DLB on HR20... no, but kind of?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dwlevy, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know the HR20s don't have DLBs per se like the HR10-250s (major shortcoming in my opinion but I digress), but last night I encountered something interesting. Please follow along.

We have a series link for the 11:00pm news on KABC (ch7 in Los Angeles) and because my wife records CSI:NY, my controllable tuner was set to channel 2 when I turned on the TV at about 10:50pm. After CSI:NY ended, I started watching the channel 2 news. After about 15 minutes, I brought up the recording of the channel 7 news from the playlist and started watching it. Note: I did not change channels on the tuner.

Near the end of the News they had a blurb for the upcoming episode of Nightline and it looked interesting. I looked at the clock and it was already 11:45pm. I had missed the first 10 minutes. I called up the guide and clicked to record Nightline anyway.

After a few more minutes when I had finished watching the news, I went back to the playlist and selected the recording of Nightline. To my surprise, it had recorded from the beginning of the program. It started from the exact moment the ch7 news recording had ended.

If the second tuner doesn't have a buffer, how could the HR20 have recorded the first ten minutes of the program? Do the HR20s actually have a second recording buffer but only lack a user accessible way to switch between them?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This sort of behavior can happen under certain circumstances... in this case tuner 1 was already on KABC for example. It's too unpredictable to use though.

There is no second "buffer" but there are two tuners of course.

3. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Check out this thread, dwlevy

4. dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, cygnusloop. I missed that one. I wish I had seen that before I watched the USC / UCLA game last weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.