1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Waiver

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Dov Rollins, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dov Rollins

Dov Rollins New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Hi I live in the San Frnnsisco Bay Area and I have a waiver from 2004 in the system for DNS East West. DIrectv has told me they have local channels in my area so I no longer can have access to DNS. I haven't had DNS since 2004-2005 can you please help me getting there DNS channels for an old waicer ub tge durectv system. I thought once you have a waiver its good for now on..

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You said you haven't had DNS since 2004-2005? I believe once you have DNS the only way to lose it is to stop service. So if you cancelled service/DNS back in 2004, I don't think you can get it back (unless you're in one of the very few areas in the US where they don't have locals).

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish has essentially ZERO DMAs without locals, and Direct has the vast majority of them covered. If you canceled them, you have probably lost them forever unless you live in one the the few DMAs whose locals are not on DBS. A location would help greatly.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    What Dish does with Distant Networks is to import larger DMAs into DMAs that don't have the networks - example - St Joseph Mo imports a number of the Kansas City locals.

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    THe rule with waivers has been the same for a long time. The law stated if you had an approved waiver before your DMA launched LIL then you couldn’t keep them and get tournament DMA’s locals. But should you ever remove them, you can’t get them back as you wouldn’t qualify for a distant network signal since you wouldn’t be getting an equal channel already in your local lineup from said provider. These been rumored you can’t change TV packages either. Some people lost their DNS because they move. It does not matter if you move next door, if you change your address, you have to reapply for waivers. So long sorry short, if you have DNS ( like I do), better think twice about ever giving them up up.

6. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    I've moved and changed service address three times since getting my waivers in 1999, and never had to reapply for them. We guard our waivers like Fort Knox guards gold, baby!

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have NBC DNS and didn't lose it when moving DMAs or downgrading packages.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The exception to the this is RV’s. They always qualify. Residential should have to requalify each time. If DIRECTV does that or not, that’s up to them but that’s the law. Dish Network had their right to provide DNS revoked because they were not following the law.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    After you moved, were locals available Ron you from that DMA? If they weren’t, DNS couldn’t have automatically been granted.