1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do dish covers work?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by twcbrandon, Jan 22, 2009.

1. twcbrandon

twcbrandon Cool Member

Dec 20, 2008
    What is your experience with them?

2. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    Do you have any examples?

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    At what ? keeping the dish clean - yeah. Preserving signal from precipitation - not so much.

4. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

5. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Why? Are you planning to get a dish?

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish covers will reduce snow build-up on the dish, but it won't do anything for rain/cloud fade.

7. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    That thing is UGLY!

8. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I agree. I thought he meant more like these.

[​IMG]

http://dishskinz.com/

9. DavidRobert

DavidRobert Cool Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have used the full cover as shown by Jason since 2000. It was sold from Canada, I think, and was advertised in the DISH Monthly guide back then. I no long can find out who sells it, as mine is getting old. I am happy with it and no issues.
    It has protected it from the sun/elements and I hoped it would protect the LNBF. I'd buy another if I could. Does any one know who sells them now??

10. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It is very effective in protecting your reciever from getting satellite transmitted diseases.

Seriously, I would think that it would keep snow from collecting on your dish. I don't have one and haven't had too many problems will signal loss due to snow (my dish is on the ground anyway so it is easy to remove snow/ice). Maybe it would be effective for someone who lives in a snowy environment.

11. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Those are skins not covers. They are decoration only.

12. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    They work great if you live in an area with significant snow and ice accumulation.

In the summer I have issues with wasps making nests in LNBF's, and the 4 years I used a dish cover I never had a nest blockage issue.

So Rick you may think they are ugly, but I'd bet I have less outages than you do.

13. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    http://www.wedgiecovers.com/

14. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    In southern climates the dish covers do a good job at protecting the face of the LNB from becoming discolored and eventually cracking from the intense sunlight.

They do nothing for rain fade, as the rain fade occurs in the atmosphere, NOT at the dish.

A heavy-duty plastic garbage bag and a little duct tape works equally well at 1/100th the cost. In fact, in areas where snow is not a concern you need only cover the LNB assembly, not the entire dish.