DBSTalk Forum banner

DLP Lamp and Housing

17K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  dontknow 
#1 ·
I want to have a spare lamp on hand for my Samsung HLS5687WX/XAA and find some sites far more reasonably priced than samsung.

What I am wondering is they offer the housing for add'l $20. Do I really need that? They say it makes it easier. Is it hard to remove the bulb from the housing? Doesn't seem like it would be 'rocket science' but who knows. If its a pain, then maybe its worth the $20

Does anyone have any advice regarding that.

Does the picture on this url at the top showing the housing or is that the lamp without the housing. I have never looked at mine, so at this stage its all new and unknown. Thanks for any help
http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/Samsung_BP96_01472A_Lamp_p/bp96-01472a.htm?gclid=CO2O1sXD8JcCFQMCagod6yVMCg

#2 ·
I have replaced the bulb on a few different models, but not Samsung. On a couple the housing and bulb were attached, on the others it was pretty easy to remove the bulb from the housing and put the new bulb in. One only need a couple screws removed and one was snap-in. Either way it shouldn't be much trouble.

#4 ·
You could order it from: http://www.advancedlamps.com/product_info.php?products_id=5227 for $105 + shipping but it includes the housing as well. I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago for a lamp & housing for my panasonic tv but it was on backorder but should be here monday. I never ordered from them before, so I can't say how they are yet.

Thanks.

Jason Pollard

#5 ·
Thanks for all that info. I appreciate it. That $105 looks 'too good to be true' I wonder if its a Phillips. I read somewhere not to get OEM as the picture qulaity may not be as good. Not sure how true that is, this sure looks like a great deal.

#6 ·
I ordered from them for my JVC lamps & housing. Pretty quick response, fair prices and all you would expect from a good online dealer.

Fortunately when I ordered, the ones I needed were $92 so I ordered two. I'm real glad I did that as the new price is $121.

#7 ·
Side Note:
When you change the lamp (Did you Know) that you must reset the lamp hours in the TV Firmware.

You have to get there by using the remote (Code to get to the tech admin section), I don't have the code for Samsung but you need to reset it if you replace the lamp.

#8 ·
wow, no I sure didn't know that. I wonder if they tell you in the directions how to do it. can always call samsung I guess if I have to. what happens if you don't do this? Thanks for the info.

#9 ·
HolmesCo said:
wow, no I sure didn't know that. I wonder if they tell you in the directions how to do it. can always call samsung I guess if I have to. what happens if you don't do this? Thanks for the info.
I would think nothing. I suspect it's like not resetting the trip meter in your car when you fill up. You jus won't know how many hours you have on the current lamp.

#10 ·
WestDC said:
Side Note:
When you change the lamp (Did you Know) that you must reset the lamp hours in the TV Firmware.

You have to get there by using the remote (Code to get to the tech admin section), I don't have the code for Samsung but you need to reset it if you replace the lamp.
On my HL-R4266W, when the TV is off, I press Mute 1 8 2 Power on the remote.

Also, I just replaced the lamp in this set a couple weeks ago with an original lamp from Advanced Lamps. It was $118, including the housing. A very good deal, I think. Just look on the back of the set for a sticker with the lamp code and you'll get the right one.

#11 ·
One reason it would be easier with the housing is that the housing makes it much easier to not touch the bulb itself. If you touch the bulb with bare hands, the oil on your hands will significantly reduce the life of the bulb. A cheap pair of new, clean cotton gloves will prevent this problem.

#12 ·
bakers12 said:
On my HL-R4266W, when the TV is off, I press Mute 1 8 2 Power on the remote.

Also, I just replaced the lamp in this set a couple weeks ago with an original lamp from Advanced Lamps. It was $118, including the housing. A very good deal, I think. Just look on the back of the set for a sticker with the lamp code and you'll get the right one.
yes that does seem great, Is it aa Phillips? I guess thats what samsung uses. Not sure if an 'oem' is a bad idea or not. Usually oem is fine. Did you notice any degradation in the picture or anything.

I had no idea you could find out how much time you have used your lamp. how many hours are we supposed to get on dlp?

#13 ·
IIP said:
One reason it would be easier with the housing is that the housing makes it much easier to not touch the bulb itself. If you touch the bulb with bare hands, the oil on your hands will significantly reduce the life of the bulb. A cheap pair of new, clean cotton gloves will prevent this problem.
yes I agree, I remember years ago I worked as a tech in AV dept in a college and projector bulbs etc they always told us not to touch with our hands for that very reason. Thanks fro reminding me.

#14 ·
IIP said:
THIS is the main reason to buy the bulb in the housing. It would be a real shame to unintentionally touch the bulb with your hands and cut the life of the bulb in half or worse. Of course, I've learned to change the bulb on my Optoma projector with my feet, so I don't have that problem. ;)

#15 ·
Don't feel too badly....I bought a spare for my projector about 2 months ago for $400 (lamp and housing is one unit together).

I have over 3600 hours on the projector on the original lamp - its supposed to last 2000-2500 hours according to the owners manual. Woo Hoo. :)

#19 ·
I have a Toshiba DLP and have never been able to find the lamp without the housing. I'm sure the lamp would be much cheaper without the housing and that's probably why the dealers won't sell the lamp by itself.

Dave

#20 ·
jep8821 thanks for the link, they have some nice prices there. I can get 2 lamps for my Sony for the same price that I paid for my current backup lamp ;)

#22 ·
This discussion poses a question I have to the DLP veterans out there...

Should one change a lamp when the typical number of hours has transpired, or does one wait until it doesn't turn on? I ask because with the Super Bowl coming up, I have about 3,500 hrs on my Samsung 50" DLP. I already have a spare bulb and was expecting to change it when the current one goes out. This has yet to happen. So…should I change it now before the big game, or simply wait until it casts its last light…?:confused:

#23 ·
WestDC said:
Side Note:

Had my lamp replace a few months ago and did not need to rest the hours when the new lamp was installed they reset on there own i have the HL-S6187W

#24 ·
erosroadie said:
This discussion poses a question I have to the DLP veterans out there...

Should one change a lamp when the typical number of hours has transpired, or does one wait until it doesn't turn on? I ask because with the Super Bowl coming up, I have about 3,500 hrs on my Samsung 50" DLP. I already have a spare bulb and was expecting to change it when the current one goes out. This has yet to happen. So…should I change it now before the big game, or simply wait until it casts its last light…?:confused:
Honest to God I have over 14,000 hours on my original lamp.

Lamp life varies, and there are things you can do to extend the life. But in no way shape or form can anyone truly predict how long your lamp will really last.

If your incoming power and user habits suck, it could pop in days, or it could last years if you condition your power and baby your on and off habits.

Jason

#26 ·
Jason Nipp said:
Not to mention the oil from your skin will damage the lamp. Touching the lamp with your skin is a sure way to limit the life expectancy of the lamp.
That's even on the documention for my lamp assembly for my projector and for my RP 3-chip LCD units.

In the case of my projector...it's well-encased in a metal housing completely around the lamp...so there's little chance of touching it, without some intentional effort to do so.

I always use a clean (lint-free) cloth to hold things, as not to drop them or create surface moisture...the utlimate source of future problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.