getting 0s for 101. Yesterday when I used the 3lnb settings az 210, el 33, and tilt 71, I was getting have of the 101s, half the 119, and none of the 110.

Am I in an area that would require two satellites for some reason?

For simplicty reasons I have only hooked up 1 cable to 1 output on the satelite (of the 4) and have the running directly to the tv.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The three transponders you are seeing on 101 are actually 110. You are aimed about 10 degrees too far to the west (could be 8 to 12 or so degrees). Swing the mast east until you find signal, then adjust for peak.

17. cukoz

cukoz Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    do you mean the three transponders on 110 are really 101?

18. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    When you use the Oval dish aiming parameters, you are actually physically pointing the 101 LNB on the dish at the 110 satellite, which is wrong and why you only see three transponders. The receivers and LNBs do not differentiate between satellites, just that they get a signal (any signal!) from a transponder from a satellite broadcasting a compatible signal. So it is easy to confuse 101 and 110.

Set the dish to the SL5 settings and repoint. When you see 101, 110 and 119 should (usually with tweaking) line up.

I would set the azimuth first, then adjust the elevation up and down until you see 101. Then adjust tilt to bring in 110 and 119. You may have to go back and forth between azimuth, elevation and tilt, if the mast is not plumb. The fine tuning of the dish parameters is needed for 99 and 103 and require a decent signal meter and really requires the mast be plumb to minimize interactions between each fine adjustment. Since you are only using it for an SD receiver, manually tweaking should be accomplishable.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes,

The KU sats are nine degrees apart...West Longitude above the equator in the Clarke Belt in stationary orbit. The 101 position is nine degrees east of the 110 position and the 119 position is another nine degrees west of the 110.

99 101 103 110 119

The tilt setting allows the dish to view the same plane..just set it to the published spec.

The 99 & 103 positions are KA sats positioned about three degrees on either side of the 101. As Carl6 mentioned, you have hit the wrong sat....probably the 110....with fewer active transponders. Set your menu for the 101 sat and swing the dish left nine degrees and a little.

Joe

20. Spoffo

Spoffo Legend

Dec 31, 2006
    You should be able to get the 101 signals with a pretty primitive alignment. The signal is VERY broad and strong, which is why the old single-sat dishes were often self-installed successfully.

As others have suggested, try swinging 9 or 10 degrees east, as soon as you're reasonably close, you'll start seeing some kind of signal strength on all of the 101 transponders (except #18 and #26, which are zero). This is unmistakable when you get it, because no other satellite fills more than about half of those 32 slots, and none has as broad a signal as you swing the dish though it.

Once you're definitely getting 101, refine the aim by going back and forth in azimuth and elevation seeking ever stronger signal readings. At the end, try as hard as you can to set each in the exact center of the strongest signal by noting the positions on either side where it falls off an equal amount and splitting the difference.

If you're careful enough (and if your mast is truly plumb) this position should give you some measurable strength on the other sats, which you can then improve through the same process, making very slight adjustments.