Do current DTV DVR's have Wi-Fi built in?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    In the past, to get network connections to a DVR such as the HR24, you either needed to plug in an Ethernet cable, or you needed a CCK Cinema Connection Kit, which was a real pain if all you had was a switch, not a router.

Do all the current DVR's being provided by DTV have real built-in Wi-Fi, where it's easy to connect to your home network?

I'm tempted to tell DTV that my HR-24 is broken, and let them send me whatever they select as a repair. If it doesn't have the ability to connect to Wi-Fi, there are work-arounds, but a Wi-Fi connection would simplify things.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you replace a broken HR24 you will just get another one to replace it.
    Yes, you can use what they call a Wireless Video Bridge to turn an HR24 into a wireless connection to the internet.

The newer models, HR44, 54 and the HS17 all have wireless connections to the internet built into them.

4. djmaxwell

djmaxwell Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    What is your setup that you don't have a router?

The HR-44 has WiFi, but they will probably send you a replacement HR-24.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You can also run a 2nd router in bridge mode and hardwire into the 2nd router as well. That's what I do. That's going to be your best option if you have a faster ISP.

6. provasek

provasek New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have an HR44 that is in the next room to where my WiFi router (TL-WR940N) is located. I bored a 1 inch hole through the sheetrock wall to run an ethernet cable from the router to the HR44. The Directv installer connected it to my WiFi and almost daily problems of stalled downloads and pixilated on demand programs due to the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band and certain wireless problems that can be solved only by rebooting the router. No such problems with the wired ethernet connection, so I am not sure why you would want to go to a WiFi connection

7. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    'provasek', my home was remodeled, and there is no longer a carpet that that allows an Ethernet cable to be pulled across under it. There is no convenient way to get a network wired connection for the receiver.

I now have a shiny new HR54, works perfectly. I avoided the Genie 2 because of user feedback.

8. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    My HR44 is connected to Verizon Fios internet. I use wifi from the router to the receiver. My Samsung smart tv, ADT alarm system, Chromecast, my HP computer and receiver are all connected to the router. It all works like a charm. No issues or drop outs at all! Go VERIZON!

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png It's always better to go wired whenever you can.

10. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
  11. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I bought one of those kits where you plug the router or switch into one adapter that plugs into an AC outlet, and a similar adapter plugs into an AC plug near the DVR, and I connect by cable, using the house wiring for part of the connection.

I also bought the Google WiFi "Mesh" system - supposedly I can buy another unit and plug the DVR into this device for a connection. Google handles all the details.

It's way down on my to-do list; things are working fine as they are now.

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Your HR24 will connect wirelessly with your HR54 with no additional equipment.

13. djmaxwell

djmaxwell Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    How so? The HR24 doesn't have wireless capability.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you connect to the internet with the 54,
    then the 24 will have that same access using it's coax connection to the system. On these new systems you only need one of the receivers connected to the internet for them all to share.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He's gonna wonder how that can be called "wireless". I've always wondered about this.

Rich

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Well, when it runs down the coax to the 54 it joins the 54's wifi adapter and now it is wireless.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Doesn't it use the coax for that? Not trying to argue never really got into how it works. Just know it works and how to hook things up.

Rich

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The HR24 is not wireless by itself. Connected to the 54 thru coax it uses the 54's wireless connection.
    The 24 can be wireless if you have a WVB, wireless video bridge. It plugs into the 24's ethernet connector.
    This is assuming you have a Router that does wireless connections.

ericknolls likes this.
  19. djmaxwell

djmaxwell Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    While that is true, the 24 is still not connected via wireless. How the 54 is connected to the internet is irrelevant to the 24.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your system only needs 1 connection to the internet.
    The HR24 is not a stand alone wireless unit. Correct.
    You could hook up a WVB, Wireless Video Bridge, and then it is wireless.

If you are referencing a wireless connection to the HR54 then NO it no manner will it do that. You would need to swap it out for a wireless client.