Do current DTV DVR's have Wi-Fi built in?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    In the past, to get network connections to a DVR such as the HR24, you either needed to plug in an Ethernet cable, or you needed a CCK Cinema Connection Kit, which was a real pain if all you had was a switch, not a router.

Do all the current DVR's being provided by DTV have real built-in Wi-Fi, where it's easy to connect to your home network?

I'm tempted to tell DTV that my HR-24 is broken, and let them send me whatever they select as a repair. If it doesn't have the ability to connect to Wi-Fi, there are work-arounds, but a Wi-Fi connection would simplify things.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you replace a broken HR24 you will just get another one to replace it.
    Yes, you can use what they call a Wireless Video Bridge to turn an HR24 into a wireless connection to the internet.

The newer models, HR44, 54 and the HS17 all have wireless connections to the internet built into them.

4. djmaxwell

djmaxwell Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    What is your setup that you don't have a router?

The HR-44 has WiFi, but they will probably send you a replacement HR-24.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You can also run a 2nd router in bridge mode and hardwire into the 2nd router as well. That's what I do. That's going to be your best option if you have a faster ISP.