Do Current THR22 owners love it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by bldxyz, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1 of 14
    bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    :confused:Oh, what to do! I've been on the fence about replacing my HR21 with a THR22, and it comes Saturday if I don't call and delay it in the next two days.

Basic question: do people who have the THR22 love it?

Secondary question: were you used to 30-second _skip_, and if so, have you adapted to life without it?

More detail:
    • I owned the early SD DirecTivo, then the HR10 until MPEG-4 came along
    • I have never had a DVR without 30-second skip, and I consider it essential to the DVR experience
    • I have found many things about the DirecTV DVRs lacking. I am not encouraging people to debate my perceptions (as I've posted them in the past and people have challenged my perceptions)
    • I don't care about MRV, Apps, and many of the more modern features DVRs have added in the past few years, though that could change in the next five years. The thing I will miss most is the iPhone app that allows me to tell my DVR to record something when I'm not at home.

2. Feb 1, 2012 #2 of 14
    midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    I have two, one for me and one for my wife. We both love them.

I was a heavy user of the skip, my wife was not. I missed it a little, but have gotten used to using the FF. It works much better than the HR boxes. I still wish I had the option of skip, but it wasn't as bad losing it as I thought it would be.

I don't have an iPhone, but I just tried remote scheduling on my iPod Touch and it worked. I do still have one HR box on my account, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But I checked and it's showing up on my THR To-Do list.

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 14
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I do not have a THR22 and cannot speak to it. However if you do have an HR2x series DVR, it is possible to implement 30 second skip (by entering the keyword search 30SKIP), in case you were not aware of that. I do not believe that works on the THR22.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #4 of 14
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Considering there is not a really good reason to order one of these unless you're a true TiVo fanatic I doubt you'll get many complaints.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #5 of 14
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have a THR22, as of course most of you know.

I like it a lot more than I thought I would. There are, of course, many limitations to it, but the things it does, it does very well. Given the long gestation period, I was expecting it to be bug-free and so far it has been just that for me.

6. Feb 2, 2012 #6 of 14
    dstager

dstager Cool Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Stuart, in the First Look article there is a setup screen and it looks like the skip button can be configured there to be a 30-second skip button. Do I have that right? A lot of the Tivo people are used to the Select-Play-Select-3-0 key sequence to turn that feature on. Have you configured yours on the setup screen and does it work properly if so?

7. Feb 2, 2012 #7 of 14
    bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    Well, this is why I asked if those who have it love it.

I don't know if I would call myself a TiVo fanatic. I do have lots of complaints about the DirecTV DVRs that many in DBSTalk seem dismissive of, or claim I'm living with some fantasy recollection of the HR10. So I have to say I dislike how dismissive people are about the complains on the HR2x machines. I mean, for crying out loud, the Playlist puts "The Office" and "The Simpsons" under "T". My Autorecord for Laker games shows up under "A" (because the syntax of AALL).

But I really wasn't looking for a thread where all the people who are confirmed lovers of the HR2x series chime in. I am looking for people who have the machine to give their opinion.

8. Feb 2, 2012 #8 of 14
    midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    That's not what that option is for. It's for the 30 second scan, or slip as it's called in the HR world. The option is whether the key activates the scan or if, instead, it does a skip to tick.

9. Feb 2, 2012 #9 of 14
    bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    Yep, for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to consider it as fact that the true 30-second skip (where pressing the forward button) cannot, at present, be configured to instantly move forward 30 seconds. It's been asked and answered all over the place.

Owners, speak up.

10. justmeed

justmeed New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Love it. We never used the 30 second skip. Did have an old TiVo that was failing after many years that I'd replaced the hard drive many times. I do miss some of the features I got with the modified software I had. But I'm very happy to have a working TiVo again. Couldn't wait to get rid of the DVR box DT gave me a few months back to hold me over till this cane out.

11. dstager

dstager Cool Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Dumb question, but does a 30 second "slip" move the program forward 30 seconds even if it does not do so instantly? Is it like pressing FF for 30 seconds exactly? I've never had the "slip" feature on any previous DVR. Skip to tick I know about. 30 second skip, yes. Slipping is a new one for me.

I've answered my own question, never mind...

http://news.directv.com/2011/08/05/the-30-second-slip/

I think this is going to be just fine for all the Tivo fans. I'd point people to this if they asked about the missing 30 second skip feature.

12. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    The HR2x has the same thing (which is the default until you enable 30SKIP with the search term by that name). The main issue with it is that if you press the slip button four or five times quickly, it takes effect sequentially, and hence you watch helplessly as it speeds forward past the point you want to reach and you have to wait for it before you can correct. It's just a compromise for advertisers.

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, you don't have to wait until it finishes. You can hit pause, play, or replay in the middle to stop the forwarding.

14. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    After all my deliberation and talking to DTV when ordering, guy shows up with a HR24! Tells me it's better.

If course, I insist on the THR22, and it took no effort to have him orient to this request. He didn't have one in his truck so he had someone meet him at my house to deliver him one. About 40 minutes.

I have TiVo!