1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS and Feb 2009

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chdoud, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    I have been a D* customer since 1995 and have had DNS since then. I live in an area where D* does not offer Locals and we only have NBC that is close enough for my 8' directional antenna. D* is not going to provide locals any time some in our area. Now if I were 20 miles south of here I would be in a LOCAL area and I would be happy to get the locals.

I am thinking about moving to HD but not sure if I have a compelling reason at this time. Well I do but my wife is not sure.

My question revolves around DNS stations on the 380s after the analog goes away?
    I believe today they are MPEG2 conversions of the analog feeds.
    Do you think they will continue to provide some form of those feeds either the SD or some converted version of the HD feeds?

We currently have both the East and West feeds and use them for recording prime time network programming. Looking at other threads I see HD DNS service seems to be different in that they either provide the East or West cost feeds. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Going to HD at this point will have no bearing on the 380s in MPEG2/SD. You would still be able to receive those today with a new HD receiver just like you do with an SD receiver.

Where you are going to find your troubles are when the Analog stations go off of the air completely in February 2009. The SD DNS that you have now are via waivers, especially if you have both sets. These are very likely analog-only waivers meaning that you would also need digital waivers to receive the HD versions of these channels. From what I understand, there are very few HD waivers that were granted on a individual basis.

There were, however, a number of areas in the country in which blanket digital waivers for a period of time. I fall under that category because the stations here in the bay area are owned an operated .. In addition to the local channels, I also get HD from LA at the moment. That may or may not change depending on whether or not those digital waivers stay or go.

In your case, with analog waivers, you will find in February next year that you have waivers for something that no longer exists. As a result, your channels should go dark. Even if you are grandfathered, you are grandfathered for something that simply won't be there anymore.

The good news is that you won't have to pay the extra fee for those channels, but the bad news of course is that you will no longer have access to that programming. Good luck and enjoy the next 12 months until it goes away.

--

As a side note, the DTV conversion which causes all Analog TV to stop over-the-air broadcasts will, in general, not affect anyone with DIRECTV service. This will only affect folks that have over-the-air service using NTSC (or analog) transmissions. The situation I described above is a side-effect for folks getting Distant Network Service (DNS) via the waiver process or grandfathering (you know who you are).

3. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    If I understand:
    If I upgrade to HD I will not be provided with any DNS HD service, only the 380s as I get it today. Then next year those will go black.
    I would think that I should be able to get a Fox HD feed since there are no Fox affliates within 100 miles.

4. BGreen965

BGreen965 Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    To me, it sounds like the op is outside of a local market and would still qualify for the HD-DNS stations except for maybe NBC. If you visit http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx and enter in the information Directv will tell you if you will be able to receive HD-DNS stations. I also find it hard to believe that the SD-DNS will just be cut off on Feb 17, 2009. There are a lot of eligible people with SD only equipment.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It is entirely possible. However, the waiver rules have become much more strict today than they used to be and HD requires digital waivers. The analog waivers are not sufficient.

6. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You will need to ask DIRECTV this question, but I would expect that you would qualify. If your local stations are (1) close enough and (2) already in HD, you could conceivably use an antenna with an HR20 or HR21 (+ soon to be released AM21 add-on) to get your local channels in HD.

Unless the CSR finds that you shouldn't have DNS then I see no reason why you would not continue to receive your DNS on any of the new HD receivers. The channels will, of course, be in SD but you should be able to watch them.

7. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Does DNS mean distant network stations? If so they are HD out of NY in my case. Channel 82 NBC, 86 ABC, 88 Fox

If it doesn't mean distant networks forget I typed this LOL

8. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    One of the reasons I like the DVR is to record network programing. But I understand the HR21 does not have a digital receiver. Are you saying D* is providing a digital recevier to patch into the 21????

9. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    As I recall, there are analog distant locals and digital distant locals. So, when analog broadcasting sunsets, so will the analog distant locals.

The digital distant qualification will be used.

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    chdoud, I think you will be OK. I think you'll get most of the networks in HD from DirecTV. According to the DirecTV DNS qualification utility linked to upthread, I couldn't get the digital broadcast by my local Fox station with an antenna (it was also accurate - I couldn't). It sounds like you'll be in a similar situation with everybody except NBC. See what the utility says for you.

When I called into DirecTV, I kept referring back to to the utility with the CSRs. Being unable to receive the digital signal from my local Fox according to it was the golden key for me. You'll get transferred to a special DNS department and they'll fill out forms to email to your closest stations. The stations still need to sign off. I never got one negative "you don't qualify" word from anybody.

I then did what everyone says not to do. I contacted my local Fox station. I found out who their "waiver coordinator" was with a phone call. Their receptionist told me. From the station's website, I got his email and sent him a nice note asking that he be on the look out for the email from DirecTV. Again I referred back to the DNS utility. People like computers telling them what to do. :D

The whole process took only a week. I now have the NYC Fox Network station in HD. It's channel 88. I don't think there is any way you'll get the west coast feed, too. Everyone I talked to said absolutely no.

And there is nothing on my bill for it. I do read the February price increase saying this might cost me $1.99 a month but I can afford that. Maybe somebody can clear up whether there will be this charge.

I hope this helps.

11. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008

Thanks that does help.... I went through the process in Knoxville when I moved there and had no problems.
    I agree with you that the person to person contact is important and will head that way for sure. I sure hate to lose those East-West feeds but looks like that will end.....

12. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Doug... found the thread on the AM21 so that may help me... I will have to upgrade my antenna wiring and might have to put in a preamp but I am a retired man and like playing with stuff anyway....

13. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    SD channels are digital signals, they are not HD signals. thats why you get pictalation.

Don't panic until something happens. The world isn't going all HD on Feb 2009. its not.

plus D* will have to have this type of programing for its camping people. so again. lets all wait and see what is what. I am not giving up my DNS until they absolutely rip them from me.

14. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    and don't go by that chart that says you CAN get a certain channel. Why because it says that I get CBS as a class A channel. what it doesn't take into account is the bluff of iron that is in my backyard. When I had the signal meter check done, the meter was OFF THE CHART for being low. -29 on the scale. so don't take that stuff just cuz a chart some where else, that doesn't know your personal situation, says so.

15. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    I am not planning on giving them up without a fight.
    What I am concerned about now is if I upgrade to HD what is D* going to try take away.
    I only plan to upgrade one of my receivers so don't what to loose the DNS feeds in the 380s.

16. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I hope you're right, but I'm pretty certain that they'll go away along with the analog signals on 2/17/09. :(

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I doubt SD DNS or LIL will disappear. Currently at our LIL, Directv is getting the SD LIL signals off the air from the network stations DIGITAL transmitters, cropping the 16:9 into 4:3 and sending it out. I would imagine they will do this for SD DNS also. They have lots of RV and trucker subs out there that rely on the DNS for network programming.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I would have to believe this as well. The problem is not that DIRECTV would be unable to deliver you the analog version, the problem will be that the analog version will not exist to be delivered to you ..

Who knows, maybe something will be worked out, but I'm doubtful that it things will be different than that.

19. tms

tms AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    I currently have waviers for all of the networks. SD for east and west, and HD for the east feeds.

My question is this. Isn't there a difference between digital SD and digital HD. My local NBC station, currently broadcasts analog and digital. The digital is NOT HD. Once Feb 09 comes, will national HD feeds be available to those of us living in SMALL markets. Or, will we be held hostage by our local affiliates who choose not to go HD?

BTW: Once I received the HD feeds, I no longer watch the SD versions. No need to.

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's digital vs. analog .. SD or HD doesn't matter except that I don't think anyone transmits HD in analog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.