1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all Slimline 5 LNBs mount the same?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vfr781rider, Nov 13, 2009.

1. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    I need a replacement LNB for my Slimline 5 that was installed by D*. Looking at the ones on eBay, I'm not sure, but it seems the WNC ones have a different 'mount' than the one on my current dish. Do all of the Slimline 5 dishes have the same LNB mount or can they be different?

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes, their exterior appearance might be different but they all mount the same.
    This was one of the goals of the slimline design.

3. vfr781rider

vfr781rider Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Gladeville, TN
    Thanks.

4. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Although I have seen a few reflectors that have a different hole pattern and the base unit had to be changed as well.

Overall however the AU-9's should be interchangable. The base mount have two different fine tuning layouts but either works the same.

Doctor j

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The original Ka/Ku dish was the AT9, also known as the "sidecar" or "backboard" dish. These abominations were made by 4 different companies, with LNBs and dish design unique to each company, and with "keys" on the LNBs in different places to ensure that LNBs weren't used with another brand of dish. From a support point of view, it was a disaster.

The Slimline design, the AU9, was far more standardized. Any Slimline can accept any Slimline LNB from any manufacturer, and the interface from the dish to the AZ/EL fine tuning mechanism is standard. However, unfortunately, the dish reflector, tilt, and LNB arm assemblies are still unique to each manufacturer and can't be interchanged. IMO, DirecTV really dropped the ball by not standardizing the entire dish design, so that parts could be interchanged between manufacturers, but that's a long-standing problem going back to the 18" "round" dishes.

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    +1

Also, I'd like to see a smaller design altogether. Those E* 1000.x dishes look like a dream compared to the slimline.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Smaller dishes = lower gain, which might be an issue for Ka-band (which Dish doesn't use).