1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA'S Transferring to Eastern Arc

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tsmacro, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Got a message that just said the following today, for whatever it's worth:

DMAs transitioning from Western Arc to Eastern Arc effective April 21, 2010:

Albany, NY

Binghamton, NY

Bluefield, WV

Buffalo, NY

Burlington, VT

Columbus, GA

Elmira, NY

Flint, MI

Lake Charles, LA

Portland, ME

Presque Isle, ME

Salisbury, MD

Springfield, MA

Syracuse, NY

Utica, NY

Watertown, NY

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    This will be great news for some people ...

3. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Binghamton, NY? Transitioning? Transitioning from no service to anything would be great. This I have to see to believe!

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Do you have a list of all current EA markets?

5. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Yes, it IS good news! :D :joy:

_______

On the other hand, I just ordered a 1000.2 roof-top automatic dish for the motorhome that may be obsolete before it even arrives! :bang

Of course, I'd probably go ahead and get that one anyway, since nobody offers a similar unit with a 1000.4 dish and LNB. :rolleyes: Perhaps the good news in all of this is that with more markets being on EA, maybe there will be more demand for an automatic mobile 1000.4, and they will offer one in the future. (Fortunately, this system uses the same motorized mount for multiple reflector/LNB combinations, and some day I may be able to upgrade just those parts to make it a 1000.4?)

6. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    According to this page of the Echostar Knowledge Base, these are the original EA markets:

[​IMG]

So far as I know, this current set of EA additions is the first change to that list. Does anybody know if there were additional EA markets added between now and the original implementation?

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I KNOW Raleigh NC is an Eastern ARC market - you can also do a Western ARC (110/119/129) if you have tree problems. For me personally (trees) - Eastern Arc will be a better solution.

8. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    There were several markets added as I recall. I know Atlanta was added like 2 or 3 months after the EA rollout.

9. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Actually you can get service in the Binghamton DMA, just not with locals. But to be honest when I saw that list since I recognized that several of those DMA's don't have locals I did ask if that this means they should be getting locals soon also. I expected the standard "soon" answer, but I actually got a "not at this time".

10. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Not really no, at least not one that's easily copy and pasteable. We have a list that lists all the DMA's on an excel document where we punch in a zip code and it gives us info on the DMA it's in including whether it's EA or WA.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    There were, though I'm not sure they all got mentioned on the boards and I may have missed some that were. Look for (EA) on http://www.dishuser.org/hdlocal.php (since EA markets have HD locals or at least require an MPEG-4 receiver). There is a lookup tool at http://www.dishretailer.com/csr/.

12. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    That tool gives me EA for Minneapolis--WRONG.

13. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Well, using that logic, I come up with 60 entries, which surprises me that there's so many (although it's entirely possible I mis-interpreted the data, especially for a few that show deletion dates.)

Blindly taking each row that has an "(EA)" in the last column, and applying no other inteligence to the data, I come up with:
    Abilene/Sweetwater, TX
    Atlanta
    Austin, TX
    Baltimore
    Beaumont
    Birmingham, AL
    Boston
    Charleston, WV
    Charlotte
    Chattanooga, TN
    Chicago, IL
    Cincinnati, OH
    Cleveland
    Columbia, MO
    Columbia, SC
    Dallas
    Des Moines, IA
    Detroit, MI
    Florence, SC
    Ft Myers, FL
    Grand Rapids
    Green Bay
    Greensboro, NC
    Greenville, SC
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hartford, CT
    Huntsville, AL
    Jackson, MS
    Jacksonville, FL
    Joplin, MO
    Knoxville, TN
    Lansing, MI
    Lexington, KY
    Little Rock, AR
    Louisville, KY
    Madison, WI
    Memphis, TN
    Milwaukee, WI
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mobile, AL
    Nashville
    New York City
    Norfolk, VA
    Omaha, NE
    Orlando, FL
    Philadelphia, PA
    Providence
    Quincy, IL
    Raleigh
    Richmond, VA
    Scranton, PA
    Sherman-Ada
    South Bend, IN
    Springfield, MO
    St. Louis, MO
    Topeka, KS
    Waco, TX
    Washington DC
    West Palm Beach
    Wichita Falls, TX​

I make no representation as to the accuracy of this data. Anybody who knows better, please offer any and all corrections. ;)

14. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    But Minneapolis was on the original list of EA cities, back when the EA was first announced? :confused:

15. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Maybe, but WA works better even though 129 is a degree lower than 61.5. For our spotbeams the transponders on 61.5 seem to be failing. Whereas on 129 they are strong and steady.

16. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    That may all be very true, but it doesn't change Minneapolis from being eligible for EA. Being an EA city doesn't necessarily mean that WA won't work, and I guess it also doesn't necessarily mean that EA is the best choice. :shrug:

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Keep in mind there are some DMAs (such as mine in Raleigh / Durham NC) that can currently be done with both Eastern arc and western arc. I have no idea how long Dish will be keeping that for those affected cities.

18. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    At this point, I would think that likely applies to all current and future EA DMAs.

Any EA cities will probably remain on WA (or a hybrid combination like 110/119/61.5) for quite a while. They can't remove them from the WA until they have switched over all of the current customers to EA. But since their policy has been to use EA only for new installs, and not switch over existing customers (except on a limited case-by-case basis) they could have existing WA customers for a long time...

19. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Some DMA's (like mine: Cleveland) was originally on the EA and then later on was added to 129. That was actually a wise move on E* part, since there are early adopters of E* HD service that got a 1000.2 dish installed before the EA locals were launched and were never switched to a 1000.4 (I saw at least one in my neighborhood). That rule about installing EA only for new customers makes no sense if the current customers are not getting all the channels they subscribe.

There are 3 DMA lists needed: EA only, WA only and both.

20. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Or maybe 4? EA, WA, both, and neither? Some markets, like Buffalo, have all of their SD locals on the WA birds, and the few locals in HD are on an EA bird. So we need two dishes, one to pick up the WA 110/199, and a separate one to pick up the EA 61.5. We're kind of like an orphan child, not really belonging to either arc.

Now that Buffalo has been added to the list of upcoming EA markets, it will finally mean we can have a single dish HD solution (once the move actually gets implemented.) It will also mean that we can finally get those new HD channels introduced last month without setting up a dish for a fourth orbital slot.

Being in the position where I can't get the new HD channels with my current setup, I very much agree. When we finally come live on EA, I will see if I can get them to upgrade me. If not, I will still go ahead and get my own 1000.4 and put it up myself, just so I can get rid of the second dish, and also to get the newest HD channels.